Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
tomgurl
New Brawn
Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

tomgurl is off to a good starttomgurl is off to a good starttomgurl is off to a good start
Default Feeling Drained

I am just feeling so drained today. I got lots of sleep last night but am still so tired. I slept for over 12 hours. What do you do when you just want to go back to bed but can not or should not? I just can not seem to wake up no matter what I do
tomgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgurl View Post
I am just feeling so drained today. I got lots of sleep last night but am still so tired. I slept for over 12 hours. What do you do when you just want to go back to bed but can not or should not? I just can not seem to wake up no matter what I do
Depends on the situation...I've had days where I can't even raise my head off the pillow and fall asleep almost instantly after the last mouthful of a meal...surreal...but to me that just means there is something wrong and the body is dealing with it the best way it knows how.

On other occasions, I've had no choice but to survive the day on one hour's sleep (not the insomnia style sleeplessness) and strangely still had more energy to draw on than the above mentioned scenario.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i've been in situations like that before. when it happens during a work day, i just try to do my best knowing i'm not at my peak. when it happens on a day off, i just ride the lazy wave
usually, though, i'm afraid of messing up my sleep pattern if i go back to bed, so i try to stay awake watching movies all day or something like that.
in general, too much sleep makes me feel groggy, not well rested. not sure if that's the case with you, though.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
fortified
New Brawn
Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2 Points: 142, Level: 2

fortified is off to a good startfortified is off to a good startfortified is off to a good start

I am like that as well. Too much sleep makes me feel more tired. If I have issues waking up, I just bring on the caffiene but allow myself to take it easy and be lazy as well.
fortified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

More pizza.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
More pizza.
Yeah...I always had problems with that one, tended to stick to my face as fell asleep on it
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

to much sleep makes me groggy, 6-7 hours of quality sleep and I feel much fresher.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Hello, TomGurl

Fatigue or feeling personally drained can be caused from a variety of personal
factors:

1.Your dietary contents:

Calories, macros, micros, and whether you are getting hydrated during the day. This would point to whether your getting enough calories to support your activities (or too much), and whether macros/micros are adequate within the calories consumed, and in some cases, the timing of these meals (insulin response, blood sugar rise and fall, etc). Do you drink alcohol? If so how much and how many times per week?

2. Your Training:

Volume during the week and rest days to allow for recuperation and repair. If you are not allowing enough time to recuperate and/or your calories (macros), are not supporting your activities, can cause fatigue and a draining feeling (for example). Too much sleep and not enough sleep can cause fatigue/drain. Work on trying to find the sweet spot dependent on your activity level, and vary your sleep patterns and see what works.

3. Your Job:

Bringing in 1 and 2 and enjoin it with your job. Is your job (if employed) physically taxing or both physically and mentally taxing?

4. Your period:

Hormonal shifts in declining an increasing hormones can cause various personal issues, and when you factor in the variables in 1, 2, or 3, can cause complexity in learning the answer.

5. Home environmental variables that provide stress related responses

6. If things check out (and you are modifying variables in 1, 2, 3, 4 to see what response you get back tweaking them), see a doctor to be sure there's not a health issue cause. However, even when all of these check out and you begin to change things up to improve your drainage disposition, the body is just flat: "A Lazy @ss", and is lazy for no apparent rhyme or reason. You see its my belief that on a daily basis there are two persons we deal with inside: Our mental state and thinking, and the way our bodies feel--that affect our way of thinking and mental state. For example, mentally you feel great! But, the body has other agendas and feels miserable and lazy. Sometimes, mentally when you "know" things are right, you just have "kick its @ss" for its own good, as its up to the task more often than not, though it thinks its not. This happens and is very common, and is one we all have to deal with.

But take a look at the things I listed and see what you can do to either improve them, remove them, modify them, or lower them in certain instances. Can you be more forthcoming on your training, job, diet, and activites? This way we may be able to pinpoint certain things and make more concise suggestions.

Peace and happiness to you TomGurl,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 06-30-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
hercules455
Brawn
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 14
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT!
Fav Supp: AAEFX KOTIC
hercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributor

I always feel more tired when I sleep too much. Also hormones, life circumstances, etc could lead to poor sleep or feeling lethargic. If it's persistent i'd get a blood test.
hercules455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Thinking outside of the box.

If feeling drained is a regular occurrence and you're healthy, get your life in order. Find direction. Get excited. A motivated, driven person rarely needs sleep.
I might be a mutant, but this, I know is true

JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote