Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post

For one thing, no novice is going to squat 495lbs. Squatting 495lbs is considered an "advanced" to "elite" athlete.
Nail on the head.

Most of Scooby's subscribers won't squat much more than 225, if that. If we are keeping it real, most don't deep squat at all. That's just the way the average Gym Rat is.

We might see a lot of guys on the forums squatting more than 400, but they are 1 in 1000 compared to hat's going on in gyms, and the folks searching for "ripped abs build muscle" on the Interwebz.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

10.2% may have "debilitating back injuries," but, according to my back doctor, nearly 80% have some sort of disc issue in their life time. Like Abaddon, squats have helped my back. When I do feel the effects of compression, as I have recently, I change things up and front squat, hack squat or Jefferson Squat alond with some decompression stretches to relieve the compression.

As a home trainer, I have found some useful stuff on Scooby's site. Like anything on the internet, you have to question everything and use what is good and chuck what sucks. This video will be chucked... it sucks!
Scooby does have some interesting information.

Regarding back, I think I probably would have had problems if it were not for lifting.

I guess my big point here wasn't so much about the squats. It was about researching things that are said. I came across his anti-establishment message and thought to myself, hey, this might be a good reference site. And then I saw his stats and felt let down.

Working in the industry you learn about limits and reasonable stats and goals. You also learn that naturals bodybuilders do as well. Experienced naturals, competitors or not, sooner or later learn that 235 at 8% bodyfat isn't happening unless you are 6'10".

Sure, I understand he might be the world's worst caliper reader.

Again, my larger point is that every information source on the web, no matter how good it sounds, needs to be referenced.

Are squats worse for your knees than leg presses? Research.
Can you become 8% bodyfat at 235? Research.

The way things get muddled in this industry is that 90% of the forum hoppers read or listen to something like this, don't research, and we get madness and confusion. Then folks wonder why everyone has dissenting opinions.

Research.

And never take my word for things. Research my philosophies as well. My need to be right is never greater than my desire for someone to succeed.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-28-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Soccer for stabilizer muscles?

I am not trying to be a dick here but I would wager both my testicles that running and cutting on a grassy field is far riskier than squatting with proper form. Then again the gonads who squat for shit probably should run around and kick balls.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

This guy for real.. And does people actually accept him as an authority when it comes to liftin? Come on.. :P
Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

My question is about leg press.

We all know that there is information that reveals leg extensions might be bad for kness. But can anyone find information on possible knee concerns for leg presses?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

This video just made me really really angry and now I want to squat even more weight!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My question is about leg press.

We all know that there is information that reveals leg extensions might be bad for kness. But can anyone find information on possible knee concerns for leg presses?
I need to find the reference, but I thought the problem with the press was back related more than knee related.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I need to find the reference, but I thought the problem with the press was back related more than knee related.
If you find it let me know.

Same for leg extensions.

I think it would be good to sticky both sides of the argument. I actually like leg extensions (sorry Swede but I have a Tom Platz man-crush) and have never read the information against them, but would like to.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you find it let me know.

Same for leg extensions.

I think it would be good to sticky both sides of the argument. I actually like leg extensions (sorry Swede but I have a Tom Platz man-crush) and have never read the information against them, but would like to.
Hell, I wish I had his legs too... holy quadriceps, Batman!
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

If we listened to every piece of advice of this nature, we'd sit and do nothing...then guess what....yep, they tell us that was bad too

I've seen the same sort of arguments put forward concerning yoga postures, admittedly some are bad (or not so great for you, depending) but the ones where they say they are detrimental and want to prove the point on, they will go to extreme lengths and use examples of "incorrect and unsafe" use/movement which is not the same as correct and safe movement...pretty much where Scooby is going concerning the squats, as Aurik highlighted, people build up to those weightloads which then ensures some degree of safety; everyone knows that an injury can occur at any time even with near perfect form.