Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor
Default Pregnant lady fitness

We just found out that my wife is 6 weeks along and she is out of shape. I am not saying this to be an ass, this is not a she needs to lose weight thing. I have been told that being in shape helps everything from aches to labor to recovery afterwards. If anyone knows some exercises that will help and which ones are and aren't safe please let me know.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
RGRthat
Brawn

RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

We just got our first picture today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130502_0002.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	8734  
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

This could be a complex issue, if she's out of shape since there are so many things that can crop up during pregnancy. A slow start would be best.

Maybe a mother and toddler forum may be able to advise, at least with initial advice. One thing would be to get started as soon as possible though.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Congrats !!!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRthat View Post
We just found out that my wife is 6 weeks along and she is out of shape. I am not saying this to be an ass, this is not a she needs to lose weight thing. I have been told that being in shape helps everything from aches to labor to recovery afterwards. If anyone knows some exercises that will help and which ones are and aren't safe please let me know.
First off, congrats.

Exercise helped my wife a lot. She lifted and did light cardio (walking) during her first pregnancy but did not during her second. The first birth went more smoothly.

The second birth she constantly battled pregnancy high blood pressure, and it got so high that we can to do an emergency C-section.

So yes, we would say there are definitely benefits to moderate resistance training and mild cardio. I wouldn't advise anything crazy. Light work can go a long way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

First of all, congrats!! Your first??

I posted the same question a while ago - I'll see if I can find it. I think it was called "Working Out While Pregnant".

Basically, the consensus was:

1. Get doctor's advice
2. Yoga - make sure the trainer is certified/qualified in dealing with pregnant women.
3. Don't do anything radical - as BTB said walking and light weights.
4. There are some exercises/positions that are not appropriate for pregnant women i.e. flat bench - cuts off circulation/oxygen to the uterus.
5. Her joint flexibility will increase due to hormonal changes preparing her body for birth. So don't over do it and get injured.
6. Research for yourselves and take the slow gradual approach.

If I remember any more - I'll let you know.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
RGRthat
Brawn

Well thank you everyone. I am excited and scared at the same time.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
hobbz
New Brawn
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

hobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good posts

Congrats to you both. Parenting is such a joy.
My wife walked everyday for all 3 of her births. She worked out before she got pregnant, but it really does help with the delivery if you have some sort of exercise, even if it is only walking. Have her ask her doc what sort of exercises that she may recommend doing.
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

don't have any advice, just want to congratulate you, man. children are a lot of work, but they're a blessing
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
RGRthat
Brawn

This is going to be complicated considering we are both still in college but we figure it's better to be poor now than poor later. Should be a lot of fun, thanks for your excitement everyone
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225