Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Supplements, why? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5775)

big_swede 04-04-2011 05:12 PM

Supplements, why?

Why should i take supplements to become as big and strong as possible, when i can achieve that by eating alot of food, which is cheaper and probably purer?

So, arguments pleace!!

5kgLifter 04-04-2011 05:20 PM

Well, I don't use supplements, so I can't argue with that.

Then again some have suggested that supplements do sometimes work out cheaper than real food, and that they're ideal for getting the calories up in situations where people just can't physically eat a huge volume of food (for whatever reason).

BendtheBar 04-04-2011 07:36 PM

Here's my take.

It isn't like supplements make you magically big and strong. Those claims are for the fringe supps. And there is so much more to supplementation than just nutrition.

Xtend helps with my recovery as does BCAAs, even when I am eating enough. My DOMS are noticeably better. Fish oil and joint supps I use as a fail safe. Fish oil helps with inflammation.

I don't always have the time to eat perfectly, or a diverse amount, so I take beef aminos and a multivitamin. Test boosters help with my recovery as well. Protein powder...well, I don't want to be choking down chicken all day long. So it's a convenience.

Creatine improves my performance and endurance, and that impact is multiplied when I take it with beta alanine. A pre-workout gives me good focus and energy, which I appreciate because I am not always 100% every day.

Supplements help me to perform better, help with quality of life, energy, health, joint health, sexual health. I wouldn't trade my staples for anything.

A 1% edge when training hard is a 1% edge I will take. I used to be completely anti-supplement until I could afford them and try them. I learned that there is so much more to supplementation than nutrition.

You can eat perfect and still have joint issues, DOMS and feel drained. We all have been there, especially if we train hard. I am not here to sell anyone anything, but I will say that I have learned not to discount the impact of supps until I try them.

Xtend literally changed my life. So did the focus from the pre-workout Muscle Marinade, as well as the strength boost I get from creatine. That along with test boosters and BCAAs and my recovery is much better. I never, never, never have to suffer through intense muscle soreness anymore. Because of this I can train better, with less worry about injury.

Quite frankly, I wish I had the money to take all of the supps I want to take. But I don't.

Chillen 04-04-2011 08:20 PM

I agree with the use of Creatine (mono), it is supported in quality research papers.

Whether I decide to take a supplement depends on my dietary and training goals. For example: I will not take Creatine Mono, when leaning down because of the tendency for it to cause water retention (and carbohydrates are lower). However, I will take Creatine Mono when wanting to add weight, because carbohydrates are up (which aides water to muscle), and due to its water retention side effects.

Another example: When using diet/training to lean down, I tend to want hard-long digesting foods, and do not like to drink liquids (because they digest a much faster rate); therefore, I will refrain from Whey powder for this reason (sometimes I may use a scoop in Fiber-One cereal), unless I am not hitting my personal protein target (which is especially essential in a leaning down diet), then I will. But this is rare.

Other than the possibilty of these two (and flax and fish oil), I tend to manipulate calories and macros to achieve what I want out of training, and generally do not take anything.

Edit: I tend to use a fiber supplement when dieting-down, it swells in the stomach, and aides the deviation of hunger cravings. For example, I will eat regular-fiber one, and sprinkle a Fiber Supplement and sometimes whey powder with it. In addition, though generally not viewed as a supplement, I view going to the grocery store with the sole purpose of buying (food items) that are extrememely low in calories to combat hunger cravings when leaning down as a: Proactive supplment, and I fill my fridge and cupboard with them.

Peace and happiness.

Szelago 04-04-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 127084)
It isn't like supplements make you magically big and strong. Those claims are for the fringe supps. And there is so much more to supplementation than just nutrition.

Xtend helps with my recovery as does BCAAs, even when I am eating enough. My DOMS are noticeably better. Fish oil and joint supps I use as a fail safe. Fish oil helps with inflammation.

I don't always have the time to eat perfectly, or a diverse amount, so I take beef aminos and a multivitamin. Test boosters help with my recovery as well. Protein powder...well, I don't want to be choking down chicken all day long. So it's a convenience.

Creatine improves my performance and endurance, and that impact is multiplied when I take it with beta alanine. A pre-workout gives me good focus and energy, which I appreciate because I am not always 100% every day.

Supplements help me to perform better, help with quality of life, energy, health, joint health, sexual health. I wouldn't trade my staples for anything.

A 1% edge when training hard is a 1% edge I will take. I used to be completely anti-supplement until I could afford them and try them. I learned that there is so much more to supplementation than nutrition.

You can eat perfect and still have joint issues, DOMS and feel drained. We all have been there, especially if we train hard. I am not here to sell anyone anything, but I will say that I have learned not to discount the impact of supps until I try them.

Xtend literally changed my life. So did the focus from the pre-workout Muscle Marinade, as well as the strength boost I get from creatine. That along with test boosters and BCAAs and my recovery is much better. I never, never, never have to suffer through intense muscle soreness anymore. Because of this I can train better, with less worry about injury.

BTB pretty much wrote what I was just about to write.
I guess the only thing that I might add is that some supps may help with specific medical issues as well. That is the case for me anyway. I would rather take a food derived supp than a pharceutical if I have that option.
And often the supps are a cheaper way to go (fish oil and protein powder for example)

big_swede 04-05-2011 12:54 AM

Good replys!

I use free aminos, protein powder and creatine. Also a pwo at occasion to get extra energy during intense periods of work and lifting.