Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool "Pure Rest-Pause" and Watered Down Versions

Some people lift until they can't do any more...

Set down the weight and breathe deeply for 20-30 seconds, pick up the weight and force out 2 or 3 more reps...

And call it "Rest-Pause".

A second version is to have someone strip some weight off when you can't do any more—Pause—Continue.

Some people use sets of 3—with or without weight reductions—with pauses between.

All that is well and good, if it works for you...

But it is not "Real" Rest-Pause.

Real Rest-Pause is putting your best Triple weight on the Bar.

Do One Rep...

Rack the Bar and Pause 20-30 seconds...

Do another Rep...

Rack the Bar and Pause for 20-30 Seconds...

Repeat until Failure or near Failure.

Folk's performance differs.

Generally you'll get 7 to 12 reps the first day...

If you progress from a max of 7 Reps to a max of 12 reps—you will be considerably stronger.

{12 is generally the target Rep, so it is time to add a bit of weight...}

This only seems to work really well for me on the Bench Press.

It came to me one day, that 20 Rep Squats are a form of Rest-Pause—without the re-racking each Rep.

One can't use this method for long periods of time, but it is a "Plateau-Breaker".

{The Pauses call for a bit of discretion. 20 seconds may be the scheduled Pause—but late in the set, I may "Cheat" and allow 30-45 seconds if I think that it will get me another Rep.}

Has anyone used this Training Method?

Why is the Pure Form so much less common, or utilized than the Bastard Versions?

Comments?

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links