Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default Lifting with muscular dystrophy

Just got off the phone with a friend of the family. She was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at age 8, she's about 5 foot tall and 70lbs, in her 30s.

Says her legs are scary weak. She hasn't been to the gym in 3 years, we haven't talked about what lifts she did.

She will be here within a few days and I'm wondering what you think we should do? I'm sure she can't manage much at all with free weight. Squatting is out of the question with her feet (she uses crutches 24/7). I'm thinking higher reps on the leg press, even just leg curl and extension machine if we have to. Probably just focus on legs and seated rows depending on what she wants.

What say you, until I do more searching on it.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

I am not sure what she could all do. I guess you would have to talk to her and find out how comfortable she is with doing things? I think that it is great that she has lifted before. You will have to let us know what you decided to do.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Thanks. I'll update once we start.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Interested to see how she progresses man, keep us posted.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
doublechin
New Brawn
Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

doublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality postsdoublechin has made some quality posts

This is great Looking forward to the progress that is made on this.
doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

this is a really old thread but I just ran across it and was curious -how ( or did) she progress, ED?
My mom had muscular dystrophy - it is a horrible disease that basically makes the body destroy its own muscle fiber
There is really no hope of building new muscle with MD but perhaps, one could delay the effects of the disease..... prayers and best wishes to your friend, ED
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
this is a really old thread but I just ran across it and was curious -how ( or did) she progress, ED?
My mom had muscular dystrophy - it is a horrible disease that basically makes the body destroy its own muscle fiber
There is really no hope of building new muscle with MD but perhaps, one could delay the effects of the disease..... prayers and best wishes to your friend, ED
Oh man I forgot about this...and im sorry about your mother.

No, no progress. She worked hard off and on but got discouraged easily.