Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I see what you mean.

What I don't get though is if all these variables are a determining factor into why someone weighs a certain weight, then surely the ideal weight, and what's considered underweight and overweight are flawed to some extent.

Of course, you can tell if someone's over weight, and if someone's seriously underweight, but isn't there room for lee way in-between?

I weight 136, and the guy who sits next to me in class could be out of that underweight category, and into the ideal weight one, just because he has bigger bones and is taller.

For the record, most of the people we're around the same height as me, some smaller. All the same age,16, and from what I can tell most we're around-ish the same body fat, some a little more that myself.

I'm 5ft11 right now.

Dont get me wrong its not something I'm obsessing over, or even bothered about. Was just asking out of curiosity. Trying to understand the way things work a little better.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-27-2013 at 05:54 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Dependent upon the person, some real low body fat percentages can give the illusion that the arm (for example is bigger) than it actually is, when compared to a person whom is basically the same weight and height. For example, it is possible that two identical sized arms, say 19", on two persons whom weigh the same but have different BF percentages, that one could "look" bigger than the other, though they are the same size. The illusion is created through lower body fat revealing more of the muscle cavity and shape as compared to the other. Lower body fat does pretty nice things.......

as long as muscle is there to show.

Peace and happiness,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Dependent upon the person, some real low body fat percentages can give the illusion that the arm (for example is bigger) than it actually is, when compared to a person whom is basically the same weight and height. For example, it is possible that two identical sized arms, say 19", on two persons whom weigh the same but have different BF percentages, that one could "look" bigger than the other, though they are the same size. The illusion is created through lower body fat revealing more of the muscle cavity and shape as compared to the other. Lower body fat does pretty nice things.......

Peace and happiness,

I see.

We did measure though, we didn't just go by looks.

Thanks for the comments Don
Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Sorry mate i can't stop giggling to myself, you're 5/11 and 136. I'm 5/10 and 264. I'm nearly twice your size, I think its time I done some conditioning work. I just realised I'm twice your age to. Frowny faces everywhere.

Last edited by skids; 07-27-2013 at 06:52 PM.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

Peace and happiness,

I see.

We did measure though, we didn't just go by looks.

Thanks for the comments Don
You are welcome.

Go after your dream, YOU WANT....

Be the fitness NERD!

Us, youngens like being fitness NERDS.

It allows you to crap out Rock-On TURDS.

Remember these WORDS.

They must be HEARD.

Note: Regular bowel movements are critical to experience the SPLASH in one's inner POT.

Fly!, Fly!, Fly!

Float like a butter fly!

Sting with ROCK ONS!

Let the heart PUMP IT! Yep.....Let it RIPpppppppppp!

Buh, ha, ha.....

oh..

lol

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Sorry mate i can't stop giggling to myself, you're 5/11 and 136. I'm 5/10 and 264. I'm nearly twice your size, I think its time I done some conditioning work. I just realised I'm twice your age to. Frowny faces everywhere.

Haha, who cares man, your strong as hell!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

It's a weird thing, sometimes.

I've got a lot more comments (positive ones, haha) regarding my build/looks since gaining maybe 5kg/11lb tops, probably less, in quite recent times, than ever before. Like, a "sudden" batch of them, and they're still happening.

Even though previous gains were larger, no doubt.

I - like yourself, right? - am fairly lean, so muscle tends to show, I guess. I think this has to be why - your body fat % is low enough that even relatively small gains will show pretty well.

Or, yeah, what Don (and others?) said.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
It's a weird thing, sometimes.

I've got a lot more comments (positive ones, haha) regarding my build/looks since gaining maybe 5kg/11lb tops, probably less, in quite recent times, than ever before. Like, a "sudden" batch of them, and they're still happening.

Even though previous gains were larger, no doubt.

I - like yourself, right? - am fairly lean, so muscle tends to show, I guess. I think this has to be why - your body fat % is low enough that even relatively small gains will show pretty well.

Or, yeah, what Don (and others?) said.

Yeah I hear you.

It was more the fact that we took measurements that was the weirder ting.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Linden,
I think these kinds of comments also depend on what people value.

There are people who value being very thin. They equate this with "healthy" even though medical research shows this not to be true.

At the same time, there are people who value being "big" or "strong looking."

I say this to say, why worry about why they thought you looked good? What happens if they told you that you looked bad?

Bottom line: You have a goal. Focus on that. You can't let random comments side track you. Keep charging. And eating.