Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sleep Apnea (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13777)

curl2much 05-21-2013 06:56 PM

Sleep Apnea

Anyone on here have sleep apnea? I am now sleeping with a mouth guard, and it sucks to high heaven. Never tried a machine but they say that the mouth piece is better than the machine. Not feeling quite rested yet but I have only slept with it for 2 days, I know give it some time and I will get used to it but it still really stinks.

nighttrain 05-21-2013 07:55 PM

I have Sleep apnea, but im on a CPAP machine and have been for almost 4 years, I don't know much about the mouth guard but I can tell you that with the machine, once you get used to it, the quality of sleep is 150% better.

tracker 05-22-2013 06:56 PM

Nighttrain did your machine get covered by insurance? Do you find that you are not tired throughout the day anymore? My dad has sleep apnea but does not use a machine. I think that he should but he is worried about the cost and it not working.

nighttrain 05-22-2013 08:09 PM

yes my insurance covered my machine... but I was in the Army when I was diagnoised, so they paid for everything, one great thing about the Army.... Medical insurance rocks.... since I have been using my machine I feel a lot better and fall asleep during the day a lot less.... I would recommend that he uses the machine if he can get one.

SaxonViolence 05-23-2013 11:26 AM

I had Apnea.

I found that I couldn't wear the machines.

As soon as I would fall asleep, I would unconsciously strip the gear off my head.

Some reports claim that playing the "Didgeridoo"—a Traditional Aboriginal wind instrument helps.

Twenty minutes daily seems sufficient.

I enjoyed "Playing" mine. I never mastered "Circular Breathing" or got anything but varying pitched Drones...

But I did it for about an hour daily, for about six months.

My Apnea vanished.

I get a good solid six hours or more of sleep each night and I sometimes sleep on my back for 20-30 minutes—and that is with a 26 pound Rat Terrier that climbs in and out of the bed—using me as a stepping stone—a dozen times or more nightly.

I got away from playing my Didgeridoo, but though its been a couple years since I played it regularly, the good results remain.

{I keep meaning to start regular Practice again...}

Try it In Addition to, Not Instead of Conventional Remedies...

And your results may not be as rewarding as mine.

Modern Didgeridoos - For Sleep Apnea - The Didgeridoo Store

Saxon Violence

I WILL 05-23-2013 11:34 AM

My Dad has sleep apnea too. He has the CPAP Machine and it works well for him. He gets a good night sleep.

5kgLifter 05-23-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxonViolence (Post 366723)
I had Apnea.

I found that I couldn't wear the machines.

As soon as I would fall asleep, I would unconsciously strip the gear off my head.

Some reports claim that playing the "Didgeridoo"—a Traditional Aboriginal wind instrument helps.

Twenty minutes daily seems sufficient.

I enjoyed "Playing" mine. I never mastered "Circular Breathing" or got anything but varying pitched Drones...

But I did it for about an hour daily, for about six months.

My Apnea vanished.

I get a good solid six hours or more of sleep each night and I sometimes sleep on my back for 20-30 minutes—and that is with a 26 pound Rat Terrier that climbs in and out of the bed—using me as a stepping stone—a dozen times or more nightly.

I got away from playing my Didgeridoo, but though its been a couple years since I played it regularly, the good results remain.

{I keep meaning to start regular Practice again...}

Try it In Addition to, Not Instead of Conventional Remedies...

And your results may not be as rewarding as mine.

Modern Didgeridoos - For Sleep Apnea - The Didgeridoo Store

Playing a Didgeridoo (David Hudson) - YouTube

Saxon Violence

Intriguing, any idea as to why and how it works? Is it a case of circular breathing being the helpful element, as with bagpipes and such?

tracker 05-23-2013 03:08 PM

That is very interesting. I have never heard of playing the didgeridoos. But I am intrigued to learn more to help my dad out.

SaxonViolence 05-23-2013 03:57 PM

I think the theory is that it strengthens muscles that hold the throat open during Breathing.

Circular Breathing With other instruments would probably be good too...

But the Didgeridoo is a Large Volume Instrument—about a 2" Bore, and the only closure or constrictions are what you supply Glotally or with the Mouth, Tongue and Lips.

But that's surmise...

Saxon Violence

Jesda 05-23-2013 04:28 PM

I have no experience with sleep apnea but I do know that it can cause many health issues such as high bp and heart issues.