Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default Training is easy, eating clean is the hard part

Saw this picture on Facebook:

This is such a massive misconception, it winds me right up. Eating clean is being organised and having a bit of willpower. It's not that hard. Training should be an event. It is not the same as eating your meals, hitting your macros and sticking to your diet plan. These people are just ticking off their sets and reps thinking that by going through the motions they will get results. Everyone upon everyone except the absolute extreme of genetic freaks and hyper responders to drugs, train hard. They think about their training, they work on form, they attack the lifts and they chase progression even if in a caloric deficit, tired, depleted, whatever. Diet is about educating yourself, planning and being disciplined. You need willpower, that is all. I will defend this point to the death: training is the be all and end all. If diet is the hard part of this, you need to train harder.

End rant. I feel better now
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Well, I've never understood what's hard about eating clean or as I prefer to call it eating sensibly; even those brought up on a poor/bad diet know what a good diet should consist of...meat/fish, veggies, fruit, etc. I'm sure they all know that eating Mars Bars and similar foods don't fall in to that clean range.

It's not like a meal is usually: 1/3 of a plate covered with Mars Bars, 1/3 of a plate covered in Tic Tacs, and the remainder should be Smarties.

Everyone, without exception knows that to be incorrect when choosing foods and most of the clean/sensible food choices don't need a lot of prep, with some requiring none at all.

The people that advertise it as complicated do so for their own reasons; selling an e-book; selling ready made door-delivered meals, at a price...etc.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Eating clean is easy once you know how to make it more than a chicken breast with 3.2 stalks of broccoli and 2 ounces of rice. The issue is that this standard has become synonymous with clean eating.

It takes about 4.5 seconds on the Internet to figure out how to make your food taste good. There is no excuse to torture yourself with "bodybuilding meals."

In addition, I eat all I want of clean foods. Not really hard. I just eat when I am hungry. This is not hard at all. I find eating to satiety enjoyable.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I call it simple eating. Tonight, chicken with homemade pesto and some whole wheat pasta.

Edit: steamed broccoli

It was fantastic!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 09-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I get the point being made here that eating clean isn't as hard as people make it seem. It isn't. It takes a bit of planning and some discipline to make the right decision, but logistically speaking, "eating clean" is not hard.
However, i think instead of saying "training is easy, eating clean is hard", it is accurate to say training is fun and enjoyable, people want to go train, but eating clean isn't always fun and people don't always feel like doing it.
Maybe I am the minority here, but to me chicken and vegetables aren't nearly as fun as pizza, tacos, bacon cheese fries, and biscuits and gravy. I want to go train, i am excited to go train, I don't always want to eat the right thing.
I understand, eating clean food doesn't have to mean eating bland or tasteless food. But junk food is fun. That is just the honest truth, IMO.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm with Josh!! Eating clean is 14 hours a day discipline. Training is 10-20 hard sets. I can gear up my mind too attack a workout MUCH easier than I can stay disciplined in eating properly all the time.

Now, if all I did was train and eat all day everyday, well that's different. But I have a life outside of lifting including a carbaholic wife and two young goldfish and ice cream demons, and I'm busy most of the day. So planned menus a week in advance or not, when you're in a family with access and desire for junk food or mountains of spaghetti, sometimes demolishing a pizza, bag of chips or a mountain of fries is just an irresistible urge.

Dan John wrote about having a finite amount of self control (some people more than others obviously) meaning that there's only so much control you can exert each day over the million decisions you make each day. For me, it's easy to hammer away at a training session, but it's late in the day and I'm hungry, it's a huge task to stay on track with my diet.

My .02

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 09-07-2013 at 05:26 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Eating clean is easy once you know how to make it more than a chicken breast with 3.2 stalks of broccoli and 2 ounces of rice. The issue is that this standard has become synonymous with clean eating.

Yep, whereas I see clean eating as just eating foods which are based on common sense, no foods are out and no foods are considered by their macros, ratios and so forth, not for me.

MikeM mentioned spaghetti and pizza, I see neither as bad foods...the basic pizza is really nothing more than a cheese and tomato sandwich which would be considered a good option when advising people on their diet, add some meat to it and it's a cheese, ham, and tomato sandwich etc. Spaghetti, again, great.

I guess my take on food isn't as restrictive as the bodybuilder's idea of macros to the nth degree and restrictive food choices.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would argue that few people need to be restrictive unless their eating is out of balance.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

One point being missed here is food addictions. Most people have them, and is the number 1 reason most people have a problem keeping excess weight off, along with lack of consistency in an exercise program. For this reason, eating clean, no matter how you define it, is not easy. Ridding oneself of any addiction is not easy.

Training is not easy as well, of course. IMO, neither is.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1˝ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

I would like to offer my humble opinion into this discussion, because I used to be extremely obese and in poor health as little as a year ago, eating junk food and drinking beer all the time.

In my opinion, addiction is not a disease, but rather a natural spectrum of reward and habituation. The difference is that many psychoactive substances such as alcohol may cause so much reward/pleasure that the habit becomes very strong and hard to break. Food can certainly be addictive, in the same way that training, or any habit can be, but it's a weak habit that can be broken by anyone as long as they believe that they can do it, and remain consistent.

They say that changing a habit takes 21 days of consistency, and I agree with that. Once making the decision to eat "clean", the foods taste bland - hardly worth eating even - and one craves for delicious junk. But after a while you get used to it and start to enjoy all the flavors more than you ever did before. For example, oats, milk and bananas taste utterly delicious to me now Nowadays I follow the IIFYM style of dieting, which means I can allow myself treats (for example ice cream or these http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korppu) whenever I want to. But more often than not I choose to rather eat something less calorically dense, not because I believe it's more healthy or something, but because it simply satiates me more. It is true that eating a healthy diet does not have to be cruel torture, it can taste extremely pleasurable, you just have to learn to cook a bit and plan a bit.

It's hard to compare the difficulty of diet and training, because they are two completely different things. Diet is something that mainly consists of dont's while training consists of do's. In training you actively perform stuff, but in dieting you passively must not eat certain things. In addition diet is 24/7 while training is a couple of hours a few times a week. It seems to me that many people who train very hard at the gym find it lame to follow any kind of diet. I understand that completely, but that is also why many of those guys make poor progress. To me it just seems like a waste of perfectly good training effort if the diet is not in check.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-08-2013 at 02:01 AM.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote