Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How long does food stay in the stomach? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15525)

LindenGarcia18 11-17-2013 10:51 AM

How long does food stay in the stomach?

Title says it all.

Just wondered, because I heard it was 5 hours, but I just slept 8 or 9, and I can still feel some of the food I ate in my stomach from last night.
Its still doing that thing where it makes my stomach stick out :p

Cheers

- Linden

EDIT: Both stomach and intestines

Cutty 11-17-2013 11:06 AM

I dont know if there is a set timeframe but i know some foods seem to stick around longer than others.

5kgLifter 11-17-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 (Post 427866)
Title says it all.

Just wondered, because I heard it was 5 hours, but I just slept 8 or 9, and I can still feel some of the food I ate in my stomach from last night.
Its still doing that thing where it makes my stomach stick out :p

Cheers

- Linden

In the stomach or in the intestines?

You'd be better of doing some basic internet research about the biological functioning of the stomach, intestines, and digestion, with regard to meal timing and meal composition.

LindenGarcia18 11-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty (Post 427875)
I dont know if there is a set timeframe but i know some foods seem to stick around longer than others.

Yeah, I mean I ate a hell of allot of food last night.

Had pretty much 2 meals together because my timing we're out of sync.

Its was sweet potato, 2 pieces of fish
And then shortly after my rice dish, which also had fish, veg and a sauce with it.
Also a shake after my workout...

So I was pretty full :p

Cheers Cutty

Cutty 11-17-2013 11:15 AM

I just had nachos, a soft pretzel, an energy drink, a sammich, chips, and i am about to go eat some brats. Granted i am like 200 more pounds than you.

If you are pooping regularly i think you will be fine, might take a little longer to process but you haven't ruined yourself

LindenGarcia18 11-17-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 427876)
In the stomach or in the intestines?

You'd be better of doing some basic internet research about the biological functioning of the stomach, intestines, and digestion, with regard to meal timing and meal composition.

Sorry, when I say stomach, I mean both stomach and intestines.

Its said 5 hours is the time it takes to pass through both
Will edit

5kgLifter 11-17-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 (Post 427883)
Sorry, when I say stomach, I mean both stomach and intestines.

Its said 5 hours is the time it takes to pass through both
Will edit

I don't know where you're reading this stuff, but food can remain in the intestines for as little as 24 hours to as much as about 3 days...unless you have the trots in which case maybe a few hours at most.

Cutty 11-17-2013 11:37 AM

Thats why it can take a week for weight loss to show up on a cut.

Tannhauser 11-17-2013 11:59 AM

Here you go:

Quote:

from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

Digestion time varies between individuals and between men and women. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food.

In the 1980s, Mayo Clinic researchers measured digestion time in 21 healthy people. Total transit time, from eating to elimination in stool, averaged 53 hours (although that figure is a little overstated, because the markers used by the researchers passed more slowly through the stomach than actual food). The average transit time through just the large intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men, 47 hours for women.

Two British doctors studied digestion time in children. They fed 35 children juice containing a red marker and asked the children's mothers to note when the stool first turned red. The mean time of transit from mouth to anus for the group was 33 hours (meaning half the children had digestion times slower than this and half had digestion times greater than this).
(In his final para, the author somewhat worryingly confuses mean with median, unless he was just oversimplifying).

LindenGarcia18 11-17-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 427898)
Here you go:

(In his final para, the author somewhat worryingly confuses mean with median, unless he was just oversimplifying).

Interesting.

So that 6-8 hours figure is still present, thgouh it seems its only part of the process where as I was mistaking it for the full digestion process.
That 8 hours is only the food passing through the stomach and small intestings, meaning when its in the large intestines is when I'm experiencing the full feeling many hours after.

Cheers Tan