Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Call_Me_Ishmael
Uber Brawn

Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Bacon
Call_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beast
Default Unsolicited Training Advice at the Gym

Some guy walked up to me today and told me that I was performing a deadlift all wrong, and told me "I don't usually say anything to people or correct them, but you're going to get hurt if you do it that way."

I could go into detail about the "advice" he gave me, but after he left I watched him closely for the rest of his workout and became quickly convinced that he was a complete idiot.

The first thing he did after walking away from me was.... front delt raises with a 25 lb plate.

That's right. Front delt raises.

Later on I saw him doing tricep kickbacks with a dumbbell.

IMO, people who do front delt raises and tricep kickbacks don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

This is the second time I've been corrected on my dead lift by a random passerby.

One of them I've seen doing deadlifts of 2 plates and the other I've never seen deadlifting at all.

Now, I'm not averse to the idea that my form could be off.

But in my experience, people who give unsolicited advice don't seem to know what the fuck they're talking about.

Also, I seriously doubt anyone gives a shit about your safety when they do something like that. Pretty much 10 times out of 10, the person telling me I'm doing it wrong typically lifts less than I do- and my lifts are NOTHING to write home about.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Call_Me_Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
JTM811
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributorJTM811 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael View Post
Some guy walked up to me today and told me that I was performing a deadlift all wrong, and told me "I don't usually say anything to people or correct them, but you're going to get hurt if you do it that way."

I could go into detail about the "advice" he gave me, but after he left I watched him closely for the rest of his workout and became quickly convinced that he was a complete idiot.

The first thing he did after walking away from me was.... front delt raises with a 25 lb plate.

That's right. Front delt raises.

Later on I saw him doing tricep kickbacks with a dumbbell.

IMO, people who do front delt raises and tricep kickbacks don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

This is the second time I've been corrected on my dead lift by a random passerby.

One of them I've seen doing deadlifts of 2 plates and the other I've never seen deadlifting at all.

Now, I'm not averse to the idea that my form could be off.

But in my experience, people who give unsolicited advice don't seem to know what the fuck they're talking about.

Also, I seriously doubt anyone gives a shit about your safety when they do something like that. Pretty much 10 times out of 10, the person telling me I'm doing it wrong typically lifts less than I do- and my lifts are NOTHING to write home about.
Should've said to him right after his speal about not offering advice, don't start now and good day.

We've all seen it or had it happen to us at some point. I just make myself look as locked in and unapproachable as possible. This is especially true if I'm doing squats or deads, people think they'll get their heads ripped off if the get near me. More often in the past number of years, people will come to me asking for help or advice, because I don't give it unless it's asked for.

Like you said it's usually the ones who don't know what hell they're talking about that do this crap. It's the quiet ones who are putting up big weight and getting through their workout who people should look to more often but without being a pest about it.
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Shmeegs
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on for 15 yrs
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Compounds
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributor

You have more patience than me. I would have asked him to show me how it's done then. Got in a squat debate with a trainer at a gym once, he told me that I was going too deep on ATG squats, and I told him that I was a much better squatter than him. We had a competition and I out performed him and ended up telling him that his advice is not only awful but possibly hindering with some of his clients.
Shmeegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Call_Me_Ishmael
Uber Brawn

Call_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beastCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeegs View Post
You have more patience than me. I would have asked him to show me how it's done then. Got in a squat debate with a trainer at a gym once, he told me that I was going too deep on ATG squats, and I told him that I was a much better squatter than him. We had a competition and I out performed him and ended up telling him that his advice is not only awful but possibly hindering with some of his clients.
It happened once before and I was a bit nastier this time. When it happens again I'll probably just tell them to fuck off- in those exact words.

The squat and the deadlift are two exercises that someone, somewhere will ALWAYS tell you that you're doing it wrong no matter what.

I've seen this a lot online. Show me a youtube vid of a guy deadlifting with perfect form, and at least one douche in the comments session will say he's doing it wrong.

I understand that form is important on the deadlift.

I also know that to make progress on any exercise, you have to push beyond your comfort zone.

It seems like deadlift is an exercise where guys use "form" to lift bitch weights.

I'm not saying you should be wreckless with deadlifts, but a lot of these guys who criticize me are doing worksets of 225- 275 lbs.

I'm sure I would maintain immaculate form at all times if I wasn't trying to push beyond those numbers.

No I'm not saying you should be unsafe in the pursuit of numbers but... I think you get the picture.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 03-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

Tricep kickbacks probably are a waste of time, yes. Not 100% sure, and will never bother even trying, but hey.

On the other hand, front delt raises are apparently quite legit, if some extremely strong people are anything to go by. Really. Exceptionally strong. Some of whom have wise things to say regarding lifting, overall.

But whatever. The guy at your gym had no right to "address your form" (yeah, right) like that. For starters, if they can't (or won't) immediately tell you how the form is "not right", then fuck 'em - don't care how strong they are. And secondly, if they can't (or won't) demonstrate perfect form, then same again.

