Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member
Default Pre-Post Nutrition and Digestion

Reading Rich's Cardio link (http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...catabolic.html) got me to thinking about the normal thought process about pre and post nutrition.

Let me say up front. I AM NOT a nutritionist.

If it takes 24 - 72 hours to digest whole foods, are we not, for the most part, training off our previous day's nutrition? Understanding, a little any way, absorption rates, would not a liquid pre meal be available faster then whole foods? Would it not be wiser, in the scheme of bulking for instance, to put more focus on our off day diet then on our training day diet?

I like to think through and outside the box. This is an area I really would love to see addressed more clearly.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

You will get some good replies on this i believe, and i stand with ya on sometimes liquid is better, but no liquid can make me feel like a 24 oz. steak will, BUT IT IS BETTER AT TIMES, due to as you said digestion rate
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

1. Remember digestion/absorption takes place from time into your mouth till time it hits the toilet. (hitting toilet is the 24-72 point)
2. Liquids digest and are absorbed way faster. SO yes a pre work out protein shake and maybe liquid amino's is always a good thing.

Thats why a liquid vrs a tablet for sups, the liquid is always recommended and better.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've read quite a bit on information on this topic, but it's hard to me to lay it all out intelligently...as it's not something I obsess much about.

I do know that most intra and post-workout nutrition is set up to address immediate needs, as well as to facilitate recovery. Basically it's structured to maximize recovery and rebound.

Most bodybuilders I know obsess about every meal and turn it into a science, so to your point, I think many already do think about meals the day before. They are constantly trying to maximize performance and gains.

Most try to cover their bases by keeping a steady stream of slow-digesting proteins throughout the day, and taking in fast digesting protein at key times, such as post-workout. Many intra-workout supps exist as well to address immediately carb, protein/amino needs.

I drink whey during a workout instead of a BCAA supplement like Xtend to keep a steady, but small stream of protein in my system during a workout. I also drink a liquid pre-workout with a banana (while not cutting).

Sorry for this hodge podge post. I need to organize my thoughts on this issue a bit better.

Where's Brad Borland when you need him....

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
You will get some good replies on this i believe, and i stand with ya on sometimes liquid is better, but no liquid can make me feel like a 24 oz. steak will, BUT IT IS BETTER AT TIMES, due to as you said digestion rate

Whole foods your body has to break them down before your body can fully start to absorb the nutrients. FATS major slow this down. This is were the full feeling last longer with a steak vrs a protein shake.

That were/why you also can eat fats with a whey protein shake and slow it down to be same as a casein pro shake.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

A good read for basics is "Franco Calumbo's book on bbing nutrition" for his time he was way ahead and the way he explains it it holds true today for the basics. He explains things in a way anyone can understand it.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Reading Rich's Cardio link (http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...catabolic.html) got me to thinking about the normal thought process about pre and post nutrition.

Let me say up front. I AM NOT a nutritionist.
lol Ya that is Eric Helm's specialty and were he has degreages in. Thats a minor detailed wright up compared to some of them. lol The guy is a nutrition freak and mind blowing in bbing info. He's up there with Lane Norton.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Thank to all some great info. Rather then trying to respond to each post individually, let me just ramble for a moment.

Most of what you read, in this modern era, focuses on the immediate time before and after training. BTB, your point is well taken and what I have experienced personally. The benefits of pre and post nutrition is for post training recovery. However, much of what you read sounds like if you do not eat a chicken breast and sweet potato an hour before training (BTW, I don't workout, I train... another story) you will end up like the RB at USC with a barbell stuck on your throat. Even the talk of protein synthesis seems to imply that if you don't have protein within milliseconds of your last rep you will wither up and die. I appreciate Layne Norton, Alan Aragon and others who seem to think and write logically concerning pre and post nutrition. Sorry to ramble, but this is an issue that I am really interested in learn about. It will not only help me in my own training, but also the seniors I am working with each week.

I think I have an electronic version of that book Rich, I will have to read it.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Great thread!

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #10
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I AM NOT a nutritionist either, but I have always worked on the assumption that you want an empty stomach (not fasted) but nothing actually in the gut while training as more blood will be directed away from the muscles to the gut to aid in digestion, so eating about 2-3 hours before works best for me.

On the point of having to have something the minute you finish your workout goes i think that is over egged a little by the sup companies. If you have a good amount of protein (and good quality protein at that) in your system from your diet then your amino acid levels should be OK for the workout. post workout, get you shake in within about 30 mins or so and then a good meal (carbs/protein/fats) about an hour to two hours after that.

As far as eating when not training the only difference to my diet really is that I dont have the PWO shake (obviously) and thats about it. i workout first thing in the morning, so i dont have time for food before hand and I literally cant train if I eat before hand (so within 30-45 mins before). I therefore sip some BCAA's and/or whey whilst training then have a good shake afterwards, then about an hour after than i have breakfast as normal and start my meals for the day from there.

Its logical to have more calories on training days as you expend more, but then you grow on the non training days too so IMO the calories are just as important then... just my 2p worth

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote