Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
Gorship
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deads
Fav Supp: Vega All in one protein
Gorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite memberGorship is an elite member
Default your shins and your deadlift

So I was watching alan thralls YT channel. Cause he's pretty awesome. On his "how to deadlift" video you can watch his shins start to open up and bleed. I started to think.

I dont remember the last time I ever had my shins hurt or bleed doing Deads.

Im gunna record my setup next time and see if putting myself at a disadvantage mechanically. I think I used to get some bleeding when I first started but. not now.

what about you?
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

Nope. Occasionally it's pretty close, but no blood for the blood god.

Some deadlifters do, some don't. That's my stunning observation for the day.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25!
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Cookies&Cream Whey
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

when I was new to it, yes.

some of that had to do with where the knurling was on the bar though.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
LittleRhino
Uber Brawn

LittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributorLittleRhino is a dedicated contributor

I always pulled conventional and didn't understand the whole bloody shins thing since I set the bar up about 1.5-2 inches from the shin. Recently started pulling sumo tho and tore my shins up my last workout from setting up on the bar
LittleRhino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 17
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Squats
Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!

The type of Bar makes a HUGE Difference...

Use a Texas DL bar.. If it even looks at your shin it will make you bleed... I hit my shins on Sumo more, but not much on Conv.

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com

Meet PR's: 480/320/520 Total: 1320 @180
GYM PR's 520/340/550 = 1,410

instagram @ramrodreviews
Powerlifting Routines
Lifting Large Coupon Code for 10% off "EBBC"
Strong House Project Coupon Code for10% off "RAMROD10"
Blue Line Barbell Coupon Code for 15% off "Morey15"
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
JTM811
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributor

I have not been able to lift much over the past 6 months due to injuries. Now I'm trying to get back on the horse. I did deads last week for the first time in a long time. I scraped up the shins a bit, nothing major as far as gashes, more friction burns though. I'm having to retrain myself on them again. When I was doing them regularly it wasn't very often I got bloody.
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I hit my shins on Sumo more, but not much on Conv.
Same for me, almost never hurt my shins doing conv, I had to buy longer socks since I pull sumo...

Training log
yangwenbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #8
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Its a good indicator that the bar is close enough. Bar to far away - more lowerback less legs and more prone to raise your hips to soon.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
Nezzy
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef
Nezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machineNezzy is a lifting machine

Some bleeding some bruising when I was pulling conventional, I bought some socks when I started going sumo, the knurling in the work gym bars is pretty aggressive.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite membermiked96 is an elite member

Swede nailed it of course.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote