Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Minutia detail lifting questions

Okay, so I had a few questions that get down to the minor details of lifting, which I know some people don't like, but they are just questions.

Squatting shoes (Weightlifting shoes) are extremely expensive, so I use a plate to raise my heel, and I know a lot of people wear chucks, as did I until they broke.

Also, I bought two sets of sleeves today. Elbow sleeves for pressing and knee sleeves for squatting. It's not to look cool or support me, but more so for on a Monday when I do Squat and Bench for reps, I find it harder to warm up my joints no matter how many warm up sets I do, however on a Friday after I have done OHP my Bench feels a lot easier and smoother, because things are warm and have been used. Hopefully these will help!

Also, intrigued about belts.

Questions;

1. Can you wear a pair of classic Vans as opposed to chucks, as the sole isn't too disimilair?

2. Does anybody else use sleeves? WHy? What do you feel are the benefits?

3. Belts. I currently borrow my gyms belt, just a standard RDX leather regular gym belt, and it helps sometimes. But I'm curious about Lever belts for my heavier sets... What are the pros and cons of a lever belt over a normal? Why choose that instead? Is it just convenience and a bigger budget?

Thanks in advance guys!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

As far as ive heard, a raised heel is best used with an extremely close stance. However, everyone is different.

Sleeves cant hurt. And that is where my knowledge ends. If you choose a lever belt, you might end up having to readjust it for squats differently than you would deadlifts.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
afraziaaaa
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post
Questions;

1. Can you wear a pair of classic Vans as opposed to chucks, as the sole isn't too disimilair?

3. Belts. I currently borrow my gyms belt, just a standard RDX leather regular gym belt, and it helps sometimes. But I'm curious about Lever belts for my heavier sets... What are the pros and cons of a lever belt over a normal? Why choose that instead? Is it just convenience and a bigger budget?
1. A flat sole is most desirable for squatting. If the shoe has a flat sole, go for it. I wore a pair of slip-on boat shoes for a year until I blew them out.

2. I use elbow sleeves when I have tendinitis acting up and I need to train through it. It helps keep the joint warm and the tendons compressed. I almost always use knee sleeves because they keep the joint warm. Any extra warmth I can get is a plus for joint health.

3. I dislike the belts that are tapered. I prefer a belt that is the same size all the way around, so I can really brace against it. I have never used a lever belt, so I can't comment there. If you are looking for a decent belt, you can find a two prong generic brand on amazon for about $50. Spud also makes great flexible belts that secure with velcro.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post
Questions;

I believe for a time Eric Lilliebridge was wearing old school Adidas. Just this past weekend I went around and felt the stiffness of some flat soled shoes to possibly use for lifting. Adidas are flat but a little soft for my taste. Some Vans are good, but I like a high ankle. Just what I'm used to. There is no rule that you have to use chucks or special lifting shoes. Just avoid anything with too soft of a sole.

Almost every weightlifter and serious powerlifter I've seen uses them. That means there's probably something to them. I haven't used any yet, but I've never felt a need. My muscles need more warming up than my joints.

Lever belts are always tightened the same amount. You don't have to worry about hitting the right holes, and they go on a bit more easily compared to buckle type belts. Some people actually find this annoying because they like different levels of tightness for different lifts. You have to use a screw driver to adjust lever belts, although it really only takes 2 seconds. I've also found that most normal belts start to crack right at the holes you use from constant bending when securing the buckle. This may be a non-issue with a higher quality belt. The only real powerlifting belt I've used is a Toro lever belt. It works just fine for what I want.

Thanks in advance guys!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Any flat sole is fine, I have seen 1000lb squats in Nike and Adidas basketball shoes. If you like a heel, I squatted in timberland boots for years.

I wear knee sleeves for my light stuff just for some protection and warmth, wear elbow sleeves to fight tendinitis.

Lever belts are good, but expensive. Can get a good single prong 10mm belt for pretty cheap.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Squatting shoes (Weightlifting shoes) are extremely expensive, so I use a plate to raise my heel, and I know a lot of people wear chucks, as did I until they broke.
I like a raised heel...I have a pair of Nike Romaleos 2. I love them. I sold a few things and saved that money for when they had a good coupon deal at Eastbay. Got them for $150 Shipped to my Door. They have a Huge Foot print and a Flat Sole. Just the insole as been raised. Also the insole is cupped around your foot to help lock it in place. I had a pair of Rogues and like them, but when I got the Nikes I was like WOW.. If you can't swing that much. Look at the Adidas Powerlift 2.0's. Just under $90.

Extra Tip... If you live anywhere near a Reebok Outlet check there for their Oly shoes. I saw a ton there for $60.. in many sizes. They where just clearing out certain colors.

Found some for $75
http://shopcrossfitreebok.com/mens-r...-lifter-4.html

Quote:
Does anybody else use sleeves? WHy? What do you feel are the benefits?
All the time. All mine are cloth though. I'm trying to get some neoprene ones since they warm better. liftinglarge.com as a economy equipment section you can pick up decent sleeves at a good price.

Quote:
Belts. I currently borrow my gyms belt, just a standard RDX leather regular gym belt, and it helps sometimes. But I'm curious about Lever belts for my heavier sets... What are the pros and cons of a lever belt over a normal? Why choose that instead? Is it just convenience and a bigger budget?
The Lever doesn't really add support.. its more for a quicker latch or unlatching. The support comes from the thickness. Top of the line belts like BestBelts are sweet. I have a 13mm of theirs and it will out last me. Your looking at $100 there. I have seen them as low as $80 on other sites. But for $55. Andersonpowerlifting.com has a single prong 10mm that is good too. I have it as well.

I'd stay away from Lever belts. They are a pain to adjust the size. The metal they use in the lever is softer then the screw they use to hold it in place. So it is very easy to strip out. And if it does you have to buy a whole in lever. But they look cool.....haha

Last edited by Ramrod; 03-24-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
ScottH
New Brawn
Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
ScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality postsScottH has made some quality posts

Like Ramrod I prefer a raised heal but I have the Adidas he mentioned. I have fairly narrow feet and adidas tend to fit me better than Nike. Best $90 I've spent for the gym and in comparison to the cycling shoes I had to buy every few years at $400 they are a bargain.
ScottH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I also have Nike Roamleos and love the raised heel, which I feel is especially helpful to a deep squatter like me. I also love the stability - once you are in place, your feel are not moving anywhere. Too me, stability is everything.

I use SBD knee sleeves a love the warmth they provide, along with some stability on moderate weights. They also seem to provide a little assistance with some bounce out of the hole. However, when I am approaching max weights, I use knee wraps - loose on near maxes and tight on maxes or next to maxes.

I also have an Inzer lever belt, and love it. I bought it because I liked the convenience and the fact that it was used and broken in already. I feel the most important thing to remember when using a belt is to wear it high enough so you can feel and keep your air.

I realize equipment costs money, of which it seems not alot of people have alot of these days, but any sport you involve your self in costs money. here in Canada, parents can spend around $5000 on hockey equipment for their kids. I feel it also a matter of perspective when spending money on your sport.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Kleurplaay
Max Brawn
Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30 Points: 2,525, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
As far as ive heard, a raised heel is best used with an extremely close stance. However, everyone is different.

Sleeves cant hurt. And that is where my knowledge ends. If you choose a lever belt, you might end up having to readjust it for squats differently than you would deadlifts.
I disagree, a LOT of high level lifters squat in raised heels. They both fix any possible ankle mobility problems and allow you to sit back more without falling (I call it 'leaning against the heel').

I'd honestly say that the majority of people will squat better better in a raised heel with people who perform better in a flat shoe being the minority. Obviously you're not going to see this in practice lots of people don't care enough about their squat to buy an olympic shoe or simply don't know about them.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
I disagree, a LOT of high level lifters squat in raised heels. They both fix any possible ankle mobility problems and allow you to sit back more without falling (I call it 'leaning against the heel').

I'd honestly say that the majority of people will squat better better in a raised heel with people who perform better in a flat shoe being the minority. Obviously you're not going to see this in practice lots of people don't care enough about their squat to buy an olympic shoe or simply don't know about them.
That is interesting, I dont know of many top tier squatters that use a heel. I am sure you will see more in the IPF areas with a hell. Got me interested in looking now haha.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote