Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Women and Lift Form

Something I was thinking about last night...

90% of the dedicated women I see deadlifting and squatting on Youtube/Instagram/Facebook have very serviceable form. On the other hand, the percentage is lower for men.

Typically men have a weak understanding of the deadlift. They are usually better at squats, but other than powerlifters not so great at bench.

Bench is usually the weakest form lift for women.

Why is it that I rarely see a dedicated female with sketchy squat and deadlift form?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Belphegor
Brawn

Training Exp: <1 year
Belphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beast

I would assume that a lot of women hire trainers from day one of their resistance training adventure. Half the women in my gym have trainers, and whatever they're doing, the trainer is usually right there watching them, coaching form and spitting motivation.

With someone watching you from day one, if they know what's what, you will be very unlikely to develop bad habits.

I've yet to see a man in my gym with a trainer. I think that speaks for itself.

28 years old
6'2
201lbs
PR's/Total: None yet

"Have a passion for what you do and you'll never work a day in your life." -Vince McMahon
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Trainers suck. Most trainers in big box commercial gyms couldn't coach their way out of a baggy of chalk without PEDs. So I'm not sure thats it, though a good theory.

Women are classically weaker in the upper body. Its how humans are built. If something is difficult, people want to skip it. The women I've trained often have near perfect squat form the first time they get under the bar. The men often have major issues. I'm voting bone structure and job selection for that.

Most men I've seen suck ass at deadlifting. But to be honest, just about everyone I see who isn't at a real gym is bad at every lift. Women try harder. They're more concerned about doing it right to avoid injury. Men often feel invincible and don't worry about injury and that can lead to sketchy form.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
NoobGainz
New Brawn

Training Exp: Not much
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Pizza
NoobGainz is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Trainers suck. Most trainers in big box commercial gyms couldn't coach their way out of a baggy of chalk without PEDs.
True. Every woman I see at my gym is accompanied by a trainer feeding them bad advice and 'bro-science'. The first year I trained I was at a gym that offered a free coaching service from 'personal trainers'. These so called qualified coaches had me doing triple drop sets on reverse curls and upright rows, increasing the weight at the end of each month, and no heavy compound movements, all when I was a 110lb 16 year old with no training experience...
NoobGainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
powerliftingforlife
Uber Brawn

Fav Supp: Rap music and Deathmetal
powerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beast

I think its simply because (most) women do not have egos toward how much weight they lift. Guys, as we all can probably agree, try to lift too much as beginners. Heck, sometimes we intermediates and advanced lifters are guilty of doing so. And occasionally pay a price. Women, not so much, if at all.
powerliftingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Trainers suck. Most trainers in big box commercial gyms couldn't coach their way out of a baggy of chalk without PEDs.
Absolute truth. This should be etched in a granite rock outside every public gym across the nation. Hell - across the world.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerliftingforlife View Post
I think its simply because (most) women do not have egos toward how much weight they lift. Guys, as we all can probably agree, try to lift too much as beginners. Heck, sometimes we intermediates and advanced lifters are guilty of doing so. And occasionally pay a price. Women, not so much, if at all.
This - and maybe the fact that women have a greater degree of hip flexibility and usually have strong ( ish ) glutes due to all of the female
focus on ass exercises.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

as for the bench - my wife says her boobs (heavy chested ) get in the way .... they look fine to me
Old 01-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
powerliftingforlife
Uber Brawn

Fav Supp: Rap music and Deathmetal
powerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
This - and maybe the fact that women have a greater degree of hip flexibility and usually have strong ( ish ) glutes due to all of the female
focus on ass exercises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
as for the bench - my wife says her boobs (heavy chested ) get in the way .... they look fine to me

Im loving everything about these two posts!

However, I think there might be something we could tie in about subconscious thinking here
powerliftingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Why is it that I rarely see a dedicated female with sketchy squat and deadlift form?

hip mobility and femur angles...and humility to do it right before doing it heavy

plus, tell a girl to stick out her ass and bingo. Tell a guy the same and get punched.

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 905 - 315/245/345
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote