Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool "Pure Rest-Pause" and Watered Down Versions

Some people lift until they can't do any more...

Set down the weight and breathe deeply for 20-30 seconds, pick up the weight and force out 2 or 3 more reps...

And call it "Rest-Pause".

A second version is to have someone strip some weight off when you can't do any more—Pause—Continue.

Some people use sets of 3—with or without weight reductions—with pauses between.

All that is well and good, if it works for you...

But it is not "Real" Rest-Pause.

Real Rest-Pause is putting your best Triple weight on the Bar.

Do One Rep...

Rack the Bar and Pause 20-30 seconds...

Do another Rep...

Rack the Bar and Pause for 20-30 Seconds...

Repeat until Failure or near Failure.

Folk's performance differs.

Generally you'll get 7 to 12 reps the first day...

If you progress from a max of 7 Reps to a max of 12 reps—you will be considerably stronger.

{12 is generally the target Rep, so it is time to add a bit of weight...}

This only seems to work really well for me on the Bench Press.

It came to me one day, that 20 Rep Squats are a form of Rest-Pause—without the re-racking each Rep.

One can't use this method for long periods of time, but it is a "Plateau-Breaker".

{The Pauses call for a bit of discretion. 20 seconds may be the scheduled Pause—but late in the set, I may "Cheat" and allow 30-45 seconds if I think that it will get me another Rep.}

Has anyone used this Training Method?

Why is the Pure Form so much less common, or utilized than the Bastard Versions?

Comments?

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
But it is not "Real" Rest-Pause.

Real Rest-Pause is putting your best Triple weight on the Bar.

Do One Rep...

Rack the Bar and Pause 20-30 seconds...

Do another Rep...
That's Max-Stim training with a non-intuitive rest period, or forced rest periods.

Can I ask why the need to force a hard definition of rest pause? Shouldn't rest on big compound movements be dictated instinctually, so you maximize form and reduce injury risk?

My rest pause systems varies the rest from 30 seconds to even beyond one minute for heavier exercises, and I assure you they are extremely effective and challenging.

Who determines the definitions? What point does it serve to not leave a broader scope for these definitions?

I've been in this game a long time and have seen a hundred ways of doing rest pause work, giant sets, etc. Wouldn't a broader definition be more appropriate?

Are we trying to educate folks and open doors, or force them into a narrow corridor because of a definition?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

It's not so much that one version is the correct one and the others are incorrect or watered down versions, it's more a case of word usage:

If someone pauses and then continues, they may well quite rightly call it Rest-Pause which to all intents and purposes it is; it may well be that one version was logged, by a trainee, and others began to follow the same style of set-up calling it Rest-Pause as they went along which would eventually see it named the same way as the inital traineee did...that's how set-ups and training styles originate.

There are so many ways to Rest-Pause a set but Rest-Pause is just an all-encompassing term, none of the set-ups, no matter how many there are, are either right or wrong, they're simply named appropriately.

Eventually, it may be that people will use other additional words to distinguish one style from the other such as with DLs, of which there are many variations, none of which are wrong; sometimes, it's just a matter of terminology.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

This reads like a cut and paste job. Source?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor

Can't remember where I first read of it...

I think it was in an article about The Barbarian Brothers.

Its just the one Rep and Pause seemed very effective and I though folks were being cheated a bit by always being presented with what I perceived of as Lesser Variations.

The Gym where I trained at, we trained every set to Failure (8-15 reps x 2 or at most 3 sets) and accepted that unless we were one of the gifted few, we would run into a brick wall about six months into training and make only very occasional gains in Strength thereafter...

Despite literally turning each session into a Torture Session.

Pure Rest Pausealong with 20 Rep Squats—was one of those Magic Exercises that could actually add 20-30 pounds to One's Bench (until one hit the Inevitable Plateau)...

Magic Exercises are so Rare and Precious that they Deserve to be in a Category all by themselves—not lumped into a hodge-podge of exercises that may be effective, but are not Magical.

Didn't mean to be argumentative.

It's just that when folks lay out "Rest-Pause" strategies, the Purest one seems to inevitably be the one they neglect to mention...

Saxon Violence

Last edited by SaxonViolence; 04-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Can't remember where I first read of it...

I think it was in an article about The Barbarian Brothers.

Its just the one Rep and Pause seemed very effective and I though folks were being cheated a bit by always being presented with what I perceived of as Lesser Variations.

The Gym where I trained at, we trained every set to Failure (8-15 reps x 2 or at most 3 sets) and accepted that unless we were one of the gifted few, we would run into a brick wall about six months into training and make only very occasional gains in Strength thereafter...

Despite literally turning each session into a Torture Session.

Pure Rest Pausealong with 20 Rep Squats—was one of those Magic Exercises that could actually add 20-30 pounds to One's Bench (until one hit the Inevitable Plateau)...

Magic Exercises are so Rare and Precious that they Deserve to be in a Category all by themselves—not lumped into a hodge-podge of exercises that may be effective, but are not Magical.

Didn't mean to be argumentative.

It's just that when folks lay out "Rest-Pause" strategies, the Purest one seems to inevitably be the one they neglect to mention...

Saxon Violence
Well, say for example, a person rests and pauses briefly during a set, for whatever reason, and they have never heard of the rest-pause system you just described as a "rare and precious exercise not to be lumped with a hodge-podge of "ineffective" exercises" what do you suggest they do?

They have every right to call it Rest-Pause which is exactly what it is. They may be new to working out or just have never come across that training protocol, it is possible with all the various protocols out there.

I rest and pause briefly, to get my set done, due to a medical condition which halts me during certain exercises, so I log it as Rest-Pause, most, if not all on the forum, know exactly what I mean; it's not an issue, however, when things like this become an issue, it does nothing but drive people away from either sites/forums such as this or worse still, away from their training which was progressing fine until they were informed they were using the wrong wording and that their's is not the magic exercise and please don't lump it in with the percious exercise in future kind of thing.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

doggcrapp
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Try doing a set of 10x10 on squats with 50% of your max, using 90 seconds between rests. See if you feel that is rest-pause.

Point being...tossing our generalities for every exercise doesn't work, be it rest periods or rep ranges. Each exercise is unique. I can recover from a set of intense calf raises or tricep extensions in 20-30 seconds and start another one without it feeling much like rest-pause. On the other hand, doing a 10x10 on squats and resting 90 seconds, you will start to see Jesus after set 3 because you can't recover.

The point of rest-pause training is to tax a muscle again before it has fully recovered, relative to how much it can recover at any given point in time during a workout. Into this mix you must add the unique demands of exercises, as well as the risk/reward that comes from pushing shorter rest periods on inherently troublesome exercises.

Rules, workouts and eating plans are only starting points. If they are not customized to a lifter, an exercise, etc, then it's foolish. I know of no top level bodybuilders or powerlifters who would stick to rules rather than adapt them to individual body needs and exercise demands.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Ramrod
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

If your hitting a wall every 6 months... All it takes is switching days around, replacing exercises with another, Drop Sets, Super Sets, Giant Sets, Rest/Pause, FST-7 Sets. 5/3/1, 5x5, 10x10, burnouts and so on...

Keep a log of what you are doing everyday... Then when you notice a slow down in growth. Review your log and make changes... 99% of the time nothing drastic is needed..
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Pure? Peary Rader was writing about "rest-pause" way before the Barbarian Brothers. Somebody else was doing it way before Peary. Who's to say what the "pure form" is?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote