Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   IIFYM, what it is and what it should be (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14198)

SeventySeven 06-28-2013 04:00 PM

IIFYM, what it is and what it should be

What it is: An excuse to eat whatever you like.

What it should be: a flexible approach to counting food, where fibre and micros are also accounted for. Where moderated consumption of non whole foods is promoted for mental health and the prevention of an eating disorder.

BendtheBar 06-28-2013 04:15 PM

The impact of IIFYM can also masked due to youth. The hormonal/physical impact of dirty, or nutritionally weak food appears to be non-existent. Cumulative impact is not factored in, as young folks feel they will live forever, or always feel the same after they eat that Pop-tart.

I have no issue with balance, but let it be known that one day you will wake up, eat a Pop-tart, get the shits, and wake up the next day with a food hangover. Even if you lived a life of health and fitness. At least that was the case for me.

SeventySeven 06-28-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 380051)
The impact of IIFYM can also masked due to youth. The hormonal/physical impact of dirty, or nutritionally weak food appears to be non-existent. Cumulative impact is not factored in, as young folks feel they will live forever, or always feel the same after they eat that Pop-tart.

I have no issue with balance, but let it be known that one day you will wake up, eat a Pop-tart, get the shits, and wake up the next day with a food hangover. Even if you lived a life of health and fitness. At least that was the case for me.

^^^^^^^

Kleurplaay 06-28-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventySeven (Post 380045)
What it is: An excuse to eat whatever you like.

What it should be: a flexible approach to counting food, where fibre and micros are also accounted for. Where moderated consumption of non whole foods is promoted for mental health and the prevention of an eating disorder.

I'd prefer to word it more like
"What people think IIFYM is
What IIFYM actually means"

But that's just nitpicking a bit. I agree that a large group of people claims to follow IIFYM yet doesn't know what it's actually about!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 380051)

Steve, do we even want to know what happened after that 9k calorie video you made?

MikeM 06-28-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleurplaay (Post 380069)
Steve, do we even want to know what happened after that 9k calorie video you made?

He slept like a baby, woke up and dropped a massive for his morning consitutional and went about his day happy as a clam.

It's those damn pop tarts that are the trouble! Protein and fats? No trouble at all. Straight sugar? Very bad and it gets worse the older you are. You'll notice he barely got into those brownies much at all. And I love me a slice of pie, but lately it isn't worth it.

hercules455 06-30-2013 09:20 PM

Most people use it as an excuse to eat whatever they want as long as they hit the macros.