Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sleep and Nyquil overdose (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600)

Tugg McNutts 03-22-2010 10:52 AM

Sleep and Nyquil overdose

How often can I take Nyquil as a sleep aid? I don't care for the over the counter sleep aids because they leave me groggy for several hours. Nyquil works good and helps me sleep better. right now I only use it 2 to 3 times per week, but is it safe to use it more often?

glwanabe 03-22-2010 10:57 AM

When you go to the pharmacy, ask the pharmasist. Those guys know their stuff about drugs. They are far better informed about drugs than MD's.

You can also check out that same question through google.

Is Nyquil dangerous if taken every day? - Drugs.com

time to lift.

BendtheBar 03-22-2010 11:03 AM

Good link GL. Here's a quote:

Quote:

After 10 years of nightly use, if there was a problem he would surly know about it by now!
There's really nothing in it that would cause problems with continued use, but it is loaded with Acetaminophen, 500mg per 15ml, so as long as he doesn't take more then 120ml in one day (6 doses) there's no problem with liver tox, 4000mgs of acetaminophen is the daily max before it becomes toxic to the liver, so be careful if he takes other Tylenol products that same day. It's also loaded with alcohol, so I'm sure he knows as a truck driver he shouldn't take it while he's driving, I would think 2oz would be enough to give him a BAC of over .02% which would earn him a DWAI, but you said he only takes it at night.

ricka182 03-22-2010 11:03 AM

If you're having that kind of trouble sleeping, you should see a Doctor. Or if you are taking ay supplements with caffeine or other stimulants, you should either cut back or take them earlier in the day.. Regardless, I would never rely on Nyquil for a sleep aid....

BendtheBar 03-22-2010 11:13 AM

I think everyone I know over 40 has problems with good sleep :)

Tugg McNutts 03-22-2010 12:23 PM

I'm getting to that age. I've seen the doctor and they just say eat right, exercise and they recommend a OTC sleep aid.

ricka182 03-22-2010 01:34 PM

The best OTC sleep aid I have tried is Sleep MD. I forget the blend, but I take it about an hour before, and I usually find myself yawning and very tired pretty quickly. I get good solid sleep with no hangover drowsy feeling the next day..

I have also tried Alteril, which I can say didn't do anything for me. I find that Tryptophan heavy pills are more hype than anything IMO..

You could also try using hops if you can get them. Yes hops, the same hops that are in beer. Many sleep aids have small amounts of humulus lupulus, which is the family hops belong to. I drink hop tea to relax sometimes, and also the savor and fully get into the hops I'm trying...I'm a beer brewing geek, so I always have hops on hand...