Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Olympic Lifts Check In

Which Olympic lifts or variations have you tried, successfully incorporated into a strength or muscle building workout, or didn't like so you set them aside?

I have tried power cleans. I used them frequently in 1986 when I first began lifting. When I revisited them a few years back I found that because of my bulk I could not hold the bar properly (my hands do not come anywhere near my chest or shoulders). This made the completion of the lift nearly unbearable so i set them aside. If I had access to Olympic plates I would try them again.

I have also tried hang cleans, but had the same issue.

Also, regarding power cleans they seem to stress my elbows in unusual ways. I was not sure if this was a form issue, or merely that my strength was allowing me to use more weight than I was ready to use.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Power cleans are the only lift I've tried and I like them, though I can't use really heavy weight because I have plates that won't fare too well if dropped, no bumper plates and I workout at home upstairs so it kind of limits the weight load to a degree.

Not sure if KB Jerk would fit here, but if it does, then that has been incorporated as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Ive been messing around quite a lot with the OL lifts lately

Powercleans i ve been doing for a while, and ive had the same problem as you but after doing some stretching that dmaipa showed me im actually able to rack the bar now (at front delts), and it didnt take to long. The powerclean is a GREAT deadlift assistant exercise imo, and added lbs and power to my deadlift in a short time after i started doing it regularly.

C&J - Very fun lift that really adds power (lbs!) to your strict oh press aswell.

Snatch - Very technical lift that fires your CNS up and gets it ready to DO WORK! Im currently going very light on this lift to really get the form in.

OL Lift assitance work?
To work on different parts of a lift you can perfom
OH Squat, Snatch pull, Rack shrug, OL press among others
The ol lifters do alot of front squats (clean grip) and also back squats, explosive, low reps and always deeeeeeeeeep.

Suggested approach to incorporate OL work into your ordinary routine?
'
I like doing the snatch or c&j as the first lift on push (major lift) days and powercleans on pull (major) days.
Try it, youll probably notice that you're up to move heavier weights with greater acceleration, faster than your used to == CNS already alert and lots of muscle requited from the ol lifts.

This are just based on my own experience, im in no way an expert on the subject.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I very much like doing some Olympic style work.

Overhead squats with an empty oly bar are a staple of my warmup.

I worked about 10 weeks of this program at one point and had a blast with the program.
In fact, that program is printed and sitting in front of me RIGHT NOW!

Olympic Weightlifting Primer

My desk, and stuff I'm working on. The oly program, and various other program notes.
I worked up to being able to overhead squat 2x5x95.

The snatch width BHNP moves were an eye opener, and I really like how they hit the delts. Another move that was an ego bruiser, was overhead pressing, snatch grip in the down position.

I'm currently working on a variation of the Reeves that will include a clean and press move. Olympic moves have fallen out of favor among the mainstream. This is a real shame, as they have a lot to offer.

Steve, your comments about how the move got uncomfortable with your arm mass, is exactly why Oly lifters do not do arm work that build arms mass. They need to be able to hold the bar in a specific way. Excess arm mass is counter to their needs.

If your looking to lose some weight. Adding Oly moves into your schedule is a great way to boost up your system, and burn some fat.

More oly work is going into my schedule in the near future. I had started the challenge on the Eder which has cleans as part of the program. I'll get back to it.

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

This is a 95% finished, variation of the Eder challenge program. I wanted to have some more oly based moves in the program, as I really liked how they worked.

Mon
cleans .........5x3/ohp+2Front squats
squats .........3x5-8
BB/DB rows ...3x5-8
BHNP ...........2x8-10
bench ..........5x5-8
BB calf raise ..3x15-20
ab

Wed
Overhead Squat ...5x3
squat .................3x5-8
DL .....................5x3
Snatch grip BHNP..3x10
Dips....................5xBW
BB curl................2x10
ab

Fri
cleans ...................5x3/ohp+2Front squats
squats....................3x5-8
Snatch high pulls .....5x3
bhnp .....................2x8-10
Dips.......................5xBW
BB calf raise ...........3x15-20
ab

The instructions are still being written.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

im hoping to be doing Power Cleans again soon and/or OH Squats... I did PC's for a few weeks at the end of last year and really liked them, but I havent tried any of the other ones...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Steve, your comments about how the move got uncomfortable with your arm mass, is exactly why Oly lifters do not do arm work that build arms mass. They need to be able to hold the bar in a specific way. Excess arm mass is counter to their needs.
Very good point.

I learn something new every day.

By the way, our desks look similar, although mine is not as neatly organized. I have program notations everywhere.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Someday I hope to work overhead squats into a program, should I ever have a ceiling that will allow them.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I'm gonna have to disagree with GL for the arm mass. There are many Olympic lifters who have big arms. IMO it comes down to flexibilty. If you are unable to catch the bar properly you will feel it alot in your arms, especially if the path of the bar is in a curved arch which will mean that you are basically doing a heavy ass reverse curl.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
IMO it comes down to flexibilty.
In my case I can't get my hands anywhere near my shoulders/chest. I can't speak for anyone else, but even holding 275 pounds on front squats, which I have tried with an Olympic style grip, I'm still 2 inches away.

With my forearms resting on my biceps, it's physically impossible.