Plenty of talkers at most gyms, in general. Seems to apply equally to "critics" and many "trainers" - no surprise there.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #6
Call_Me_Ishmael
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Tricep kickbacks probably are a waste of time, yes. Not 100% sure, and will never bother even trying, but hey.

On the other hand, front delt raises are apparently quite legit, if some extremely strong people are anything to go by. Really. Exceptionally strong. Some of whom have wise things to say regarding lifting, overall.

But whatever. The guy at your gym had no right to "address your form" (yeah, right) like that. For starters, if they can't (or won't) immediately tell you how the form is "not right", then fuck 'em - don't care how strong they are. And secondly, if they can't (or won't) demonstrate perfect form, then same again.

Plenty of talkers at most gyms, in general. Seems to apply equally to "critics" and many "trainers" - no surprise there.
He did sorta show me. Squatted down and grabbed the bar but didn't actually perform the lift with the weight on it.

Basically said you should lift with your legs not your back.

The way I did it was straining my back.

"You feel it in your back don't you? You're supposed to feel it in your legs." Also said the bar should scrape against your shins.

"I feel it everywhere" I told him "because it's a movement that involves the whole body."

Now that I think about it, I think he was basically telling him to do it like he pic on the left.

He said "need to squat lower, etc."

I'm pretty cynical though. You'll never convince me that some random strangers seriously cares about your safety. I think it's someone seeking validation.

"I lift less than he does but that's because I use proper form.'

Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 03-16-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #7
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 17
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Squats
Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!

I just try not to talk to anyone anymore. I have a few buddies I do chat with of course. But I don't give advice unless they asked. I have my own training to deal with. Not worried about others.

I don't think I have ever had anyone come up to me and say I was doing it wrong thou. Not sure how I would handle that.. All depends on the guy who says it I guess.

Front Delt raises are legit.. Also Kick backs are a good finisher for Triceps. But are better done on a Cable machine. I've done them a few times over the years.

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com

Meet PR's: 480/320/520 Total: 1320 @180
GYM PR's 520/340/550 = 1,410

instagram @ramrodreviews
Powerlifting Routines
Lifting Large Coupon Code for 10% off "EBBC"
Strong House Project Coupon Code for10% off "RAMROD10"
Blue Line Barbell Coupon Code for 15% off "Morey15"
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!Ramrod is one with Crom!

Quote:
He did sorta show me. Squatted down and grabbed the bar but didn't actually perform the lift with the weight on it.

Basically said you should lift with your legs not your back.

The way I did it was straining my back.

"You feel it in your back don't you? You're supposed to feel it in your legs." Also said the bar should scrape against your shins.

Sounds like he is trying to Squat the weight up. Did he have a Conv. or Sumo Stance?

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com

instagram @ramrodreviews
Powerlifting Routines
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #9
Call_Me_Ishmael
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Sounds like he is trying to Squat the weight up. Did he have a Conv. or Sumo Stance?
Conventional. I read about sumo on message boards but honestly I don't see anyone do it. Not at my gym.

But once again, I think it's work noting that he did not actually PERFORM THE LIFT. As in breaking it off the ground and getting it all the way up.

The next time anyone approaches me in this manner I'm going to say, "Okay so show me how it's done. And by 'show me how it's done,' I mean actually perform the lift. As in get it of the ground."

If they don't I'll tell them to get lost.

I guess what infuriates me is the fact that even though I have gotten unsolicited advice TWICE about dead lifts telling me I'm doing it wrong, very rarely do I actually see anyone DOING DEADLIFTS at my gym. Or if they do, it's with 225-275 or something like that.

As I have said before, I can be pretty confident about my form not breaking down if I am lifting 225- 275.

I don't talk to people either he came up to me out of nowhere like hey you're gonna get hurt doing that- as if it was inevitable or something.

Well, I was using the same form I've used before and I haven't been hurt.

Doesn't guarantee that I am doing it right I guess, but apparently I've done it wrong for many months now and haven't been injured.

As for front delt work, Steve basically says stop doing them and never do them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYP1bFvhO8Q

Last edited by Call_Me_Ishmael; 03-16-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #10
Ramrod
"1500" by 2017
Max Brawn

Quote:
Looked conventional. I read about sumo on message boards but honestly I don't see anyone do it. Not at my gym.

But once again, I think it's work noting that he did not actually PERFORM THE LIFT. As in breaking it off the ground and getting it all the way up.

The next time anyone approaches me in this manner I'm going to say, "Okay so show me how it's done. And by 'show me how it's done,' I mean actually perform the lift. As in get it of the ground."

If they don't I'll tell them to get lost.
Hey guys like that I would just ignore and move on. Get some headphones and act like you can't hear him.

Proudly sponsored by
www.RAMRODREVIEWS.com

instagram @ramrodreviews
Powerlifting Routines