Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

All I know is xfit girls are HOT.

Whether or not you or me looks at it the same, if someone has fun doing Crossfit, I see no reason to put them down.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Overpriced, (often) arbitrary activity and (usually) incomplete/insufficient training.

But then, compared to most gym PTs, it might be a better deal, all in all. Now I think about it. They tend to offer all of the above problems, only without the camaraderie, etc.

And agreed - lifting makes for hawter women, and this cannot be a bad thing.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

What's wrong with crossfit? As a training system, not much, really, as long as you realize what it is meant for.

It appears to me that crossfit style training will make you a jack of all trades and a pretty good one at that. But it is not meant to be the system for choice if, let's say sprinting is your sole focus, or powerlifting is your sole focus. If you want to focus on any one aspect of training or a single specific sport, then thats great, go for it. That doesnt mean anything is wrong with crossfit as a training system, it just means that crossfit is the wrong choice for you.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #25
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Yesterday I turned on the telly and they were broadcasting the x-fit games from denmark.

They were doing some sort of team medly, first a guy climbed a rope twice, then did a couple of squat cleans with 220, then 2 more climbs and some more squat cleans. Then a chick took his place and did the same. They did this for about 10 minutes, and I can tell you that there is absolutely no entertainment value in this sport. Atleast not by my standard, there were 10 or so people doing this at the same time and this most only be fun to watch by their team-mates or family.

So after the 3'rd guy fell backwards during his clean atempt, i switched channel and figured that there actually is something wrong after all =)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
They did this for about 10 minutes, and I can tell you that there is absolutely no entertainment value in this sport.
I think the same when I'm watching powerlifting

I love doing it, but unless I have some connection to the people involved, watching it bores the pants off me.

Gymnastics or boxing, on the other hand, I could watch for hours.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I don't really have any problems with it. I hate the fact that my mom pays $125 a month to do it, but for some reason that's the only way she could do it. She likes the atmosphere I guess. She looks way better(she's lost a ton of weight) since she started last May. It seems to give her a spark of happiness, but that's about all that seems to, and it wasn't always this way. Crossfit has become her church, if you will. I've met some of her girl friends from down there, and good God, they are all like that. "Can't wait to go to the box and do our WOD. 30 burpee pull ups?! I can't wait! I'm going to wear my "kick ass" socks"(or whatever they said)...

That said, in strength, we have the same thing. "Max effort bench...something..." I think a lot of it is a matter of perspective. I enjoy moving things that are heavy, and they enjoy whatever it is they do. I can't understand, and they don't seem to understand. I went on a date with a girl who went on and on about Crossfit until after about 30 minutes she finally said all she had to say about it. Her whole summer was scheduled around Crossfit. That seemed odd at first, but I guarantee most of us plan our schedules according to our training and meets that are coming up. Different perspective yet again, I guess.

The biggest thing that pisses me off though is, my mom and those who I've spent brief periods of time with, all tell me that doing Crossfit will make me a better powerlifter. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to mock the idea, but I haven't read anything about Stan Efferding doing 50 burpees and an AMRAP of squats at 50% to get to that 850+ raw squat. However, they insist. I try to explain, but they still insist. On that same note, I recall hearing a few times(not from those I have actually met who do Crossfit) that they have some slogan like "We can't do what you do, but you can't do what we can do". Yeah, that's all good and probably true, but who cares? We do different things.

The cult mentality will go anywhere with anything. We've got it in powerlifting. I'm sure it's in other forms of strength sports. I'm sure even some chefs worship other chefs and their style of preparing meals. You'll get that with anything in life. Overall, there's nothing wrong with it- the problem with it, and everything else in this world, is we are human.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Oly Moves for time and Speed... DUMB.. Thats a huge part of crossfit.. Look at the games.. They run, jump swing like monkeys. Then run over to a bar and do an Oly move as fast as they can...Also Oly Athletes train years to get there form down. Many Crossfit trainers take a 2 day class for $1000 to be certified in Crossfit.Also not to be all high and mighty.. Every guy/girl I know personal who does crossfit... I can run faster, jump higher, deadlift and squat more...What am I doing so wrong to make Crossfit better then what I do.
I'd like to add some more...yes Crossfit has some good looking chicks... But Crossfit attacks young athletic people. We have millions of hot chicks before Crossfit came around. Right now it's just the cool thing to do...I like that Crossfit gets more people into Oly moves and women not afraid to actual lift weights... That is good... BUT the way they go about it is wrong most of the time...I know many Crossfitters and every single one has been injuried and a few been pretty bad. Dislocated Shoulders, broken Wrist, Lower back issues.... Many of these people are fit now, but what happens when they get older. When all these injuries add up over time. While I'll still be lifting heavy into my old age.. How will they be dealing with all those old injuries and scar tissue to work around?

So many of these HOT CROSSFIT CHICKS.. might be hot now.. But when they are 40 and can't lift still from old crossfit injuries.. They will become fat and way out of shape...Lifting weights to get stronger and healther is a life... not a Hobby. So lift and train for better life now and later..

Don't drink the Cool-aid

Last edited by Ramrod; 05-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I know many Powerlifters and every single one has been injuried and a few been pretty bad. Dislocated Shoulders, broken Wrist, Lower back issues.... Many of these people are fit now, but what happens when they get older. When all these injuries add up over time. While I'll still be lifting heavy into my old age.. How will they be dealing with all those old injuries and scar tissue to work around?

So many of these HOT Powerlifting CHICKS.. might be hot now.. But when they are 40 and can't lift still from old Powerlifting injuries.. They will become fat and way out of shape...
I only changed one word above, yet it still makes sense some how.
See what I did there?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I only changed one word above, yet it still makes sense some how.
See what I did there?
I see it, but it doesn't make it true..

Hot Powerlifting Chicks... HaHa... Ya Powerlifting is known for that..

The Crossfitters I know have only been really doing it for a few years if that. I have been lifting for at least 13yrs. I can easily count all the times I have been hurt liftings the way I have on one hand in the last 13yrs. They have more injuries in a shorter amount of time. It's a Fact.. Plus how many 40 something Crossfit competitors do you see?
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote