Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tony Gentilcore and Overhead Pressing (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14147)

BendtheBar 06-24-2013 10:17 AM

Tony Gentilcore and Overhead Pressing

T NATION | The Truth About Overhead Pressing

Posting for discussion:

Quote:

"Overhead pressing is awesome, but most people suck at it and end up hurting themselves in the process."

Off Road 06-24-2013 10:32 AM

Wow, now the simple press overhead is dangerous?
What does he have to say about the complexity of the squat?
Not everybody is meant to raise their arms overhead?
What does he do when his wife asks him to get something down from the top shelf?

Sorry honey, my shoulders are sloped. You know I can't do that, I might get injured.

Note:
Just having a bit of fun. I realize that there are some people where this might be an issue. Probably not enough of them to devote an entire article towards though.

BigJosh 06-24-2013 10:37 AM

I haven't read the article yet, but I actually agree with the quote. Most people I have observed use a bastardized version of the OHP which involves too wide of a grip and a shortened unatural ROM. I think both of these issues lead to a lot of shoulder strains and pains. THis isn't the fault of the OHP as it is more the ignorance of the average gym lifter.
Just my opinion.

5kgLifter 06-24-2013 10:38 AM

I'd say they "suck at it" because they're using loads that are far too heavy to begin with; if a person uses a lighter, manageable load, there probably wouldn't be a single issue with it.

Soldier 06-24-2013 10:48 AM

I'm in the boat with guys who can't overhead press with any appreciable loads. They really mess me up and cause pain even with lighter weights. Dumbells help, but my shoulders are never going to be great with overhead work.

SecondsOut 06-24-2013 11:09 AM

i talked to a friend recently about OHP, and i mentioned how several months ago, my rotator cuffs felt very sore from high volume benching. he said that one of the old-school lifters (might've been Bill Starr, can't remember) said that rotator cuff injuries weren't common before bench press became more popular than OHP. in other words, he was saying OHP led to less shoulder issues than bench press, not more.

5kgLifter 06-24-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 378281)
i talked to a friend recently about OHP, and i mentioned how several months ago, my rotator cuffs felt very sore from high volume benching. he said that one of the old-school lifters (might've been Bill Starr, can't remember) said that rotator cuff injuries weren't common before bench press became more popular than OHP. in other words, he was saying OHP led to less shoulder issues than bench press, not more.

Yeah, I've read that as well; they even highlight the point that in most (if not all) training publications of those eras, the rotator cuff was never mentioned; whereas today, it's mentioned quite a bit.

JBrown 06-24-2013 03:55 PM

How You Can Avoid Lower Back Pain On The Overhead Press | StrongLifts StrongLifts

I do believe, in my limited experience, most people don't contract their glutes while performing the ohp and that is why they risk sustaining injury to the lower back. The article explains how contracting glutes prevents the pelvis from tilting inward causing lower back arch/potential injury. Personally, I've never come close to injuring myself with ohp. Of course, I was lucky enough to be taught right:)

5kgLifter 06-24-2013 04:03 PM

This seems appropriate given the discussion is about OHP and therefore shoulders. There are 4 variations in the acromion as well which affect how people's shoulders react, some of it comes down to age/wear and tear but not always, and since we may have a different type of acromion to the next person that makes it easier or harder on our shoulder than theirs and vice versa.

I say 4 variations because there is a type 3b (or a B type to one of the others), I read it a few years back and they'd differentiated between a 3a and 3b instead of having them grouped as one type, but I can't tell you why; it mostly comes down to the angle, shape, and distance between the bones and bursa (?) (I'm not a medic, but you know what I mean, I think) and the space within/around the acromion is what makes the OHP difficult for some and easier for others, in terms of pain or discomfort and such.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/432/2...e4fc062094.gif

kitarpyar 06-24-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 378277)
I'm in the boat with guys who can't overhead press with any appreciable loads. They really mess me up and cause pain even with lighter weights. Dumbells help, but my shoulders are never going to be great with overhead work.

I am in the exact same situation if you just swap OHP with bench.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 378281)

^^^ that's my problem exactly if I bench too much. Ended up alternating OHP and bench, which seems to work better.