Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   People make me facepalm. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14320)

SeventySeven 07-09-2013 10:54 AM

People make me facepalm.

A friend of mine made a post if facebook on how he was not going have any "dirty" food /cheat meals or refeeds for 7 months. Which i guess is a good challenge to try if you were in a surplus.My issue was this is far from optimal for fatloss while retaining lean mass. He is a natural and has no extra hormonal assistance. So i tried to explain to him that depreiving himself of carbs for an extended period of time is going to turn his body against him when his GH, Leptin and IGF-1 and glycogen stores become essentially barren. I explained your body wants to retain a certain level of fat and starts using lean muscle instead and explained how cheat meals and refeeds benfit you on a cut. He refuted it and said refeeds/cheats will only hurt your fatloss goals. So i linked a ton of info from very reputable sources( dr Serrano, Norton, Aragon for example) i am sure he didnt even look at the data, but he retorted with that's for bodybuilders only. I replied with If its " for bodybuilders only" then a bodybuilders goal is to be as optimal as possible, how would that not apply to everyone trying to reach ideal performance and physique? he said i had no idea what i was talking about so i gave up.

Its really frustrating.

fenrisulfr 07-09-2013 11:00 AM

Diets like that aren't sustainable. Sometimes people need to fail to understand.

Off Road 07-09-2013 11:11 AM

Failure is a strict teacher.

big_swede 07-09-2013 11:13 AM

The road to failure is paved by excuses.

:)

ElementalVirago 07-09-2013 11:20 AM

It's almost impossible to change dogma with reason and logic.

I agree with everyone else here - dude's gonna fail and learn a valuable lesson in the process.

SeventySeven 07-09-2013 11:26 AM

I tried also explaining its not a suffering contest either, just because you made myself suffer more wont mean you get the optimal results in the end..

ElementalVirago 07-09-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventySeven (Post 384475)
I tried also explaining its not a suffering contest either, just because you made myself suffer more wont mean you get the optimal results in the end..

Hahah good point. It's like women who resolve to have drug free childbirth. It doesn't get you a Mother of the Year badge and either way you still end up with a baby. You're just making yourself suffer for nothing.

syn 07-09-2013 11:53 AM

Reminds of a guy I work with, he's doing 6pack shotcuts....

he's working hard, and getting skinnier. and absolutely miserable.

eating clean, only drinking black coffee

SCStrong 07-09-2013 11:59 AM

My grandaddy, once said:

" Son, lessons hard learned, are best remembered"

It, has proven to be a true statement time and tme, again.

Kuytrider 07-09-2013 12:04 PM

Personally, I am looking forward to my giant bag of tangy cheese Doritos and chocolate gateaux this weekend :)

I'd be astonished if he got near 7 months without breaking (though 77 will know if his friend can manage it) and he will find a crock of misery waiting for him at the end of that particular rainbow.