Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
mr_bigmuscles
Max Brawn

Training Exp: about a year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: meat
mr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributormr_bigmuscles is a dedicated contributor

Heed MikeM's words. I am a guy who crippled myself with baby weight because of bad form.

By the way, for form checks, film yourself from multiple angles. I have some videos of squats that from the side looked great, but from the front, it was apparent that I was all twisted up - shifted sideways in the hole and corkscrewed to the right as I came up. It's a miracle I didn't get hurt sooner.

Couch stretch is great for loosening up hip flexors (which pull you into anterior pelvic tilt). Stretch your adductors too, they will pull your tail under - and round your lower back.

Anyhow, good luck and iron out that form!

Log
mr_bigmuscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bigmuscles View Post
Heed MikeM's words. I am a guy who crippled myself with baby weight because of bad form.

By the way, for form checks, film yourself from multiple angles. I have some videos of squats that from the side looked great, but from the front, it was apparent that I was all twisted up - shifted sideways in the hole and corkscrewed to the right as I came up. It's a miracle I didn't get hurt sooner.

Couch stretch is great for loosening up hip flexors (which pull you into anterior pelvic tilt). Stretch your adductors too, they will pull your tail under - and round your lower back.

Anyhow, good luck and iron out that form!
I always thought that my form was really good, but obviously I had some issues.

I have narrowed my hip issue down to them just being tight. All of these hours over the years and not much hip stretching (Stretched out other muscles, just never really stretched my hips) and now I've been doing them, my body feels much better.

I will be doing those couch stretches more often (I've been doing a variation at work as I work at a computer all day) as I've found them helping to relieve pain while I'm sat on my office chair at work.

As for squat videos, my camera was being used by my girlfriend for her videos (Check her out; www.youtube.com/KDMGtv !!) so I didn't have access to it, and I'm not lifting without music, hence no Iphone recording!

ANYWAYYYY!! I'll get one up asap!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributor

This video changed my life in the gym

The Video FitCast- Episode 6 - YouTube
watched that about a month ago now? I have some set drills I do where I stretch in a goblet squat etc (you'll see all of it in the video) my squats have never felt better and more natural.

couple this with this stretch and article

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

Worked WONDERS for me, hope it helps.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
This video changed my life in the gym

The Video FitCast- Episode 6 - YouTube

watched that about a month ago now? I have some set drills I do where I stretch in a goblet squat etc (you'll see all of it in the video) my squats have never felt better and more natural.

couple this with this stretch and article

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

Worked WONDERS for me, hope it helps.

I really appreciate all of your help buddy!! Thank you, i'll watch this the weekend when I get some time! Thank you!!

Once my knee heals up I will do it!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Kroy
Brawn

Training Exp: 6 yrs in 90's, 3 yrs now
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: iron
Kroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
In my case I have lower back pain that is caused by abdominal weakness and simply not knowing how to properly engage my abs.

When squeezing your abs for a lift, don't just tighten the front of them. Squeeze them inward. What I have been told is pull your belly button to your spine. This will engage your entire core, not just the front of your abs. .
I dont want to seem argumentative, but I was always told to push the abs out against the belt to stabilize the lower back. Ive always had to work around some minor low back issues lifting heavy, and found that learning this technique helped.
This is from Dave Tate:

"Secret #7: Learn to use your belly!

I've caught more shit over this than any other aspect of training. But the truth is that every big squatter I know has learned how to use his abdominals while squatting. You must learn how to breathe into your belly. You want to pull as much air as you can into your belly, then flex and force your abdominals out.

Walk over to a mirror. Take a look at your shoulders and take a deep breath. Did they rise? If they did, then you're pulling all the air into your chest, not your belly. You need to learn how to breath into your belly. This is how we teach everyone to squat. For the squat, we advise the use of a weight belt worn one notch loose. This is to teach you to pull air into your belly then push out into the belt. The belt acts as a great training aid to push against.

As a side note, we use the same technique for all of our max-effort work, but don't use the belt in that situation. This is one aspect of our training that has been misunderstood for too long. We use the belt to teach how to use the abdominals for the squat, bench, and deadlift, and do not advocate its use for anything else unless the lifter feels it's needed. Many in the gym have worked up to 600 and 700 pound good mornings without any adverse effects and have been doing them this way for over ten years.

This brings me to the next point. We've been told breathing and using the abdominals this way will lead to back injuries. Louie Simmons has been coaching this for the past twenty years at Westside and hasn't had any lifters with these problems. Learning to use the belly has made a profound difference in all of our squats, especially for those who've never tried it. I've seen squats increase by 25 to 50 pounds on this aspect alone. Now that's what squatting big is all about.

Filling your belly with air will also create a larger torso and give you a bigger base of support from which to drive. Ever wonder why those with bigger waists squat so much? Think about it. We want as much tightness and support as we can get from the gross muscles of the spinal errectors, abdominals, and obliques."
Kroy is offline   Reply With Quote