Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Body temps (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14089)

angie828 06-18-2013 05:50 PM

Body temps

So my husband is always so hot, and I seem to always be cold. I know that men are suppose to be warmer than woman but it is crazy how the house can feel comfortable to me, yet be so darn hot for him that he is breaking out in a sweat, or the house is very cold to me, but yet he says that it is not cold enough for him. What gives?

5kgLifter 06-18-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie828 (Post 376347)
So my husband is always so hot, and I seem to always be cold. I know that men are suppose to be warmer than woman but it is crazy how the house can feel comfortable to me, yet be so darn hot for him that he is breaking out in a sweat, or the house is very cold to me, but yet he says that it is not cold enough for him. What gives?

Depends on a few things...if he has higher bodyfat than you...if your body temp is slightly lower than his...the fact that men also have thicker skin than women...and whether you're deficient in iron; all possibilities, and he may just prefer cooler weather/temps.

quigs 06-18-2013 06:56 PM

I do know that men are usually hotter than woman. But like 5kg said there are many reasons for this.

Off Road 06-18-2013 07:14 PM

Women are better survivors in that they are better at shunting body heat to their cores, which leaves their extremities colder.

moeheep 06-18-2013 07:47 PM

we used to have the same problem at my house...until I lost 100 lbs...now I'M the cold one!!

Tannhauser 06-19-2013 11:22 AM

Same thing here. It's very rare that I feel cold. If I'm walking in the mountains with Mrs T, she can be layered-up while I'm in a T-shirt.

There are many reasons for the sex difference, some of which have been mentioned, but it's partly down to men being heavier (which Moe alluded to) and hence having a lower surface area/volume ratio.

Think of it like this:

Imagine you have an animal that's roughly cube shaped, and he measures 1cm X 1 cm X 1 cm. So his volume is 1 cubic centimetre. He has 1 cubic centimetre of tissue that is doing all the metabolic processes that generate heat.

He loses that heat through his surface. He has six sides and each measures one square cm. So his total surface area is 6 square cm.

So his surface area: volume ratio is 6:1. For every cubic cm of volume he has 6 square cm to lose it through.

Now imagine his bigger brother who measures 2 cm X 2cm X 2cm. He has a volume of 8 cubic cm, and a surface area of 24 square cm.

His surface area: volume ratio is 24:8 or 3:1. This means that he loses heat much more slowly than his little brother, because his ratio is only half as large.

Bottom line: the smaller your body mass, the harder it is to stop radiating away all your heat. Even if everything else was kept equal between the sexes, this alone would mean that women get cold more easily. It's also one reason why children and very old people get hypothermia more easily: they just have lower body mass.

brad1224 06-19-2013 11:26 AM

thats how it is for me all the time!!

females are just always colder than males it feels like...esp if they are small

prchaser 06-19-2013 07:28 PM

Seems to me that men always seem to burn hotter. Not really sure why they do but it happens.

jdmalm123 06-19-2013 10:33 PM

Testosterone!

philcardo8 06-20-2013 10:53 AM

My wife is always colder than me. I come home from work and the house to me is hot in the summer but she says that she is chilly. I agree, it could very well be the testosterone in men.