Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Rhamill7
New Brawn
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Rhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good start
Default Shoulder injury?

Hi there, just started doing SS and have been for about 6 - 8 weeks and I have been making good progress however recently I may have injured my shoulder somehow. When I get into the low bar position for squats I get a sharp pain that runs from the back of my right shoulder (although it feels like it originates from the front) down to what feels like my Tricep and the outside of my right elbow.

The pain then carries over to when I start bench pressing. The pain stays and shoots pretty sharply up the inside of my right bicep from my shoulder. I've had a look online and it may be the position of my arms and shoulders when squatting. I try to keep my elbows elevated in order to stop the bar from sliding down my back and create the "shelf" for the bar to sit on but it causes some pain. However when I lower my elbows the bar just begins to slide down my back.

It only happens at the beginning of my workout. Once I'm warmed up the pain dulls down and after taking a week off i can overhead press and deadlift okay however im unsure as to try benching or getting the correct squat position again as outside the gym the pain stays with me 24/7. It isn't noticeable until i move my arm into certain positions. Like external rotation, or lifting my arm out to the side, the pain usually starts when i lift it above 90 degrees to my body.

I have been stretching, using band dislocations and warming up fully. While using a foam roller and tennis ball to get any tight spots. Has anyone here had a similar experience or know where the problem may lie so I can figure out how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Rhamill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

look up paul carter's low bar squat fix on youtube
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

You need to work on your hold. I've held 500lb on my back, low bar, with my elbows at my sides and not back at all. You have to get a super tight upper back and stick your chest out hard to get into the right position, but it's possible to hold the bar on your back with almost no help from your hands.

Here's a pretty good pic of a similar hold to what I use (not me).

Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Rhamill7
New Brawn

Rhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good startRhamill7 is off to a good start

Thanks for the advice. I've seen Paul Carter's video before and I've been making sure my arms are relaxed it's just the shoulders and elbows I've been lifting.
I'll try when I workout tomorrow to get a more tight upper back so I can keep my arms by my sides and try a similar position to the one you have shown me Soldier.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

It won't be comfortable for a while. I place almost all my focus on feeling like I'm holding the bar with my upper lats. The last thing I do before I descend is to place all of my mental focus on the point of contact between the bar and my back. I forget that my hands are even on the bar and it almost feels like I'm using a safety squat bar, like the bar is molded into my back. It's a weird feeling and it took months of exposure and commitment to get to the point where it feels normal.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Elbows should point down for squats. Shoulder should be in the back of the socket for any kind of pressing.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Rhamill7
New Brawn

So I tried out the form you showed me in the picture soldier. I got my back as tight as possible while keeping my scapulae back and down and keeping my chest up. Warming up felt good and managed to get my hands pretty close to my body. Positioned it correctly under the spine of my scapulae but on the 2nd and 3rd working set I could feel my elbow getting a bit of pain so I'm not relaxing the arms like I should be. They are pointing to the floor now however and not cranked up so some improvement.

It feels like I'm hinging when I'm about to start my sets, like i'm about to lockout at the top of a dead lift but my lower back is locked and tight which doesn't make sense. I think I'm too upright so I will try and get a video of my form and put it in the form critique section.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamill7 View Post
So I tried out the form you showed me in the picture soldier. I got my back as tight as possible while keeping my scapulae back and down and keeping my chest up. Warming up felt good and managed to get my hands pretty close to my body. Positioned it correctly under the spine of my scapulae but on the 2nd and 3rd working set I could feel my elbow getting a bit of pain so I'm not relaxing the arms like I should be. They are pointing to the floor now however and not cranked up so some improvement.

It feels like I'm hinging when I'm about to start my sets, like i'm about to lockout at the top of a dead lift but my lower back is locked and tight which doesn't make sense. I think I'm too upright so I will try and get a video of my form and put it in the form critique section.
Just keep messing with it man. You'll find something that works well if you keep working on it.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
Greg B.
Brawn
Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21 Points: 1,462, Level: 21
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell rows
Greg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good postsGreg B. has made some good posts

Just as a precaution if it turns out not to have anything to do with squat hold form, may want to have an ortho doc look at that shoulder to rule out anything major such as a tear.

Main Website: http://www.aaefx.com/
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own*
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Rhamill7
New Brawn

Default Update on recovery

Quick update on the shoulder, I've visited the doctor and she basically said:
take pain killers and come back in 4 weeks and don't weight train. Im currently at about 2 weeks in.
The pain seems to be gone although it feels like my scapula is out of place. Almost as if this injury has made me aware of something that was wrong with it that i never noticed before. I'm keeping up with the medicine but I've decided to go see a physiotherapist to see if they can find any problems. I doubt I'll get an appointment very quickly so i may be back at the docs before i can see a physio.
But regardless it feels like a really weird sensation, almost as if its not in the position it should be, like its rubbing off something as im always concious of it now. It always feels like its there.
Just thought id update to see if anyone could suggest something/share their experience.
Thanks again.