Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Teens, Abs and OCD (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13436)

BendtheBar 04-25-2013 01:48 PM

Teens, Abs and OCD

We all know that teens are currently obsessed with abs. This is a quote from one teen who suffered depression because of it, and went to extremes.

Quote:

When I was around 15-16, I went through a serious bout of depression. I dropped some serious weight and took my already skinny frame down to around 115-120 pounds at 6 feet tall. I had a pulse, but I wasn’t living, I was merely existing and completely numb to any kind of emotion. I ended up being hospitalized due to malnutrition and an electrolyte imbalance.

5kgLifter 04-25-2013 01:52 PM

119 lbs at 5' 2.5" for me (female) is low...so, these male 120 lbers really astound me; let's hope he's working out properly now and has his head straight.

BendtheBar 04-25-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 355069)
119 lbs at 5' 2.5" for me (female) is low...so, these male 120 lbers really astound me; let's hope he's working out properly now and has his head straight.

He is. I have his transformation story nearly ready.

Hunterace 04-25-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 355076)
He is. I have his transformation story nearly ready.

So glad you could help yet another person btb!!!

BendtheBar 04-25-2013 02:23 PM

FYI, his words after this incident:

Quote:

In the beginning I was not eating enough food, and once I got some momentum going, I was eating TOO MUCH food. I had to learn that gaining muscle takes time, and you can’t FORCE it to happen any faster by shoveling outrageous amounts of food down your throat.
Quote:

Eat clean, but eat enough. Many times I felt like I was eating a lot of food simply because I was eating frequently, but then when I would calculate it out and it was not nearly enough to support my training.
Quote:

You have to be willing to lose a little bit of definition temporarily when trying to gain muscle mass. It can be hard to transition into a “bulking” phase when you have a low body fat percentage, because some fat gain is inevitable, but it is easy to strip off the fat if you don’t let it get too bad. Every gym has these people. People that look EXACTLY the same year round because they’re afraid to put on a little temporary fluff. People also try to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but unless you are a rank beginner or have the aid of anabolic steroids, this will simply not happen under normal circumstances. Figure out whether you want to gain muscle, lose fat, or maintain and plan accordingly, but you can only do one at a time without spinning your wheels. Just some food for thought: Muscle takes years to build, and fat takes only weeks to lose.

SecondsOut 04-25-2013 03:22 PM

<~~~ fellow skinny guy who was in a similar position. sounds like he has the right outlook. i hope if he's not a MaB'er that he'll start posting here. seems like there have been quite a few new skinny guys here in the past few weeks who are trying to "lean bulk" and are desperately afraid of gaining fat. seems like this guy would be a great resource.

EliteDreams 04-25-2013 05:32 PM

Really cool.

Soldier 04-25-2013 08:48 PM

Last time I was 115-120lb I was in 4th grade. This trend of weakness and being overly skinny is annoying and I hope all the skinny kids with compression shirts go away very soon.

Flat bill caps too. Stupid.

But maybe I'm just getting old.

Soldier 04-25-2013 08:49 PM

By the way, what I said is not meant to be a jab at this perticular person. I know how tough it can be to deal with the pressure of different trends.

Dray 04-25-2013 08:59 PM

I have struggled with this one, until very recently really.

Guess it might have something to do with upbringing as well as possibly societal influences (?), plus well, my dad was always a bit on the underweight side. Tall and skinny, like I've been for almost ever.

Anyway, great story - would like to hear the rest of it.

Hm. Coming from "skinnyfat" is a bit different, of course (which is where I was at). What initially motivated *me* was shedding the bit of extra fat I had finally gained. Amusing, yeah, but that's what got me into the gym to start with. Random luck brought me over to the lifting side.