Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Scooby: Squats Are Evil

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A quote from T-Nation that I enjoyed:

Quote:
"Our spines are not designed to handle this vertical compression"

Oh yes, I think I read that humans used to move objects by sitting on the ground and pushing them forward with their legs.

The unfortunate consequence of this video is that people who just don't want to squat because its hard are now justifying themselves by assuming right off the bat that their spine is weak and worthless.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just in case you want to buy into Scooby's message, he also claims to be natural AND have 8% bodyfat while weighing 235 pounds. That's larger than Arnold. (Scooby is shorter)

What really irks me is that Scooby presents himself as anti-establishment/magazines/supplements because these products/industries are "misleading", and then he presents completely inane and unreasonable goals to natural trainees.

Anyone that has attended more than one natural bodybuilding show knows that:

A) There are no naturals weighing 235 with 8% body fat.
B) Scooby looks smaller than bodybuilders weighing 180 with 8% body fat.

I guess my big point here is to not take anything as face value. Research everything that is said, and that includes what I say...

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-27-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Question: When using basketball to build my stability on leg day, should I use low reps of basketball or high reps of basketball? Should I superset basketball with something else?

His logic regarding leg press vs. the squat is severly flawed. Anyone who's ever done a leg press knows that (because of mechanical advantage) 495lbs on the leg press is not the same load on the legs as 495 lbs on a barbell doing squats.

The reason 10.2% of the population have back problems is because people are out of shape and sit on there ass too much. Of course injuries from lifting objects happens, but you can throw out your back picking up a shoe off the ground if you do it wrong. His use of this statistic is misleading.

Last but not least, he doesn't address the knees. IMO Leg press carries just as much potential for knee injuries as squats, do. In all reality they probably carry more potential that squats.

Any type of pressing puts strain on the rotator cuff. So by his logic no one should do any presses movements unless you are 18-40, trained by a coach, have no family history of shoulder problems, and are in a cage. His logic is once again flawed

This video is stupid. Scooby is kind of ignorant.

Overhead pressing, deadlifting, lateral raises, shrugs, Any standing movement also puts compression on the spine, are we to avoid them as well? By his logic we are.

Last edited by BigJosh; 04-27-2011 at 07:15 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post

The reason 10.2% of the population have back problems is because people are out of shape and sit on there ass too much.
Exactly.

I have 2 family members with back problems and they sit all day. When I sit too much for work it destroys my back.

Yes, lifting can be dangerous. Especially too much lifting with heavy weight, or using poor form. But the health benefits far outweigh the risks. My back is much healthier than more 40 year old men I know...by miles.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-27-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Squats fixed my back. I have never felt this strong, even when I weighed 45 kilos less than I do now.
Scooby is a retard.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

He's a f*cking idiot. The only thing he really said that made sense was that it definitely helps to have someone knowledgeable help teach you the squat. The rest was pure stupidity.

For one thing, no novice is going to squat 495lbs. Squatting 495lbs is considered an "advanced" to "elite" athlete. Anyone who tries to squat more than just the bar their first go round needs to get a gentle bit of advisement on "learn with the bar, then slowly add weight."
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Graeme
Brawn
Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2 Points: 104, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Graeme is new to the forumGraeme is new to the forum

Scooby is always such a pain in the ass, yet I keep watching his new videos and don't unsubscribe. The dude is just full of shit, plain and simple. Everybody go watch "If it tastes good, spit it out".
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Scooby sounds like a tit !! And I cant even see the vids, that just from you guys' responses...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

As one that has had his L5-S1 surgically repaired, this view is frightening. So I am, to borrow his illustration, to favor 495lbs of pressure focused on my L5-S1 ( as in the leg press) over an even distribution of the weight? I understand the physics of gravity and disc compression, but even normal sitting is often too much for my lower back.

According to his 4 prerequisites, I meet one, D. I have a squat rack, which I often fail to set at hip level. Shoot, I have not even been squatting in the rack recently. I must be a total failure.

10.2% may have "debilitating back injuries," but, according to my back doctor, nearly 80% have some sort of disc issue in their life time. Like Abaddon, squats have helped my back. When I do feel the effects of compression, as I have recently, I change things up and front squat, hack squat or Jefferson Squat alond with some decompression stretches to relieve the compression.

As a home trainer, I have found some useful stuff on Scooby's site. Like anything on the internet, you have to question everything and use what is good and chuck what sucks. This video will be chucked... it sucks!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote