Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Messed up sleep

My sleeping habits have been a bit messed up lately. When I started my new job, I was working primarily the slow, early morning shift. I worked from 8 AM til about 2-3 PM usually. Then, I started getting more evenings. Over time, this has really seemed to have an effect on my sleeping. I have a hard time getting to sleep, staying asleep, etc. Say I go to bed at 2 AM, I'll typically wake up at 6:30 anyways. Then I'll go back to sleep and I'll sleep for 3 to 4 more hours. That's all good and well. However, the problem is going to bed at 2 AM. It's not that I am purposely staying up that late, I just do. I went and lifted Sunday night, and could not fall asleep until after 4 AM and had to be back at work at 8 AM on Monday. That's not good for my work performance or athletic performance.

Is this typical of working several different shifts that determine how your day is scheduled out? The worst is whenever I have to close and the open the next morning. I'll get home around midnight, and hopefully in bed by 1 after doing what eating I still need to do. Any suggestions? Picking out my shifts isn't a suggestion that will work. I've tried that with no luck from the managers.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

All I know is that if I workout really late in the day, then I have a real hard time going to sleep at a regular hour.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Davis
Max Brawn

Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

That could have something to do with the sleep the other night, but typically that doesn't happen even when I workout late.
Example: The last few weeks, I've had to do my squat workouts late in the evening around 9 PM. On my lower body days, I drink a few cups of coffee before hand. I have on those late nights too. I'll finish up and be asleep by midnight usually. I didn't have any caffeine before hand the other night.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've worked various shifts over the course of my life. Regardless of the shift, I've needed time after work to relax. Second shift I could never get to sleep before 2am.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Just a few thoughts;

Try with or without a fan running/music.

Block all light. Covers/foil over windows, towel under the door.

Adjust the temperature.

I don't know what your stance on alcohol is, but a little right after you get home could help with relaxing.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
All I know is that if I workout really late in the day, then I have a real hard time going to sleep at a regular hour.
same here if workout late, and I am pretty buzzed from the workout I will be wide awake for hours.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i used to have a terrible work schedule, too. i had to work every weekend, and my days off during the week weren't together. 1 of my days off was a throw-away: i would come home from night shift at the beginning of my day off, and the following day, i had to work 2nd shift. this screwed with my sleep so badly. often, i ended up awake all night -- and it was a week night, so i couldn't go out and do anything social. it was just wasted time.
unfortunately, the only solution for that situation was a change in schedule the following year.
there is 1 tip i can give you, though: do not start trying to regulate your sleep with over-the-counter sleep aides. it's diphenhydramine, and if you're anything like me, it will mess you up even worse. you'll get sleep alright, but you'll be so groggy during waking hours that all you'll want to do is sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've needed time after work to relax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
x2 on both of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Try with or without a fan running/music.

Block all light. Covers/foil over windows, towel under the door.

Adjust the temperature.

I don't know what your stance on alcohol is, but a little right after you get home could help with relaxing.
i've found all these to be effective at different times. for blocking out the light, you could also just put a shirt over your eyes. at one time, for a period of 2-3 yrs., i would use ear plugs, even when there wasn't much noise. somehow it helped me relax.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Davis
Max Brawn

Thanks for the advice, guys. Hopefully some of it will work. As for sleep aids, I was talking to a girl the other day about exactly what you said, SO. She said she will take one and sleep for 12 hours, and I asked what happens if she has to get up by an alarm clock while on it. She said she just feels like going back to bed- which makes me wonder why you would take them at all.

ED, I love alcohol. So, no...me buying some just to get to sleep is out of the question. Part of the reason my training has been so good these past few months (I think) is because I am using it as a way to not drink. (I can't just have one drink...or drink for just one night.)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

When I was kickboxing training would end at 9, I found that a cold shower right after training helped me cool off, then I would have a light meal, and I would be able to settle by 12ish

other scenario was having a hot shower after training + large meal, & I would be buzzing til about 3 am

I can sympathize with you & not being able to stop at one drink, I avoid most of the time now

I tried weed a few time & made some cosmic yogurts, this didn't suit me for a number of reasons, and didn't help me sleep, I ended up reading for hours.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote