Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Meal Question

Before I start I must plead with you not to get annoyed with me. I know I sound silly and all but bare with me.

Last night I ate quite allot of carbs before going to bed.

I had half a peanut butter sandwich, and a tin of beans.

I mentioned it in the chatbox, and 5k said it was a myth that having carbs before bed was going to result in extra fat gain. BtB also tuned in later on and I told him. He said too that that was wrong.

I went to bed feeling confident that I'd be alright, but then I kept thinking about it, and my OCD messed things up agin and I started to worry, regardless of the fact that you'd told me this wouldn't happen.
I think part of it was also to do with the fact it didn't make me feel too good eating all that food anyway.

I woke up this morning feeling sluggish (perhaps this is what you we're referring to 5k, certainly wont be ding it again.) and heavy.

I don't know...I just feel like Iv'e really messed something up. I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach (along with the fullness) that this has now been counter productive on my body composition.

Anyway, I know you'll likely be annoyed that I've brought this up when you told me yesterday, and I'm sorry for that, but its the OCD, I can't really help it. I worry. Irrationally.

What makes these fears go away though is closure. I was wondering if you could explain to me why eating allot of carbs before bed will not result in extra fat gain.

If its explained to me, it'll go away. I'm just feeling abit crappy now an need your support once again I'm afraid.

If you could help me out (I know its stupid) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-10-2013 at 05:33 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Cliffhanger
Brawn
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Cliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributor

Ok got a couple things to mention here:
First off: Your body does not know what a 'day' is. We say 24 hours is a complete day but our body can not tell the difference between monday and tuesday.
Second: Your body uses energy throughout the entire day, whether your running,sleeping,on the couch or whatever. If you feed your body carbs late at night it will use it. Remember Linden it takes ALOT of times to digest food. It can take up to 48 hours before your food is fully digested. THIS is why you felt so sluggish since the food is not fully digested yet. You will probably use the carbs from last night for today. Thats why they always say that the food you eat the day before you train is more important then your 'pre' workout meal. The pre workout meal will not even be digested yet when you start your workout.
So dont worry the food from last night will just be used for energy and will not suddenly store as fat because you are sleeping.

Forgot to mention: Your body stores and burns fat the whole time. It's not a proces which happens overnight. Thats why a caloric deficit will burn fat since the net energy burned is more then the energy stored. When you eat a meal your body is storing bodyfat and burning bodyfat at the same time. The overall caloric intake will determine if your body stores or burns bodyfat at the end of a certain time frame.

Last edited by Cliffhanger; 07-10-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

If we ate like sumo wrestlers (and that's a lot of food) and then went to bed...we may gain weight but that's simply because the calorie needs of the body were outweighed by the amount eaten, nothing more.

Soldiers in the arctic (??), eat around 10,000 calories a day, they need it because of the cold in addition to their normal daily activity, etc.

As already mentioned, 24 hours, or a day to us, begins at a set time, but the body has no set time, it just uses whatever we give it, when it requires it...which is all the time...I've even read that the body burns the highest amount of fat (in relation to others stores it draws on) when we are asleep...but do go sleeping all day, because that won't work but still it uses a higher percentage of fat at that time than when we begin to move around.

The carbs at night thing began as a way to control people that were overeating, by making them stop eating carbs at night, they'd cut their calories and stop eating lots of junk since that's mainly what they would eat as carbs...so, it was a myth perpetuated by or from the initial idea which was to cut people's calories; they could just as easily have cut those calories at breakfast and not late evening, the result would have been the same...but evening is when people tend to sit and eat or comfort eat, or eat out of boredom etc...so putting a restriction on the time of the last meal, which I think was 6pm (no carbs after that time etc), that worked for them...but only because it came down to calories at the end of the day.

