Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default Benefits of Vitamin C to athletes

Benefits of Vitamin C to athletes

Of particular interest to us as hard training athletes is Vitamin C's role as one of the body's most important anti-oxidants. It protects the body from damage by free radicals and reactive oxygen species that we generate, especially during intense physical exercise.

For hard training athletes, Vitamin C plays an invaluable role in injury prevention and recovery as it is required for the synthesis of collagen, an important structural component of tendons & ligaments.

Vitamin C is also vital for energy production as it is required for the synthesis of carnitine, the amino acid, which is essential for the transport of fatty acids to the cells mitochondria ("engine" of the cell), for conversion to energy.

Of interest to bodybuilders should be Vitamin C's role in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), which improves mental focus and training intensity as well as its documented role in suppressing the body's production of the catabolic (muscle wasting) hormone cortisol.

Symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency include frequent colds and infections, bleeding or receding gums, nose bleeds, easy bruising, slow wound healing and lack of energy.

Vitamin C for reduced Muscle Soreness
A recent scientific study examined if high-dose vitamin C supplementation before and after intense exercise could reduce oxidative stress and muscle soreness. Researchers randomly assigned healthy men to either a placebo (fake supplement) or vitamin C (3 000 mg per day) treatment group.

Test subjects supplemented for two weeks prior to and four days after performing a high intensity exercise session (multiple eccentric elbow extensions). Whilst muscle soreness increased in both groups, there was significantly reduced muscle soreness in the vitamin C group. Furthermore, vitamin C supplementation demonstrated reduced muscle damage after exercise.

This study clearly suggests that high-dose vitamin C supplementation may be of benefit to serious athletes looking to reduce muscle damage and post training muscle soreness, not forgetting the solid scientific evidence that exists supporting vitamin C supplementations benefits in reducing the common cold and upper respiratory tract infections in physically active individuals.

Vitamin C for Fat Loss
Recently researchers at Arizona State University conducted a study to evaluate the impact of vitamin C status on fat burning during exercise. The results of this study indicated that individuals with marginal vitamin C status burned 25 percent less fat per kilogram bodyweight during a 60-minute treadmill walk as compared to individuals with adequate vitamin C status. Furthermore, fat burning during exercise in the individuals with marginal vitamin c status was enhanced when their blood vitamin C concentrations were improved. The authors concluded, "These preliminary results show that low vitamin C status may reduce fat oxidation [burning] during submaximal exercise and that reduced fat oxidation during exercise was related to fatigue. It's possible that increased fatigue and less reliance on fat as a fuel during activity may influence eventual weight gain. Thus, in addition to emphasizing calorie control and physical activity, attention to specific diet components such as vitamin C may be necessary for effective weight management."
Cutting Edge Research Tip
Considering our modern day diets and based upon our understanding of the biological importance of Vitamin C, an athletes increased requirements for this important anti-oxidant and recent research highlighting additional benefits, I highly recommend that any athlete serious about his/her health, performance and physique look at consuming 1 to 2 of Muscle Science's 1 000 mg Opti-C caplets per day.

References:
1. Hemila H. Vitamin C supplementation and respiratory infections: a systematic review. Mil Med, 2004 Nov;169(11):920-5. Review.
2. Bryer SC, Goldfarb AH. Effect of high dose vitamin C supplementation on muscle soreness, damage, function, and oxidative stress to eccentric exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab, 2006 Jun;16(3):270-80.
3. Johnston C et al. Marginal vitamin C status is associated with reduced fat oxidation during submaximal exercise in young adults. Nutr Metab (Lond), 2006 Aug 31;3:35.

Muscle Science | Benefits of Vitamin C to athletes | Sports Nutrition Supplements for rugby, cycling, bodybuilding and fitness
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I'm not convinced that vitamin C supplementation does anything much. I've linked this article before, but it's really worth a look:

Sweat Science Does vitamin C block gains from training?

Heresy, I know

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I'm not convinced that vitamin C supplementation does anything much. I've linked this article before, but it's really worth a look:

Sweat Science Does vitamin C block gains from training?

Heresy, I know
Yeah, I've read before that it's not much use in terms of cold either; I think this comes down to an overall good intake, varied, of vitamins and minerals as opposed to one singular vitamin.

I also find it very odd that with all this talk of vitamin C, that few if any seem to know that kiwi fruits have more vitamin C pound for pound than oranges do...all this research, taking vitamin C, eating oranges and yet overlooking the most obviously higher intake of vitamin C available in the fruit world. Why would someone eat an orange for vitamin C purposes when it's clear that kiwi's will do a better job at providing it, it baffles me.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
mudrunner
Brawn
Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19 Points: 1,240, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

mudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good postsmudrunner has made some good posts

Nice article big swede.I take vitamin C daily, just as an extra measure to not get sick with all the crap that seems to go around.
mudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
hercules455
Brawn
Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9 Points: 451, Level: 9
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 14
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT!
Fav Supp: AAEFX KOTIC
hercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributorhercules455 is a consistent contributor

I think its good to take post workout to boost the immune system and relieve oxidative stress. I usually take 1000mg post workout.
hercules455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
justme
Banned
Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme justme

Vitamin C intake and lipid profiles of comp... [Int J Sport Nutr. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
JackQ1000
New Brawn
Points: 257, Level: 5 Points: 257, Level: 5 Points: 257, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

JackQ1000 is off to a good startJackQ1000 is off to a good startJackQ1000 is off to a good start

Good post. I have been taking vitamin C all winter long, not for bodybuilding but as a measure to protect myself from bad colds and such.
JackQ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackQ1000 View Post
Good post. I have been taking vitamin C all winter long, not for bodybuilding but as a measure to protect myself from bad colds and such.
Good luck with that.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
hobbz
New Brawn
Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2 Points: 149, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

hobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good postshobbz has made some good posts

I take a vitamin C pill everyday. I do not tend to get too much orange juice or citrus into my diet so that is why I do it. I have done some reading on the importance of vitamin C, so I make sure to take it daily.
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

only reason i know oranges contain antioxidants is because of IWILL's article on antioxidants. IWILL writes good articles on nutrition for this site, i highly suggest checking them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Good luck with that.
hah...i notice you have a finely tuned bullshit meter. i don't trust anyone who doesn't have one
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote