Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My Daily Plate (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528)

ElementalVirago 06-12-2010 12:33 PM

My Daily Plate

So, I need to do *something*. I've been busting my hump in the weight room for a year now and the scale has not budged. Actually, it's gone up a little bit. I've been around the mountain enough to know that the scale doesn't really mean jack, however, at 5'4" I should NOT weigh 150 lbs. Almost no one can deny that. I recognize that my body type has always been more muscular (I'll never be one of the "give her a cheeseburger" skinny chix) and I couldn't even pay someone to tell me that I look fat or bad in any way, but the number is what it is. Unless I'm like 14% body fat, 150 lbs. is just not a good weight to be at.

With that being said, I think I need to take a look at my diet. I eat clean like 90% of the time, so I don't really track my calories. I know what's good for me and what isn't, I eat every 2-3 hours and although I have my occasional binges and make the occasional bad decision (hey, who doesn't?) I eat better than probably anyone I know. Still, if I'm overfat, it's gotta be in my diet right? I'm not sure I could work out more than I do without overtraining.

So...I logged myself onto livestrong.com as they have this "Daily Plate" where you can put your foods in there and it calculates all your calories and macronutrients. Pretty simple to use so, it seems cool. It asks you some questions about your goals and where you're at now, which I like, because it's not just giving out some arbitrary "one diet fits all" number. Based on my current stats and my activity level it states I need to consume about 2,619 calories to lose 1 pound a week (didn't want to lose more than that since I'm not too overweight). That...seems like a shtt ton of calories to me. Since I lift heavy 4 times a week and do cardio probably 4-5 times a week (and chase after two small kids on a daily basis), I put my activity level at "extremely active", the highest activity level offered. Maybe that was too high, I dunno. Just...2,619 cal. sounds way wrong.

They also have a rudimentary body fat % calculator, solely based on the measurements of: height, waist, hips and neck. According to that, I'm at 26.5% body fat. I know this method is the least effective but I'm telling you all this so you understand that I AM overfat. Well, as if being 5'4" and 150 pounds wasn't enough of an indicator. But again, people everywhere think I'm absolutely *insane* when I tell them I am overweight. They're always like, "Um...WHERE?" Numbers don't lie. And I can definitely look in the mirror and see that I need to get rid of this. Put me next to most other 5'4" 150 lb. chix and I do admit I look way better, but still.

So...get to the point, EV. Ok. Does 2,619 cal. sound right to you guys?? I so desperately need to lean out and this just sounds like waaaay too many calories to do that.

Trevor Lane 06-12-2010 12:42 PM

Judging by your activity that doesn't sound unreasonable for cals. I'm not an expert on anything, but have you thought about paleo?

nighttrain 06-12-2010 12:44 PM

it does sound kinda high to me, but im by far not a female fitness guru.... i know when i was cutting fat i was on a 2000 calorie diet 6 days a week with a 3000 calorie refeed day.. and i was 5'10 and 205 pounds... but i was losing way more tha 1 pound a week..

strkout35 06-12-2010 12:48 PM

i love that site, i use it all the time it really helps me keep my calories where they should be.

can't really help you as i don't know too much about diet, but just thought i'd let you know i use it too!

BendtheBar 06-12-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 62841)

So...get to the point, EV. Ok. Does 2,619 cal. sound right to you guys?? I so desperately need to lean out and this just sounds like waaaay too many calories to do that.

Simple answer...heck no. Right now as a man approaching 43 I can barely lose a pound a week at that level.

I would try 1800 and watch the scale for a week. And if that's not working, make adjustments.

I'm also with Trevor, I think it might not hurt to go "more Paleo" in that the majority of your calories come from fruits, veggies, meats, etc. This isn't a zero carb approach. It's more or less an approach that dumps carbs from grains and refined sugar.

ElementalVirago 06-12-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 62851)
Simple answer...heck no. Right now as a man approaching 43 I can barely lose a pound a week at that level.

I would try 1800 and watch the scale for a week. And if that's not working, make adjustments.

I'm also with Trevor, I think it might not hurt to go "more Paleo" in that the majority of your calories come from fruits, veggies, meats, etc. This isn't a zero carb approach. It's more or less an approach that dumps carbs from grains and refined sugar.

Ok thanks, that helps. And thanks for clarifying what "Paleo" is. I don't really eat a lot of refined carbs, but I do usually have oatmeal for breakfast (which I know isn't necessarily bad) but I do need to eat more raw veggies.

I'll track my calories for a couple of days and see what I'm at now, see if it's anywhere near 1800. I have a feeling I do go over that so 1800 sounds like a good goal. I want to make sure I'm eating enough just because I'm lifting and want to be able to still build mass (and not lose the muscle I have).

I tried a low-carb diet for a week with a refeed on that Saturday with nothing but straight cardio for that week (no lifting) but it didn't seem to do anything so I didn't continue it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I would have thought I'd have seen some loss in a week on a more-or-less keto diet. Plus I hate hate HATED not being able to lift for a whole week.

I guess I'm just not a good "cutter". And that sucks.

BendtheBar 06-12-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementalVirago (Post 62853)
I guess I'm just not a good "cutter". And that sucks.

Sneezy just cut for her first show.

Teen Christine Beauchamp Talks About Her First Figure Competition | Muscle & Strength

Maybe she could chime in on what she did...

bwys61 06-12-2010 02:34 PM

by your weight now and your activity level, that sounds correct. Have you ever had an RMR test done? I found out that I needed 3500 just to maintain muscle mass and 4000 to grow. I was starving myself so much, that my body was eating my muscles and holding onto the fat. Then I consulted a dietician and did my RMR, about 2 months before my last meet. I felt really strong and had a great meet. I feel it was the adequate kcal intake that made the difference

ElementalVirago 06-12-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwys61 (Post 62868)
by your weight now and your activity level, that sounds correct. Have you ever had an RMR test done? I found out that I needed 3500 just to maintain muscle mass and 4000 to grow. I was starving myself so much, that my body was eating my muscles and holding onto the fat. Then I consulted a dietician and did my RMR, about 2 months before my last meet. I felt really strong and had a great meet. I feel it was the adequate kcal intake that made the difference

It's been many years since I had an RMR done, probably when I was like 28 (so almost 10 years ago). I'm fairly certain my metabolism has changed a LOT since then, simply because of my age, the fact that I had 2 kids since then (having kids really changes your body in so many ways) and my activity level was different back then.

It's interesting that you say you were starving yourself. I often wonder if I am indeed not eating ENOUGH. I'll add that I've been taking a thermogenic (Lipo 6 Black Hers) for a couple of weeks now and that stuff really suppresses my appetite. Which normally would be a good thing I guess. Used to be I'd know if I wasn't eating enough during the day because I'd get crazy ravenous at night, now I don't, I think because of those pills. I dunno. This is all very confusing. Eat less? Eat more? Just seems like what I've been doing isn't working and I have no clue if I should increase or decrease calories.

Unfortunately I can't afford to consult a professional to recheck my RMR, etc. which is why I'm just experimenting.

ElementalVirago 06-12-2010 06:54 PM

So...interesting to note that so far today I've consumed 830 calories and burned off 352 (ran 3 miles).

Fail. :(