Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Telpelin
Body-Builder
Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Starting Fresh
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pec Fly
Fav Supp: Dunno yet
Telpelin is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I have most of them. If you want to read one I can send it your way.
That would be awesome! My personal goal is to have a form like jay cutler abouts (that's about all the bodybuilders I'm familiar with)- which book(s) would be helpful in attaining that goal? If you had to pick one, or two
Telpelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telpelin View Post
That would be awesome! My personal goal is to have a form like jay cutler abouts (that's about all the bodybuilders I'm familiar with)- which book(s) would be helpful in attaining that goal? If you had to pick one, or two
Real Muscle Real Strength by John Christy is must reading for any natural lifter who wants to get big and strong - or just to get big. If interested PM me your address.

You may also want to check out these threads while the book is in transit:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-thread.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...on-thread.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/author/caseybutt/

For natural lifters, your best place to start is with:

1) John Christy.
2) Casey Butt.
3) Stuart McRobert.
4) Mark Rippetoe.

While they don't agree on everything, when reading them you will start to see a nice meta-analysis developing of how natural lifting should be performed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Telpelin
Body-Builder
Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Starting Fresh
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pec Fly
Fav Supp: Dunno yet
Telpelin is off to a bad start

What's the alternative to "natural lifting"? Is there a size difference?

Also, the PMing system won't allow me to send anything til I'm a more established member
Telpelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telpelin View Post
What's the alternative to "natural lifting"? Is there a size difference?

Also, the PMing system won't allow me to send anything til I'm a more established member
A big size difference. Most champion natural bodybuilders compete in the 170's to 180's depending on size.

Training approaches are also different because steroid users have better recovery abilities, heightened testosterone levels, and require more intense stimuli to keep growth coming. Naturals on the other hand have a finite growth potential due. Don't be dissuaded by this. You can still look big...just not Jay Cutler big.

Email me at: contact@muscleandbrawn.com

Send me your mailing address.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Thinking about asking for Brawn 3rd edition from my parents for my birthday that's coming up in a few weeks. Should give me some awesome reading material

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
Thinking about asking for Brawn 3rd edition from my parents for my birthday that's coming up in a few weeks. Should give me some awesome reading material
I have it sitting right here next to me.

Definitely a book I refer to often.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
I'm on the final chapter of this book. Interesting read.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

I'd like to add
Mass Made Simple - Dan John

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I would also add...
Dinosaur Training - Brooks Kubik
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Great books! Thanks! I plan on getting these books for christmas. Are there any others you recommend, maybe some directed towards powerlifting. I am very much liking the stuff going on here http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-strength.html and would love to read more on it.

At the moment I am almost finished reading Practical Programming for Strength Training.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote