Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Age & Morning Wood

A few questions, sort of a mini-poll. I am having a discussion on this topic and want to see what your opinions are...

1) Do you believe morning wood decreases with age?

2) If you are over 40, do you experience morning wood more then once per week?

3) If you are over 30, have you experienced any decrease in sexual drive, wood hardness, etc.?

4) If you have experienced any decrease in "capacities", do you believe it is from lower testosterone levels?

5) Has a test booster ever helped you with sexual function?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

As I understand it, morning wood is just a "don't piss the bed" preventive measure.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

What about the female version, a.k.a. "morning dew"? Heheh...

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
As I understand it, morning wood is just a "don't piss the bed" preventive measure.
That could be. And some say that testosterone levels are highest in the morning, and assist with morning wood. I don't know enough to agree or disagree.

What I'm most concerned with is real world experiences for the older men. I was debating some guys and I stated that morning wood decreases with age. I was attacked over this opinion.

I also mentioned that when I take test boosters, I experience an increase in morning wood and believe it to be tied in with higher test levels. I was attacked over this opinion.

I was also attacked by stating that a decrease in wood stiffness and morning wood was tied in with decreasing testosterone levels. I didn't say that low T is always the cause, but the response was that Low T is NOT the cause.

In posting these questions I am trying to find out if I am crazy, and need to educate myself on low T (and life)....or if decreased wood is normal, and if you believe there is a possibility that it can be caused by low T.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Also, I understand the relationship with REM and wood.

But I am asking if the decrease is testosterone related.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I just found this:

Bancroft, J. (2005). "The endocrinology of sexual arousal," Journal of Endocrinology, 186:411-427

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.or...full/186/3/411

In this hypothesis it is stated:

Quote:
NPT (Nocturnal penile tumescence aka morning wood) is clearly impaired in hypogonadal men, and restored to normal with testosterone replacement.

...Intramuscular testosterone enanthate had no effect on sleep parameters, and did not affect frequency, degree or duration of NPT, when assessed as penile circumference, but did increase, modestly but significantly, penile rigidity during NPT.
So the hypothesis states that lower testosterone impacts morning wood stiffness, and that TRT (or raising testosterone levels) improves morning wood.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
What about the female version, a.k.a. "morning dew"? Heheh...
Just as relevent a question, and I believe that it basically falls under the same factors, relative to women.

I saw some Dr's on TV talking about Estrogen cream for topical application that would return vaginal response to the same as before hormorne levels dropped with age.

Good topic. I think that staying active and healthy keeps your body running better. Without the need to keep those hormorne levels up your body will slowdown faster. Keep the demand high, and you can keep the oss to lowere levels. Thats does not take into account each individual, and how their body may have it's own idea as to what it's going to do, regardless of how healthy you ramain.

IMO,

One of the best things you can do to stay healthy sexually, is to keep having sex. Use it or lose it was never truer.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Just as relevent a question, and I believe that it basically falls under the same factors, relative to women.

I saw some Dr's on TV talking about Estrogen cream for topical application that would return vaginal response to the same as before hormorne levels dropped with age.

Good topic. I think that staying active and healthy keeps your body running better. Without the need to keep those hormorne levels up your body will slowdown faster. Keep the demand high, and you can keep the oss to lowere levels. Thats does not take into account each individual, and how their body may have it's own idea as to what it's going to do, regardless of how healthy you ramain.

IMO,

One of the best things you can do to stay healthy sexually, is to keep having sex. Use it or lose it was never truer.
That's odd because I know a buddy of mine has a wife that her libido has taken a nose dive and the Doc prescribed test for her. Quite the opposite of estrogen cream. But heck....applying any kind of cream there might help
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That's odd because I know a buddy of mine has a wife that her libido has taken a nose dive and the Doc prescribed test for her. Quite the opposite of estrogen cream. But heck....applying any kind of cream there might help
Rick, there are different hormonal imbalances that happen to women that can cause different side effects. Estrogen is not the primary sex drive hormone in women. Vaginal estrogen cream is used simply to relieve the normal vaginal and vulvar drying effect that menopause can bring.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Rick, there are different hormonal imbalances that happen to women that can cause different side effects. Estrogen is not the primary sex drive hormone in women. Vaginal estrogen cream is used simply to relieve the normal vaginal and vulvar drying effect that menopause can bring.
AH! Okay....good info!
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote