Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member
Default Foam Rolling and Stretching

Foam Rolling and Stretching

Do you implement stretching or using a foam roller into your training program? If so do you think it helps and why?

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I foam roll. My back and legs, mostly. Keeps you flexible. Helps with DOMS.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

I tried out foam rolling as part of my warm up for a few weeks, I didn't find it was any benefit at all on training days.

but on the rest days, in the morning I foam roll, and I find helps re-leave any tension or muscle soreness.
I also massage my feet with a slither (similar to a lacrosse ball).
this makes is probably part placebo, but it really makes the difference the day after training.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I need to, but my work ethic on this sucks.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

I currently foam roll and dynamic warm up before lifting. I'm not entirely convinced it does anything. I'm thinking about switching to just doing a lot more warm up sets. Recently read that the Bulgarians would sometimes take 10-20 sets of 60kg during their squat warm ups. Basically until they were hitting great positions.

I'm torn, though. I don't think I can improve my technique without doing a shit ton of mobility work. Once I can actually get in to proper positions, then I can use the lifts themselves to keep the mobility in check. However, if I'm going to do mobility work, I might as well foam roll.

The other thing maybe convincing me to keep foam rolling, is that squatting, deadlifting and benching 3x a week really does create a lottt of scar tissue.

Last edited by Paradox; 06-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
The other thing maybe convincing me to keep foam rolling, is that squatting, deadlifting and benching 3x a week really does create a lottt of scar tissue.
Crikey! What kind of program is that?!

Is it heavy squats, bench and deads 3 x a week? Or sort of almost "cube"-like, or maybe westside (one of those things that has different loading of each lift throughout the week, or fortnight perhaps. Something like that.

I know it's not anything to do with foam rolling or stretching. Sorry about that, but I was just curious.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Crikey! What kind of program is that?!

Is it heavy squats, bench and deads 3 x a week? Or sort of almost "cube"-like, or maybe westside (one of those things that has different loading of each lift throughout the week, or fortnight perhaps. Something like that.

I know it's not anything to do with foam rolling or stretching. Sorry about that, but I was just curious.
Deads I guess are only 2x week, but I know plenty who do 3x week. It's just Sheiko with an extra squat day for recovery. Bench is actually going to be 4x week eventually.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I do it as needed. I go through periods where I roll and stretch for up to 30 minutes per day. Recently I have done next to nothing.

Dave Tate said on the matter (I'm paraphrasing here) that if you're doing it when you don't really need to, what are you going to do when you're really ****ed up?

I think that sums it up nicely
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

I do some stretching, or rather flexibility work for calves and shoulders. Foam roll only when I feel unusually sore.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
BravenFenix
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Foam rolling seems rather annoying for the most part. What I mean is I have the dense big black one and it's really hard to work in the legs or anything other than the back.

For the back it's amazing. Once a day for a few minutes I go on it and roll up and down a couple times, then extend my back in three places while breathing deeply. I extend my back and use this more as an aid to increase deep breathing while going into extension. It really helps. I don't sleep on my back and am usually on my side, so I usually hear a pop or two but that's good because they are going into there places. Also most people just sit to long and incorrectly, so this seems like something for nearly every population.

For stretching first roll a golf ball in the middle and outer part of the foot followed by I do some hip/glute/quad stretches for mobilizing before training sessions.

I think a few mobility drills are a must, at least for the lower body on training days. Upper body not so much, but everything should be individualized. I think everyone should roll their back and breath deeply while extending daily.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote