Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fat Loss and Diet

I think I say this phrase at least 10 times a day:

Quote:
Fat loss is primarily about diet.
Unless, of course, you have the time to workout 3+ hours a day.

I run into so many people looking for a miracle workout who never think about what they are eating...or who don't want to change what they are eating much.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Fat loss being about diet is a double-edged sword...I mean, we reduce the calories to lose fat but when you throw exercise into the mix (or higher intensity exercise) you can still lose more fat (and gain muscle) but need a whole lot more calories than you did when the initial fat loss took place.

Though, I guess you could say that's because the muscle mass is then being maintained as well...so yeah, in theory it still holds true anyway.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I guess it all boils down to a lifestyle for me.

The average person doesn't want a fitness lifestyle, or clean eating on most days. They want a quick solution, be it a workout or quick fix diet, and then dream about returning to life as is.

I think it's rare (maybe 10-30%) to see the average person, at least the ones I deal with on an average day, want both a workout and a smart and healthy eating approach.

Most want a workout for maximal fat loss, and while I'm sure they realize that some cutting of calories will be involved, it appears to me that they believe the workout to have a much greater degree of importance.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Generally speaking, for athletes, if you reduce the calories, training volume MUST be reduced to retain strength. However if you reduce volume, you have to keep the intensity the same. Things need to be taken away or added in place of other things in order to make sure you're not just wasting away whatever gains you made.

But diet will always be the most important thing to manipulate when it comes to fat loss.

http://www.fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com

-------

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." - George Bernard Shaw

"Start wide, expand further, and never look back." -Arnold Schwarzenegger
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Brackneyc
New Brawn
Points: 329, Level: 6 Points: 329, Level: 6 Points: 329, Level: 6
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Brackneyc is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess it all boils down to a lifestyle for me.

The average person doesn't want a fitness lifestyle, or clean eating on most days. They want a quick solution, be it a workout or quick fix diet, and then dream about returning to life as is.

I think it's rare (maybe 10-30%) to see the average person, at least the ones I deal with on an average day, want both a workout and a smart and healthy eating approach.

Most want a workout for maximal fat loss, and while I'm sure they realize that some cutting of calories will be involved, it appears to me that they believe the workout to have a much greater degree of importance.

That was me for many many years. I tried to out train a bad diet, and always felt the "routine" in the gym was the issue. It never was. Diet is the key. I lost 88 lbs doing nothing more than dropping pop, natural sugars and processed foods. I do have very good portion control, but in a short period of time, those "new" portions are all a person needs. IOW, retrain your body to the new lifestyle, and do not let you stomach be the boss.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
I lost 88 lbs doing nothing more than dropping pop, natural sugars and processed foods.
^ I can believe that completely. I think if the average adult could go back through the last 10 years, cut out only half the sugar snacks, chips and fast food trips they made, they would probably be around their perfect weight.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Brackneyc
New Brawn
Points: 329, Level: 6 Points: 329, Level: 6 Points: 329, Level: 6
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Brackneyc is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ I can believe that completely. I think if the average adult could go back through the last 10 years, cut out only half the sugar snacks, chips and fast food trips they made, they would probably be around their perfect weight.

This^^.

When people see me, they ask how I did it. They are always disappointed that I didn't use a super secret diet plan where you can "eat whatever you like, and still lose weight" type of diet.

I was medicated for Diabetes and High Blood Pressure. No more meds now. Bloodowork is perfect.....all due to diet.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Oscar Zaydok
Brawn
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Started Dec 2010
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
Oscar Zaydok is off to a bad start

I think I agree with BTB's comments about fat loss being mainly a result of your diet. Trying to burn off calories from overeating is not efficient. Better not to eat that much in the first place. The following video illustrates BTB's point.

Oscar Zaydok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
bigtim27
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

I know so many people that think if they just put in 20 minutes on a treadmill they should be able to eat whatever they like and then they get frustrated when they gain a few lbs. My old roommate was like that, She'd go to the gym do a lite treadmill workout and come home with a giant hoagie everynight and wonder why she wasn't losing any weight.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim27 View Post
I know so many people that think if they just put in 20 minutes on a treadmill they should be able to eat whatever they like and then they get frustrated when they gain a few lbs. My old roommate was like that, She'd go to the gym do a lite treadmill workout and come home with a giant hoagie everynight and wonder why she wasn't losing any weight.
This is part of the same belief system.

I wish exercise was the golden key. There are months now that I'm 43 where I can exercise and exercise, but if I eat 100-200 more calories per day than I should, I lose nothing. A few apples and some gum can push me over the top.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.