Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Just checking in here, I started doing powercleans again last week and I really enjoy them. But I also have problems getting the bar to rack in the correct place, just need to keep working on my flexibility.

I have also messed around with snatches, which are fun to do every once in a while. I also like to do hang cleans off of pins. Very explosive movement.

Olympic lifts are fun to do, I do not worry about my form too much. I do not need perfection, just want to do them safely and have fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post

I'm gonna have to disagree with GL for the arm mass. There are many Olympic lifters who have big arms.

I'm not saying they don't have some size. Pure oly lifters are not concerned with doing curls, and building the beach muscles.

There was an interview with an oly coach I was reading who was talking about this aspect, and catching the bar. I'll see if I can find it.

However, even in Oly training, there are several different training styles. Some styles only do the lifts and a little bit of assistence leg work, while others include a lot of various movements. It is as big a debate as fullbody and split training is in BB circles.

IMO it comes down to flexibilty.

Totally agree D. Most of the Oly training stuff I look at shows the lfiters to be very flexible. Moreso than most people would think.

If you are unable to catch the bar properly you will feel it alot in your arms, especially if the path of the bar is in a curved arch.

As I understood it. You wanted the bar to be pulled with as vertical a path as possible so as to not have that reverse curl effect you mention. The lower the lifter could catch the bar at, and then rise up out of the bottom squat position meant an easier finish of the lift.

It is also often said that Olympic lifts are mostly a CNS training event. IMO this is often misunderstood to mean that they are not really strong except in an explsovive movement. They are in fact very strong, in a pure power sense.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Yes, another mistake that lifters have is using too much arms during the lift. It's not abou pulling the bar up to you, it's about pulling yourself under the bar.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Yes, another mistake that lifters have is using too much arms during the lift. It's not abou pulling the bar up to you, it's about pulling yourself under the bar.
Which is way harder than it sounds.

I'm looking for that article. I had a ton of links on oly stuff saved , but my computer had crashed awhile back, and I lost all my favorites.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Oly lifts take alot of power and speed
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
glwanabe
Max Brawn

I like this. he just throws that bar around like it is nothing.

This is good as well

Last edited by glwanabe; 02-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I have been doing snatches as of late and it's nothing but awesome

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote