Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for the advice Bam. I need to bring up both my shoulders and back. Real weak points for me.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't feel like an injury, it feels like I did a bunch of lat work along with my shoulder workout. But I didn't...
Andy, I wasn't clear in my last post.

One of the reasons my shoulder got injured was that I very weak stabilizer muscles. So, a lot of my PT was focused on strengthening them so that the entire shoulder joint could be stable.

It's also helped my back and chest work to be more effective.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I had a shoulder injury in the past also. I separated the growth plate from the rest of my shoulder, or something like that. I did months of therapy, but it never bounced back. Probably should have had surgery but the doctor didn't want to since I was 13. It was brought on by pitching every single one of my baseball team's games without being properly warmed up. I was touching 75 on the radar at 13, the team wanted to win, so I pitched. Kinda screwed me over in the long run since I'm not playing now. I can't throw a whiffle ball without being sore for days. Maybe that has something to do with it. How did you strengthen the stabilizers?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
How did you strengthen the stabilizers?
My PT used a lot of different exercises. Some with weight, most without.

First thing he taught me was scapular retraction and depression. Almost all exercises he had me do were in this fashion.

I will try to describe some of them:

1. Lay your chest on a stability ball with arms at you side, palms up. Have a 2-3 pound DB. Depress shoulder blades. Now, lift palms in air. Hold for 2 seconds at top. 3 sets of 10.

2. Stand with your back against a stability ball between you and the wall. Again, use a 2-3 pound DB. turn your hands as so that palms are out and thumbs are down. Depress shoulder blade and keep it in contact with stability ball. Lift dbs in a Y motion. This is called "Empty Can." 3 sets of 10.

3. Balance yourself in a stability ball as if you were in the starting push up position with hands on the outsides of the ball. Keeping arms locked, let torso shrug down towards the ball 2-3 inches (this is a very slight movement). Keeping arms locked, pull torso back up (think of yourself making your chest concave). Try 2 sets of 6-10. This is a very hard exercise. You can also do this while leaning against a wall in the house or on the floor.

4. Lie on a foam roller with it parallel to and under your spine. Have something the weight of a bowling pin in each hand (5-8# DB). Keeping arms locked and straight up in the air while holding the weight. Shrug the weight down and then back up to starting position. 2 sets of 15.

Those are few that I can think of at the moment.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Thanks man, I'll have to try that.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Welcome!