Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Tony Gentilcore and Overhead Pressing

T NATION | The Truth About Overhead Pressing

Posting for discussion:

Quote:
"Overhead pressing is awesome, but most people suck at it and end up hurting themselves in the process."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Wow, now the simple press overhead is dangerous?
What does he have to say about the complexity of the squat?
Not everybody is meant to raise their arms overhead?
What does he do when his wife asks him to get something down from the top shelf?

Sorry honey, my shoulders are sloped. You know I can't do that, I might get injured.

Note:
Just having a bit of fun. I realize that there are some people where this might be an issue. Probably not enough of them to devote an entire article towards though.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I haven't read the article yet, but I actually agree with the quote. Most people I have observed use a bastardized version of the OHP which involves too wide of a grip and a shortened unatural ROM. I think both of these issues lead to a lot of shoulder strains and pains. THis isn't the fault of the OHP as it is more the ignorance of the average gym lifter.
Just my opinion.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I'd say they "suck at it" because they're using loads that are far too heavy to begin with; if a person uses a lighter, manageable load, there probably wouldn't be a single issue with it.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I'm in the boat with guys who can't overhead press with any appreciable loads. They really mess me up and cause pain even with lighter weights. Dumbells help, but my shoulders are never going to be great with overhead work.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i talked to a friend recently about OHP, and i mentioned how several months ago, my rotator cuffs felt very sore from high volume benching. he said that one of the old-school lifters (might've been Bill Starr, can't remember) said that rotator cuff injuries weren't common before bench press became more popular than OHP. in other words, he was saying OHP led to less shoulder issues than bench press, not more.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
i talked to a friend recently about OHP, and i mentioned how several months ago, my rotator cuffs felt very sore from high volume benching. he said that one of the old-school lifters (might've been Bill Starr, can't remember) said that rotator cuff injuries weren't common before bench press became more popular than OHP. in other words, he was saying OHP led to less shoulder issues than bench press, not more.
Yeah, I've read that as well; they even highlight the point that in most (if not all) training publications of those eras, the rotator cuff was never mentioned; whereas today, it's mentioned quite a bit.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

How You Can Avoid Lower Back Pain On The Overhead Press | StrongLifts StrongLifts

I do believe, in my limited experience, most people don't contract their glutes while performing the ohp and that is why they risk sustaining injury to the lower back. The article explains how contracting glutes prevents the pelvis from tilting inward causing lower back arch/potential injury. Personally, I've never come close to injuring myself with ohp. Of course, I was lucky enough to be taught right
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

This seems appropriate given the discussion is about OHP and therefore shoulders. There are 4 variations in the acromion as well which affect how people's shoulders react, some of it comes down to age/wear and tear but not always, and since we may have a different type of acromion to the next person that makes it easier or harder on our shoulder than theirs and vice versa.

I say 4 variations because there is a type 3b (or a B type to one of the others), I read it a few years back and they'd differentiated between a 3a and 3b instead of having them grouped as one type, but I can't tell you why; it mostly comes down to the angle, shape, and distance between the bones and bursa (?) (I'm not a medic, but you know what I mean, I think) and the space within/around the acromion is what makes the OHP difficult for some and easier for others, in terms of pain or discomfort and such.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'm in the boat with guys who can't overhead press with any appreciable loads. They really mess me up and cause pain even with lighter weights. Dumbells help, but my shoulders are never going to be great with overhead work.
I am in the exact same situation if you just swap OHP with bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
^^^ that's my problem exactly if I bench too much. Ended up alternating OHP and bench, which seems to work better.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote