Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shin Splints? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13438)

Shorts 04-25-2013 02:08 PM

Shin Splints?

So I don't know if I am just getting old or there is a new ailment popping up from outside activities but the last 3 weeks I have started to have shin splints really hindering my lower body workouts (squats mostly).

I play softball twice a week, along with walking the dogs daily, but this isn't any more extreme (less actually) than what I was doing before they started bothering me. Has anyone else had experience with treating shin splints and maintaining their training?

Open to all ideas, but I have started to incorporate rolling my shins at night again to hopefully alleviate some of the pain.

5kgLifter 04-25-2013 03:38 PM

There's an ironman athlete that does the following for his shin splints and hasn't suffered them since:

Toe towel rolls: grip a towel, edge of it, between the toes and keep pulling the towel back via the toe grip, then release and regrip further along, repeat until you reach the end of the towel; basically scrunching it up as you go along. Do twice, I think, for each foot.

Anterior raises: Either with a mini-weightload of some sort, or a KB etc, placed over the top of the foot, raise the foot up toward the shin, to exercise the anterior calf muscles. I normally, place the KB handle just behind the toes, on top of the foot, as long as there is something soft directly beneath the handle...and the foot should be raised off the floor to begin, I almost forgot to mention that. Do a couple of sets of 15-20 reps.

Build-up distances gradually: When starting something new, or restarting it, always build it up over time and don't go straight into a 1hr session etc.

I'm not sure if there was something else he did, but I can check, and if that first descrip doesn't help with the exercise, I'll try to find something that does.

5kgLifter 04-25-2013 03:45 PM

Foot Exercises - Strengthening with the Towel Curl

That may work as a better explanation.

big_swede 04-25-2013 04:43 PM

Have the same thing, I feel relief from working my chins - both soft and hard parts - with something hard, like the back end of a screwdriver. First I cover them in liniment, then get to work for 2-5 mins. Hurts like hell in the beginning but one gets used to it pretty fast, and its instant relief =)

Shorts 04-26-2013 07:03 AM

Sweded I have been doing that right now it seems to be helping a little bit. I will admit though, I am literally in tears when I start and that is with barely putting any pressure on.

Thanks for the tips 5kg, I am going to start working those in and see how they help. Appreciate the tips!

1morerep 04-26-2013 08:05 AM

The chin splint may be cause the walk and the run at the softball field...not the squats. I have them every time we go for a jog...and believed or not the walk is also hard on your knees. We have a lot of people in the Army that can't walk or run due to long years of abuse...(ruck march, run every other day, etc). Try to stretch before and after any activity and change your tennis shoes. That may work. I buy running shoes (clearance) every 2 month just to have enough bounce and support on my feet. Also when you buy shoes, match your foot arch with the shoe. (flat feet, medium arch, etc)

hercules455 04-29-2013 08:13 PM

I would rest the until they go away. I had them bad a few years ago thats the only think that really worked.

Some things you can do to help keep them from returning
1. Go to a shoe store, usually a runners specialty shop, that can watch you walk and run and they have ways to fit you for the proper shoe. It really helped me even though it was pricey. Shoes can make the world of difference.
2. Roll your shins
3. Stretch them good
4. Where shin splint braces if you feel them coming back.

schneppy07 05-09-2013 05:05 PM

1. new shoes
2. ice bath
3. rest

These three always worked for me when I ran a lot. I would take 1 gallon bags of ice almost fill them 3/4 of the way with ice then I would put salt in the bag to. Then I would suran wrap them to my shins for 20mn. Make sure you use crushed ice. Or an ice bath with jets works good to but only trainers really can have access to those.