Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
IainK
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
So, how many lbs will plate resisted sliding chest flys add to my bench?
Well 0lbs. unless you impliment t-nations Snake Oi... errr I mean Anaconda protocol. Then you could potentially add 500lbs to your bench whilst getting to minus 3.7% bodyfat. Off course you can only buy this stuff if you prove your truly hardcore. I think this involves G4P at the t-nation HQ?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Damn thats brutal!

T NATION | Complexes Made Simple
Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Meanwhile at T-nation the "3 best rowing exercises"....

Are actually 1 exercise with a slightly different stance and a smith machine row....

"2" row variations:

Not Going to bother posting the smith machine row. Do these guys actually get paid for producing this shit? And do people actually take them serious?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the...wing-exercises

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

^^^^ I actually like the meadow rows variation a lot. Donʻt know what it is but it hits the sweet spot. Every workout Iʻve been doing Meadow rows and Db Rows.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

John Meadows is a bit of a genius. He realized that he wasn't going to be a great bodybuilder (even though his physique is admittedly impressive) so he got into the salesman gig at Tnation. Now he's basically the most well known non-Olympia competitor around. More power to him. I think he's got some good info to put out, and there are plenty of suckers to pay up for lots of supplements and Ebooks.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Just to clarify, I am not criticizing the 1 arm barbell row at all.
But that isn't 2 movements.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 12-05-2013 at 11:22 PM.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #27
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Just to clarify, I am not criticizing the 1 arm barbell row at all.
But that isn't 2 movements.
They're more different from each other than high bar squats are from low bar squats. Or close, anyway. And yet, in plenty of big lifters' blogs and books and stuff, you see high bar and low bar specified individually, to produce different results.

In other words, why not do the same for meadows rows and 1-arm barbell rows?

Having tried both, I'm sticking with 1-arm BB rows for now. I don't consider them interchangeable. YMMV, etc.

Last edited by Dray; 12-06-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Are actually 1 exercise with a slightly different stance and a smith machine row....
I suppose you could say that it's a hammer grip v an overhand grip variation (as a DL would go, if you know what I mean, not sure what else to term the grip, since it's not a curl grip) and they'd have a different impact on the movement but, IMO, I feel that would be more to do with grip than the primary muscles targeted, so a stronger grip in one or the other variation would produce better results etc.

Plus the load is placed at a different angle to the body which does make a difference, though it may be subtle; one clearly to the side with the other below the bodyline.

Just a thought or two.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #29
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

This article is titled "9 ways to get better in the gym", but if I were the editor I'd call it "some of the worst fucking advice ever written non-ironically."

http://www.t-nation.com/training/9-w...ter-in-the-gym

Some gems-
"You cannot improve your deadlift training it only once per week"

"Deadlift every damn day"

""If you're bad at it you should do it more." I hate everything about this statement. It makes no sense and is so meaningless that it should never be uttered again."

"For instance, I'm pretty crappy at doing back bends like a Cirque de Soleil contortionist, so by that logic I should do more of them, even though I might wind up crippled. Maybe I should try to play hockey more even though I can't skate to save my life, or perhaps I should run a marathon, barefoot, against a Kenyan."

No one said do something pointless and dangerous. The point is that you should address your weaknesses so they don't hinder you from your goals or possibly lead to FUCKING INJURY. Talking about being a contortionist or running a marathon has NOTHING TO DO with lifting.

This entire article is idiotic. Jabber, jabber, jabber while offering absolutely nothing of worth and giving potentially harmful advice. Great job guys.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #30
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

So having scanned through it, I was thinking: 'What would the author recommend if you were a terrible deadlifter?'

Would he say 'deadlift every day, because there's no way you can improve it by doing it once a week?' Or would he say 'avoid it altogether because there's no point in continually doing something you suck at' ?

He's so busy being radical and contrary, he's even disagreeing with himself.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote