Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default Got this fun idea about how to train

Thinking about a 4 days a week program. One day will be powrrlifting - bench, squat, deadlift. 2nd day ol, c&j, snatch and variations. 3rd day bodybuilding, lots of volume and pump, 4th day will be strongman events.

Had this on my mind for almost a year and figure its time to give it a try soon. What you guys say? Wouldnt this be fun?

Last edited by big_swede; 08-24-2016 at 11:23 AM.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
FlankNW
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 Years.
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: MEAT
FlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributorFlankNW is a dedicated contributor

Sounds like it would be great fun - how many gains you would/ how quickly get doing it, I don't know, but I guess one of the main aims of the game is to enjoy yourself.

I'd imagine it would be awesome for a newbie who could then get pretty good beginner gains across all of the lifts, but I think it might be a struggle for someone like yourself who's already very strong.

For me, I sort of combine days 1 and 4, and I find i need a lot of rest after doing strongman stuff. If you can handle it, more power to you!!
Bench 170 (142.5)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn

big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I will have to be carefull with the volume! And as you say, its just for fun. No goals of competing in anything. I do miss strongman and I miss the explosive lifts. The big 3 will always be in my training together with complements (bb day) so this might just be satisfying. Might also have me on my knees by end of week one but time will tell
Old 08-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!

I will just pass on what I did when I was training for a powerlifting meet and also training with an Olympic lifting team. I squatted and benched one day a week, did one light weightlifting session and then on Saturday when I maxed on the Olympic lifts, I deadlifted after since I was warmed up and to save my lower back. I think you could pull it off but I would either deadlift on the strongman day or the weightlifting day. If you Squat and Deadlift one day, do heavy snatches and C&J on another, and a strongman day where you may do yoke walks or stones may be too much on your lower back.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #5
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
I will just pass on what I did when I was training for a powerlifting meet and also training with an Olympic lifting team. I squatted and benched one day a week, did one light weightlifting session and then on Saturday when I maxed on the Olympic lifts, I deadlifted after since I was warmed up and to save my lower back. I think you could pull it off but I would either deadlift on the strongman day or the weightlifting day. If you Squat and Deadlift one day, do heavy snatches and C&J on another, and a strongman day where you may do yoke walks or stones may be too much on your lower back.
Good thinking to do deadlift after oly. pulling heavy from the floor twice a week could be hard to get used to if you don't usually do it, so watch out for that.
another thing you can do while keeping the nature of the program is cycle the intensity, switching off heavy/light for a day each week.
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn

Thanks for your input guys!

I had in mind to maybe do the deadliftin together with either events or OL as you suggest, possibly after bench on the PL day when doing lower intesity. Its all just in my mind and I will let it grow on me a bit and then write something up. Keep it coming!