Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pregnant lady fitness (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13539)

RGRthat 05-02-2013 11:15 AM

Pregnant lady fitness

We just found out that my wife is 6 weeks along and she is out of shape. I am not saying this to be an ass, this is not a she needs to lose weight thing. I have been told that being in shape helps everything from aches to labor to recovery afterwards. If anyone knows some exercises that will help and which ones are and aren't safe please let me know.

RGRthat 05-02-2013 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We just got our first picture today

5kgLifter 05-02-2013 11:22 AM

This could be a complex issue, if she's out of shape since there are so many things that can crop up during pregnancy. A slow start would be best.

Maybe a mother and toddler forum may be able to advise, at least with initial advice. One thing would be to get started as soon as possible though.

SCStrong 05-02-2013 11:45 AM

Congrats !!!

BendtheBar 05-02-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRthat (Post 358124)
We just found out that my wife is 6 weeks along and she is out of shape. I am not saying this to be an ass, this is not a she needs to lose weight thing. I have been told that being in shape helps everything from aches to labor to recovery afterwards. If anyone knows some exercises that will help and which ones are and aren't safe please let me know.

First off, congrats.

Exercise helped my wife a lot. She lifted and did light cardio (walking) during her first pregnancy but did not during her second. The first birth went more smoothly.

The second birth she constantly battled pregnancy high blood pressure, and it got so high that we can to do an emergency C-section.

So yes, we would say there are definitely benefits to moderate resistance training and mild cardio. I wouldn't advise anything crazy. Light work can go a long way.

dossas 05-03-2013 06:55 AM

First of all, congrats!! Your first??

I posted the same question a while ago - I'll see if I can find it. I think it was called "Working Out While Pregnant".

Basically, the consensus was:

1. Get doctor's advice
2. Yoga - make sure the trainer is certified/qualified in dealing with pregnant women.
3. Don't do anything radical - as BTB said walking and light weights.
4. There are some exercises/positions that are not appropriate for pregnant women i.e. flat bench - cuts off circulation/oxygen to the uterus.
5. Her joint flexibility will increase due to hormonal changes preparing her body for birth. So don't over do it and get injured.
6. Research for yourselves and take the slow gradual approach.

If I remember any more - I'll let you know.

RGRthat 05-03-2013 01:41 PM

Well thank you everyone. I am excited and scared at the same time.

hobbz 05-03-2013 09:47 PM

Congrats to you both. Parenting is such a joy.
My wife walked everyday for all 3 of her births. She worked out before she got pregnant, but it really does help with the delivery if you have some sort of exercise, even if it is only walking. Have her ask her doc what sort of exercises that she may recommend doing.

SecondsOut 05-03-2013 10:30 PM

don't have any advice, just want to congratulate you, man. children are a lot of work, but they're a blessing

RGRthat 05-04-2013 01:42 PM

This is going to be complicated considering we are both still in college but we figure it's better to be poor now than poor later. Should be a lot of fun, thanks for your excitement everyone