Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Healthy Homemade Bread Recipes? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14062)

SaxonViolence 06-16-2013 06:40 PM

Healthy Homemade Bread Recipes?

My sister and I are poor and we've been discussing getting into home made bread.

I really prefer rye, but we generally compromise and get whole wheat store-bought.

I will eat white bread only under dire necessity.

Wondering how simple home made compares to "Whole Wheat" from the store.

{Sure, its way tastiernot the point right now...}

{As I understand it, both rye and whole wheat store bread are mostly milled white flour, flavored with whole wheat or rye.}

A.} Adding wheat germ is one way to go—but I know that she won't stomach much wheat germ...

Besides, wheat germ is relatively expensive. It eats up much of the hypothetical saving.

{Well, the idea isn't to save on Bread Cost, but to Beef Bread up to be a Staple in our Diets...}

B.} I'm a strong believer that most anything becomes nutritious with enough powdered milk thrown in—but once again, price.

Does anyone know a way to beef home made bread up to be a healthy anchor staple and still save money over comparative staples that one could buy in its place?

Thanx!

Saxon Violence

5kgLifter 06-16-2013 06:45 PM

You could look up Cornell Bread, I think there may be a recipe online somewhere.

With homemade bread, it's more filling than shop bought stuff, because it isn't as puffed but still melts in the mouth. I tend to use 1/3 white at a minimum, though I have done a 100% rye :D turned out fine with loads of caraway seeds, left a few days to soften up, so that I could cut it with a knife and not smash a window with it....sounds bad but it was seriously good bread; and you can't go wrong with bread, not really, no matter what you do to or with it.

bamazav 06-16-2013 08:18 PM

I love a good piece of wheaten bread. When I was over in Northern Ireland I had some of the best whole grain bread I have ever had.

fenrisulfr 06-16-2013 11:56 PM

Check out milled flax seed. Omega 3, fiber, and a little protein. My wife just made a wheat and oat bread with the flax. Cheap healthy good. Homemade bread is cheap but you have to eat it quick. Molds a lot quicker than store bread.

5kgLifter 06-17-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenrisulfr (Post 375588)
Check out milled flax seed. Omega 3, fiber, and a little protein. My wife just made a wheat and oat bread with the flax. Cheap healthy good. Homemade bread is cheap but you have to eat it quick. Molds a lot quicker than store bread.

I've noticed the complete opposite where the mould is concerned...shop bought bread moulds within a day or two, homemade seems fine for about a week; some of it comes down to the amount of yeast used and the warmth of the storage area.

There's one bread I like making which takes 7 days of feeding the starter, that has to be left in a cool area otherwise it moulds, but the bread made with the 7-day starter keeps for a long time...tastes good too. :)

There is a saying that the longer it takes to make a loaf, the longer it will remain fresh; whether that's true or not though, I don't know. It may be because longer proofing is normally required with less yeast and that would make sense.

BendtheBar 06-17-2013 03:13 PM

I use 2/3rds flax and 1/3rds almond meal with seasonings. Stir in water until desired batter thickness.

Place 1/2 inch in the bottom of a bowl and microwave. Makes a low carb, health, "bun" or roll.

big_swede 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

I bake most of our bread, I usually make buns instead of loafs since loafs tend to get dry faster.

I put anything healthy in it

Sample recipie

Yeast
Olive oil
Water
Salt
Thyme (or other spices of your choice, I wary)
A little syrup or sugar to help the yeast, just a table spoon
Oats
Rye flour
Rye oats
Flax seeds

Can also put in nuts, raisins, seeds or whatever. Pieces of dried fruit is awesome.

fenrisulfr 06-17-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 375801)
I've noticed the complete opposite where the mould is concerned...shop bought bread moulds within a day or two, homemade seems fine for about a week; some of it comes down to the amount of yeast used and the warmth of the storage area.

There's one bread I like making which takes 7 days of feeding the starter, that has to be left in a cool area otherwise it moulds, but the bread made with the 7-day starter keeps for a long time...tastes good too. :)

There is a saying that the longer it takes to make a loaf, the longer it will remain fresh; whether that's true or not though, I don't know. It may be because longer proofing is normally required with less yeast and that would make sense.

You mean sourdough bread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 375826)
I bake most of our bread, I usually make buns instead of loafs since loafs tend to get dry faster.

I put anything healthy in it

Sample recipie

Yeast
Olive oil
Water
Salt
Thyme (or other spices of your choice, I wary)
A little syrup or sugar to help the yeast, just a table spoon
Oats
Rye flour
Rye oats
Flax seeds

Can also put in nuts, raisins, seeds or whatever. Pieces of dried fruit is awesome.

Really good post.

5kgLifter 06-18-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenrisulfr (Post 375898)
You mean sourdough bread.

You know your breads :) yeah, it's a sourdough type with a twist.