As long as a person consumes the amount they require, they could eat just before bed and have no issues; heavy meals before bed, however, can cause the food to be pushed back into the esophagus (more so as people get older) and high fat meals affect the LES (lower esophagal sphincter) in a way that means it doesn't necessarily close off fully...which is why some get heartburn/reflux...once again, the older person will get more of this, usually. But sleeping on an overly full stomach is more the issue than carbs or calories taken late in the evening, IMO.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Cliffhanger and Babs are spot on. The sluggish and bloated feeling is probably a slight water retention that can happen after eating carbs, could also be that you didn't sleep as well as you thought. I have found, for me, that grains at night will often cause me to feel this way, it is most often after I have gone a while low carb. You had bread, a grain based carb, and beans.(good thing you are not married, the wife would not like that.) Beans have a natural side effect made famous in movies and song, this too can make you feel lethargic and bloated, nothing a good fart or morning constitutional wont clear up. It is nothing to worry about, just move on.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

LInden, you have got to stop obsessing over ever micrro detail of your diet. I am really afraid that you are on your way to an eating disorder. That is not good. I am not sure how to help you (have already advised you, many times, to just eat and lift )

I realize that, according to you, getting "fat" will jepordize your career BUT you need to take a long hard look at how you define "fat"

You cannot / will not/ nor should you worry about stay(ing) shredded 24 /7.

It has been said sooooooo many times - you are young and you are thin if you eat clean 80% (+/-) of the time and continue to exercise - you have nothing to worry about.

If you continue to worry that every once of water gain (or for that matter, fat gain ) is going to wreck your physique; you are going to find yourself in need of medical assistance.

Just one old guy's opinion -----

BTW - I was a skinny as a rail when I was younger have always had to struggle to gain weight & judging from your avatar- you will be more likely to have the same issue rather than getting fat.

Not upset with ya Linden- just really, worried about you. You have made good progress- just keep eating and lifting.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Right got it, thanks allot for the responses, made me feel allot better.

I'll move on
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
LInden, you have got to stop obsessing over ever micrro detail of your diet. I am really afraid that you are on your way to an eating disorder. That is not good. I am not sure how to help you (have already advised you, many times, to just eat and lift )

I realize that, according to you, getting "fat" will jepordize your career BUT you need to take a long hard look at how you define "fat"

You cannot / will not/ nor should you worry about stay(ing) shredded 24 /7.

It has been said sooooooo many times - you are young and you are thin if you eat clean 80% (+/-) of the time and continue to exercise - you have nothing to worry about.

If you continue to worry that every once of water gain (or for that matter, fat gain ) is going to wreck your physique; you are going to find yourself in need of medical assistance.

Just one old guy's opinion -----

BTW - I was a skinny as a rail when I was younger have always had to struggle to gain weight & judging from your avatar- you will be more likely to have the same issue rather than getting fat.

Not upset with ya Linden- just really, worried about you. You have made good progress- just keep eating and lifting.

I understand, and I appreciate your concern man.

However, even though I often go on like this, I've come on leaps and bounds in terms of the obsession of fat gain.

Think of it this way. I'm now eating on a surplus and am lifting correctly.
Like you said, lift and eat.

Before I was so scared of doing that.

The fear is still there of course, but I trust the people who have been advising me enough that I look past my worries, and do what's necessary (lifting and eating), and its going great!

I'm making progress, I look more muscular just in the 20 days or so I've been doing things properly.

Thanks again for your concern, but I think I'll be OK. I'm doing what needs to be done, even if I do still worry about irrelevant things.

EDIT: I need a new picture, that ones 3 or 4 years old now. I'm not that skinny now. Must've been maybe 115 at the most there. I'm at 135 now.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 07-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Linden good to hear, just keep on keeping on and stop worry so blessed much !!!! Happy lifting!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

Last night I ate quite allot of carbs before going to bed.

I had half a peanut butter sandwich, and a tin of beans.
You think thatís a lot of carbs . .. . . I have been known to eat a full apple tart and cream before bed ,

Sorry , not very helpful I know , but just saw this as an opportunity to put things into perspective Ö

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Cliffhanger
Brawn
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3

Cliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markievicz View Post
You think thatís a lot of carbs . .. . . I have been known to eat a full apple tart and cream before bed ,
No poptarts?
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote