Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Calisthenics? The cheapest workout? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15434)

Adamite1114 11-07-2013 02:16 PM

Calisthenics? The cheapest workout?

I would like all of your opinions on this. Does calisthenics build muscle and strength when done properly?

syn 11-07-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamite1114 (Post 424507)
I would like all of your opinions on this. Does calisthenics build muscle and strength when done properly?

I know some strong kickboxers who use this as their strength training, these guys are strong, and very lean. but not jacked.

5kgLifter 11-07-2013 02:28 PM

Most of the exercises would be perfect for muscle building, more so for those that had not done weights before, since most of them, once you look at them, are only weightless versions of a squat, Bulgarian/split squat, a bench press upside down (press-up), incline/decline press-ups, then the triceps work against the bench is similar in movement to the triceps extension but with bodyweight.

So, yes, it can and does work, it's ideal if people can't get to a gym or just want to maintain basic strength and not progress to massive loads, for the latter a gym and/or weights would be required. That said, I have seen a guy that increased his one arm jerk with handstand push-ups etc and never touched a weight for a number of weeks but still managed to set a PR when he did the jerk.

If you know what you're using them for and how to effectively use them, they work, but they will have their limits as well.

MadMonk 11-07-2013 03:43 PM

I did thai boxing for about 4 yr, we used to do some crazy shit using only our bodies, really brutal, makes me feel sick just thinking about it haha, it certainly helped build explosive strength but i wasnt eating nowhere near enough to build muscle at the time, if i was then maybe i would have gained muscle?, i dont know, i know it was no substitute for iron though. I fought at 180lb and im now 215ish, that weight gain has came from eating like a horse and lifting heavy.

SCStrong 11-07-2013 04:11 PM

I am of the opinion that they can build strength and enddurance - not really convinced on the mass / size.

LindenGarcia18 11-07-2013 07:56 PM

I believe they can.

Hannibal for king only really does calisthenics and look at him.

As long as you have resistance that you can progressively make harder, I think you can most certainly build muscle.

I guess its finding more and more resistance as you progress that can be the problem, but it can be done.

There will be more ways to progress than you think.

Fergus 12-24-2013 02:10 PM

2 years ago I did armstrong pull up program for a few months along with normal rugby training. Got my max pull ups well over 20. And ive to say I put on a load of weight and size for the couple of months I did it.
But ive seen the light now and only do bodyweight workouts if ive no other choice!!