Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Periodical Knee Pain

I don't think I've ever struggled with knee pain from my squats until after I started lifting again after a few good months off. During that time I was pretty much completely inactive. Anyways, some knee pain came and went. At one point I had to take two weeks off of squatting because it was so bad. It went away. Here again lately I've been noticing it again. So, here's a little bit about my current way of life:

On my feet working for around 40 hours a week. Squats twice a week. Regular and front(after deadlifts). I also got some weightlifting shoes about a month ago. I noticed that when using those, my right knee had some pain. I was able to work through that by just pushing my hips back a little more. With the squat shoes, I've noticed over this past month that sometimes I get some irritation, but nothing too bad. It usually goes away during my warm ups. This has NOT happened every session I've worn these shoes. However, tonight, I went in to squat and had the pain all of the way up to my heaviest set. Instead of 5 reps, I had to opt for 2 because I don't want to risk an injury right now. I ended up dropping the weight down all the way off to just the bar and still found that no matter how I squatted, the pain was coming on as I got closer to parallel. I even tried switching into my chucks, but at least for tonight, it was of no use.

So, suggestions? I'm sure some hip mobility work would suit me well.(And shoulder mobility work. I surely need that and did some earlier) Do you all think this is a matter of tightness in my muscles or something a little bigger like tendinitis? I want to try to squat again tomorrow and will be doing a lot of stretching throughout the day to at least get the tip of the iceberg. And, has anyone else experienced anything similar to this with weightlifting shoes?
The shoes seem to have some benefit to them, but if they are the cause of this, there is no true benefit. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Do you have any videos available? That could go a long way in diagnosing the issues here!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Davis
Max Brawn

Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Nope. I train alone and my phone won't stand up to make a video. I might be able to get someone at the gym video me today though.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Shorts
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

I would try it, it is possible that your knee is caving in and you don't realize it, which in turns puts a lot of stress on that knee causing the pain.

Something to at least look for yourself if you can't get a video!

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Davis
Max Brawn

Never thought of that. I'll definitely keep a close eye. It could be and I don't know it.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Davis
Max Brawn

It seems the problem was a matter of my muscles being tight. I did a good bit of stretching in my hips, hams, quads, and adductors and the squats were normal and seemed a bit more powerful than usual. It may also be worth noting that I squatted in my chucks rather than the weightlifting shoes.