Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Question about weight.

I now weigh 136 pounds.

Was in the changing rooms today, and again, I got comments on how good I look.
Its kind of insane how much a pound or two of muscle can make people notice.

I certainly look considerably more muscular than I did, and its turned my motivation into overdrive.

Allot of the guys telling me I look really good, we're people that weighed more than me.
They wouldn't be classed as underweight like you guys say I am.

I told them that it must just be my body fat percentage that gives the illusion that I'm more muscular than they are. How could I be if they weighed more than I did?

We ended up comparing arm sizes, and weirdly, they we're right. My arms we;re actually bigger than theirs.
We measured chest too and the same thing.

I don't get this.

How can I possibly have bigger muscles than my piers that are at most 10 pounds heavier than me when I'm critically underweight?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not in any way blowing my own trumpet here, but I believe I do look better than most of these people.
And I'm generally allot fitter exercises wise too.

Non of them were fat, they would've been around the same bf % as me I would've thought.

My question is, how in the hell could I have bigger muscles than them, and what is it if its not fat or muscle, thats making them heavier than me?
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Muscle is much more dense than fat. That is the why. Keep up the good work.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Me and Eric Lilliebridge weigh the same. Dan Green weighs probably 25lbs less then me. IFBB pros are what, 230 at a show? I'm dwarfed by all these people.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Muscle is much more dense than fat. That is the why.
Not quite sure what you mean, does that mean they're carrying more fat than me or?

Quote:
Keep up the good work.
Thanks allot man, will do.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Me and Eric Lilliebridge weigh the same. Dan Green weighs probably 25lbs less then me. IFBB pros are what, 230 at a show? I'm dwarfed by all these people.
Right I see. I sort of get it :L
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Not quite sure what you mean, does that mean they're carrying more fat than me or?

Thanks allot man, will do.
What he means, is that if you were to put one pound of muscle next to one pound of fat, the size of the pound of muscle would be smaller in size as compared to the size of the pound of fat--though they weigh the same amount. Personally, I have seen people whom weigh near what I do, 168lbs (and near same height), and look bigger than me, but they are proportionately carrying much more fat weight, but other things like, bone density and size, water disposition, also play a role. In addition, age plays role in some cases. I would bet if I kept everything equal, and my weight the same, I would be "appear" bigger in my prime, as compared to now (52), because I carry the muscle denser as compared to my youth.

Peace and happiness to you and your family,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 07-27-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
What he means, is that if you were to put one pound of muscle next to one pound of fat, the size of the pound of muscle would be smaller in size as compared to the size of the pound of fat--though they weigh the same amount. Personally, I have seen people whom weigh near what I do, 168lbs (and near same height), and look bigger than me, but they are proportionately carrying much more fat weight, but other things like, bone density and size, water disposition, also play a role. In addition, age plays role in some cases. I would bet if I kept everything equal, and my weight the same, I would be "appear" bigger in my prime, as compared to now (52), because I carry the muscle denser as compared to my youth.

Don

Right I sort of understand. Not sure how it relates to me thats all.

I get what you and bam are getting at, but how does that explain why I'm underweight, but bigger than the guys that aren't? (the ones I've measured against anyway)

I apologize for my retardedness :L
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post

Don

I get what you and bam are getting at, but how does that explain why I'm underweight, but have bigger than the guys that aren't? (the ones I've measured against anyway)

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-27-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

I get what you and bam are getting at, but how does that explain why I'm underweight, but have bigger than the guys that aren't? (the ones I've measured against anyway)

If you are as much as an inch in height difference it can make for varying bodyweights even if fat percentage is the same etc.

So many little variables...just take comfort in the fact that not everything can be explained because if it could we'd, the members of the forum, have found the cure for cancer by now and be stinking rich
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

As Don stated, there are other factors to enter in. Age, are they older or younger? Bone density, are they big boned? Lean Muscle mass and Body fat %? When you get down below a certain %, I honestly can't tell you what that is, a single % point can make a huge difference. Personally... I wouldn't worry about the others, just continue to focus on your forward motion.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 07-27-2013 at 05:54 PM.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote