Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
jwood
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Thoughts on Crossfit?

I wanted to get a discussion going on Crossfit and everyone's thoughts here. I like a lot of strength athletes have had a pretty negative view on crossfit for a long time. However, my views are starting to change. I listen to a lot of stuff from Mark Bell, and I know he is biased since he works directly with Reebok, Rogue and Crossfit. But it peaked my interest and I started looking into more stuff on crossfit.

I think it is cool how the top level guys train. I still feel that the average crossfitter does not get that much out of it, going to the gym to do 1 daily Wod. Turns out the top guys are training 3-4 times a day, but they are very short sessions. For example, short conditioning in the morning, a heavy lift mid day, and then one or two more conditioning workouts later that also hit accessories. These sessions are all very short but intense. I think it would be cool to train this way if I had the time.

I have started to incorporate some crossfit conditioning in my training. Once a week I have been doing an intenses Metabolic Conditioning session. I am really liking it, it only takes 10-12 minutes, so I do not feel it affects recovery much. I think it is good to give your body different stimulus from time to time to be the best all around strength athlete I can be.

I have a lot more thoughts on this, but maybe some others would like to chime in.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
christinem
Max Brawn

Fav Exercise: All things Zercher
Fav Supp: Pancakes & Backstrap
christinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master memberchristinem is a master member

I agree with you on the conditioning. 7-12m at the end of my training feels awesome. I don't agree with reps for time and bad form though.
I'm on Christmas Abbott's Oxygen magazine challenge. So many woman are getting hurt already, and it's only day 19. We haven't even added in weights yet.

Going on new training plan tomorrow, not CF, but rocking the conditioning here and there.
christinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Knarf Dorsey
Rage against the Age
Brawn

Training Exp: 30 Years
Training Type: HIT
Fav Exercise: Cleans
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
Knarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributorKnarf Dorsey is a consistent contributor

I do not do Crossfit. However, my training style does bear a close resemblance to it. As an older guy, I find it beneficial to keep moving (it's amazing how fast you stiffen up when you get older). The one thing I would never do, as Christine indicated, it reps for time. Quite frankly, that boggles my mind.

It's not the weight you use, but how you use the weight.
Knarf Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributor

I once heard someone's opinion that there are good and bad trainers in all sports. Crossfit, powerlifting, rugby etc. I think Crossfit has a cert program and the commercial potential that attracts a lot of bad trainers.

Aside from it being an OK form of conditioning. I did a crossfit style program a few years ago and my endurance made decent progress. However, with the official organization there is a lot of gimmick involved with it which is why I don't like it.

On top of that it could be dangerous for your average desk job guy since he's usually deconditioned, probably jogs twice a week, and he can't jump straight into the power training they want him to do. But that can be a matter of the trainer, if he follows a reasonable progression into that type of training (which most of them don't).
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 17
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Squats
Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!

Some of Crossfit stuff is ok or even good, but the way it is structured or lack of structuring. Is flawed. What I do like is the short HIIT style workouts for conditioning. But that was something that was here long before Crossfit.

What I don't like is the Reps for Time, How do you progress in a program like that. Go Faster or Faster with more weight... That is a MAJOR FLAW. It's a ticking time bomb when your going to get hurt. And yes everyone lifting weights any style can get hurt. But the goal is to min. that so your not on the sideline losing gains.

Every person I know personal. Ones I can call on my phone and chat with that have been doing crossfit. The list of injuries, Major injuries and the time off they have taken. Is way beyond I'd say 5x more then in my whole 17yrs lifting. Dislocated Shoulders, Herniated Disk, fractured wrist, broken ankles and seems like it takes a toll on the body faster then other styles of lifting.

I have never trained crossfit, but I have ran tactical courses against them. For SORT training, most of those younger guys do crossfit. Me being 36 now. Can still outrun them (short sprints), out jump, and smoke them on the course. Plus I'm much stronger then them.

Now they do beat me in the 3.5 Mile run.

At the end of the Day. It's a Choice and to each their own. I have seen a trend of CF people come over to RAW Powerlifting and quit CF.

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com
Meet PR's: 480/320/520 Total: 1320 @180
GYM PR's 520/340/550 = 1,410

instagram @ramrodreviews #RRR
Powerlifting Routines
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
LittleRhino
Brawn

LittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributor

Crossfit gyms (I refuse to call it a box) seem to have an awesome variety of equipment and honestly is the kind of gym I'd like to train at. But living in a small town, there's not any gyms like that that are open to the public so I'll stick to globogym until I have the funds to make my half of the garage a gym.

Anything that gets folks away from the machines and treadmills and puts a bar in their hand is ok by me. Crossfit gets people squatting, deadlifting, and cleaning which is awesome. But yeah that's as far as I can really go with that.

I can't speak negatively or positively about it as a workout because I've never done it but It's definitely not something I look at and say I want to do that.

Overall, it's not my cup of tea but then again not everyone wants to powerlift or whatever else the whole wide fitness world has to offer (is there anything else?)
LittleRhino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

Injury rates don't seem to actually be any higher than in most other "strength sports".

Basically, most of them are "generic lifters" as well as "generic fitness trainees". Which is fine, IMO. No, they will never be the best at any given thing, unless they change the way they train (which some do). Obviously. But then, not everyone wants to even try to be a world class weightlifter, powerlifter or strongman. And in reality, most people don't have the genetics, the background, etc., to do so anyhow.

If your average person just wants to be stronger and fitter than they currently are, it's not the worst way to go about it. Of course, this might depend somewhat on the quality of the trainers, but this is always true, no matter the discipline.

Might not be my thing, but then again, the way I train might not appeal to many crossfitters either. So what?

edit: Also, ripping the bar off the ground at speed is fun. This is one thing I and almost any crossfitter can always agree on.

Last edited by Dray; 06-19-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributorone-X-life is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Injury rates don't seem to actually be any higher than in most other "strength sports".
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvmlhiwGRk

I don't know of any published stats of injury rates but this doesn't look safe at all.
Anyway I feel like I've heard jogging is the most injurious.
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
jwood
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

First of all, thanks for all the responses this is a great conversation.

I find the reps for time issue interesting. Particularly because I compete in strongman. Strongman has been doing max reps in 60 seconds for a long time. Many competitions have car deadlift or some sort of clean and press for max reps in a minute. I do not think strongman has ever been criticized for this.

Do we have any crossfitters on the forum?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
LittleRhino
Brawn

LittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
First of all, thanks for all the responses this is a great conversation.

I find the reps for time issue interesting. Particularly because I compete in strongman. Strongman has been doing max reps in 60 seconds for a long time. Many competitions have car deadlift or some sort of clean and press for max reps in a minute. I do not think strongman has ever been criticized for this.

Do we have any crossfitters on the forum?
I think there's a difference in training for strongman and doing clean and presses for time and Joe Schmo desk jockey going in for a weekend training class to learn the movement with a pvc pipe and then throwing on 95 pounds or 135 and going through a WOD. If you're at the point to train and compete in a strength sport then you have a familiarity with the lifts and are able to make adjustments based on feel during your training. I feel like a large majority of folks that flock to crossfit aren't of that mindset to compete and be the best, but they're more of the equivalent to someone at planet fitness who is there to say they work out and choose crossfit because it's the in thing. Which of course leads to the wonderful videos that we all like to laugh at and make fun of.
LittleRhino is online now   Reply With Quote