Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BTB's Muscle and Strength Books You Must Read (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4288)

BendtheBar 09-19-2010 09:02 AM

BTB's Muscle and Strength Books You Must Read

The muscle magazines do a good job of messing up your head. They make you believe that volume workouts are the only solution to muscle building, and that 5-6 day splits are the only way lifters have ever trained.

As a beginner, you owe it to yourself to read these books. They are classics, and are written by experienced natural coaches. These books promote simple, basic and effective training.

It is up to you how you train. We must all learn our bodies and evolve training to fit our needs. This thread does not exist to promote any style of training. It exists to educate you on mainstream training ideas that you may never have heard about.

Purchase these books, study these books and try the workouts in these books. They will help you much more then any muscle mag routine or article.

Real Strength Real Muscle

by John Christy

Real Strength Real Muscle - Remembering John

Brawn, 3rd Edition

by Stuart McRobert

Weight Training Technique

by Stuart McRobert

Starting Strength

by Mark Rippetoe

Never Let Go

by Dan John

Super Squats

by Randall Strossen

The Complete Keys to Progress

by John McCallum

dmaipa 09-19-2010 09:04 AM

thats a good list of books there BTB

BendtheBar 09-19-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 82566)
thats a good list of books there BTB

Thanks D. There are many, many more books I could have added. But I believe if a beginner spends $100 on these books before they purchase any supplements or muscle mag subscriptions, they will place themselves light years ahead of the pack.

BigFiveFive 09-19-2010 10:44 AM

once i get my kindle....

#Maverick# 09-19-2010 08:16 PM

good list what about the encyclopedia of modern body building i can provide a pdf of it which i got on my pc

BendtheBar 09-19-2010 09:14 PM

One of the things I am attempting to do is to provide some books that are an alternative to modern bodybuilding split/volume-based training. I don't include volume based books simply because they are already mainstream. I am not saying don't do splits - not by any means.

Most trainees have easy access to the 20 sets per bodypart programs, but they have never seen a 20 rep squat program, a fullbody approach, etc.

One thing they often don't understand is that there is an alternative, and an effective one - especially for beginners. That's what I am hoping to accomplish with this list.

big_swede 09-20-2010 01:07 AM

Good post steve

#Maverick# 09-20-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 82710)
One of the things I am attempting to do is to provide some books that are an alternative to modern bodybuilding split/volume-based training. I don't include volume based books simply because they are already mainstream. I am not saying don't do splits - not by any means.

Most trainees have easy access to the 20 sets per bodypart programs, but they have never seen a 20 rep squat program, a fullbody approach, etc.

One thing they often don't understand is that there is an alternative, and an effective one - especially for beginners. That's what I am hoping to accomplish with this list.

o i see man

Telpelin 01-04-2011 12:58 AM

i love to read, so...this should be right up my alley. God-willing I can find them for cheap or something...

BendtheBar 01-04-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telpelin (Post 103383)
i love to read, so...this should be right up my alley. God-willing I can find them for cheap or something...

I have most of them. If you want to read one I can send it your way.