Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor
Default How high do you bulk?

I'm currently bulking up and when I measured my BF% it showed to be approximately 14% (Caliper Reading). I'm not too worried about gaining fat because I know I can take it right back up. As of right now, I am planning on just bulking until the beginning of the year then doing a cut. By then I will probably have a high BF%.

How high do you let your BF% get before you decide that it is the time for a cut?

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
j-5
Brawn
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

j-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributor

have been doing 14% and i know i can gain weight easy but it takes a little longer to get rid of it so ill prob stay around 12-13 in future bulks. It really depend on how fast your body can gain and lose the weight.
squat 405-455

training log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...e-weights.html
j-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I wouldn't go above 30 pounds of your contest weight.

What's your body weight right now?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
andys_trim
Max Brawn

andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I wouldn't go above 30 pounds of your contest weight.

What's your body weight right now?
Approx. 182.5 I don't really have a contest weight. Maybe after I finish Tri Phase I will do a cut

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
andys_trim
Max Brawn

How does one find out how many calories they need for maintenance? According to Iron Addict, you only need to eat slightly above maintenance to gain muscle and not a lot of fat. I've been stuffing my face and have added fat around the midsection. I'm not concerned about it, I just want to see if it works. And I wouldn't mind not adding too much more fat while going through ti-phase and eventually towards a small cut.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
j-5
Brawn
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

j-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributorj-5 is a dedicated contributor

Cutting. Lean body mass x 15
Bulking. Lean body mass x 23
Maintenance. Lean body mass x 19

ive also read articles where they say maintenance is bw X 16, different sources will have different numbers.
squat 405-455

training log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...e-weights.html
j-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
How does one find out how many calories they need for maintenance? According to Iron Addict, you only need to eat slightly above maintenance to gain muscle and not a lot of fat.
Keep in mind that this curve is better for intermediates. As a beginner, you can gain much more rapidly and should eat more aggressively.

Your lean body mass is around 157 right now. You have the potential to gain about 20 more pounds of muscle. Your contest weight right now would be around 162-165 ish (or lower) - you might (probably would) lose a small bit of muscle while dieting down.

Many naturals have no fundamental understanding of the growth curve, and many don't believe that potential is limited. Always remember that how aggressively you eat should depend on how close you are to your natural potential. You are young, full of test, and with a fast metabolism. You can run a tighter diet if you like, but it will only slow progress right now.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
andys_trim
Max Brawn

Thanks man that helps a lot

Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Thanks man that helps a lot
I hope I am helping.

Keep in mind that I am not debating Iron Addict...just trying to put his advice in context.

My lean body mass is 179. A bulk in any way, shape or form is pointless for me. I haven't gained an ounce of muscle in a decade. Some guys who believe that natural potential is unlimited have told me that my training must be for ****. I'll let my size speak for itself.

Once you have mastered how to gain muscle and how to eat for your body, you are generally no longer a beginner, and probably should run a tighter diet - like Iron Addict states.

The problem with beginners following this plan is that they are still growing like weeds just from rolling weights around the gym. A couple hundred extra calories per day will only add up to several pounds during the year, but if you eat too few calories, you could shut down gains dramatically.

Just remember that there are armies of young lifters out there training hard who make no gains year after year. Why? They undereat. So until you have hit beast mode, be careful about limiting calories.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
andys_trim
Max Brawn

That makes sense, but should I just keep eating and not worrying about BF% until I decide its time to cut?