Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I'd like to say I'd got over my fear of getting fat but I haven't.
I prefer to just ignore it and have faith that I won't.
Its not enough to stop me working out, but its there in the background, and defiantly has an impact on my motivation.

Though with me, my main concern is my modeling jobs. I'm building my own music studio in an attempts to per sue a career of a music producer once I move back to London.
Although I know I wont get really fat by doing a bulk, I fear the fat I do gain will show on my face, and if its a noticeable change it could lose me those jobs, which means no money for equiptment.
I wish I was 7 or 8% bf to start with, so that when I bulk up the fat I gain wont go much over 10%, thus no fear of me losing my job. But at 12 to 14% already, from other transformations I've looked at I'll probably go up by 2 or 3 percentages and end up at 16-18%. Which is likely to lose me any potential shoots.
Don't really care too much about fat gain anywhere else, I can accept that, its just my face.

However, I'm just going to hope for the best with it, and continue to get stronger.

I know it must be annoying to have me going on about cutting and not getting fat all the time, and allot of you probably hate me for doing so, but its just because I have allot at stake.
I believe you, and try to trust the process, but part of me is still really worried.
As I said though, thankfully this hasn't stopped me from hitting the weights 4 times a week.
I feel I've defiantly got over it somewhat anyway.

Well done to him.

great to know that someone who's got to such a low point can bring it back like that.
I hope he joins MAB, would be interesting to hear more from him and what he's been through.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 04-26-2013 at 06:54 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
RGRthat
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

I hate to see kids like that. It is really sad that they do that to their own body because they are so scared of weighing more than me in 5th grade. I am curious as to how that would transfer into a healthy lifestyle though. A lot of people don't have the discipline to eat healthy and workout while these kids just seem to have bad information. Imagine how much disciple it takes to eat 1000 cal/day or less. Throw these kids on a good protien heavy diet and get them in the gym and they could use that to be jacked or ripped or whatever they want.
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It's epidemic, and not just with teens, it's the adults too. Cannot count the amount of times I've heard a full-grown man say, "That kid/guy must be strong and athletic, look at his 6-pack." Abs have apparently become the new indicator of strength and athleticism.

Related to this, when people see me or my son pushing sleds, flipping tires, tossing med balls, carrying odd object, they automatically assume we do CrossFit. It's not worth my time to explain to them that these exercises were around before even the barbell was invented.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRthat View Post
I Imagine how much disciple it takes to eat 1000 cal/day or less. Throw these kids on a good protien heavy diet and get them in the gym and they could use that to be jacked or ripped or whatever they want.

a slightly different perspective
when I was in college, eating 1000 cal a day was easy, with classes and exams and working part time to pay bills, didn't leave a lot of time for quality eating. (partying didn't help either )

I was really skinny in college, but not by intention.
eating a cereal bar+coffee for breakfast, then a pizza for lunch, then pot noodle for a snack before work, then a tea a few slices of bread for bread peanut butter for dinner. I had abs but I was in bad shape.

I think a lot of young people are skinny

it can be easy to be skinny when its all you know, and it can be normal in particular scene. (unfortunately)
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

To be honest, every guy I know my age has weighs around 120 to 135 pounds.
At school in the changing rooms, everyone looked the same as me to be honest.

Before I started, I certainly wasn't an unhealthy person.
I did loads of sports, had 3 pretty large meals a day including snacks in between.
More or less all the meals I ate were really heathy too, I'm half Spanish, my family are from the Canary Islands. My parents only cook Spanish food really. I haven't eaten anything processed in my life.
My meals re the same now, just extra.

Even though I ate quite allot, I'm still skinny.
I have a friend who weighs around 110 pounds. He eats complete crap, his diet just consists of sweets and cereal on the whole. I tried to get him to start weight lifting with me, and starting a new diet but when we tried it, he just couldn't cope with the food.
He has allot of problems from ex ma to jaundice too, and its all down to his diet.

What I'm getting at is that I think its often a misconception, that if your skinny, you eat like a magpie and live an unhealthy lifestyle.

My opinion as far as abs go is that they're the icing on the cake.
I'm much more interested is getting a huge back and massive shoulders, than I am about abs.
I've started to care less and less about abs as I've gone on to be honest.

Abs have been popularized by the media, particularly in film. I guess guys see all the girls drooling over ripped actors, and want to replicate that.
Its understandable really if your only lifting to look good. You see women craving abs, so you do your best to appeal to them by getting a ripped six pack yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
To be honest, every guy I know my age has weighs around 120 to 135 pounds.
At school in the changing rooms, everyone looked the same as me to be honest.

Before I started, I certainly wasn't an unhealthy person.
I did loads of sports, had 3 pretty large meals a day including snacks in between.
More or less all the meals I ate were really heathy too, I'm half Spanish, my family are from the Canary Islands. My parents only cook Spanish food really. I haven't eaten anything processed in my life.
My meals re the same now, just extra.

Even though I ate quite allot, I'm still skinny.
I have a friend who weighs around 110 pounds. He eats complete crap, his diet just consists of sweets and cereal on the whole. I tried to get him to start weight lifting with me, and starting a new diet but when we tried it, he just couldn't cope with the food.
He has allot of problems from ex ma to jaundice too, and its all down to his diet.

What I'm getting at is that I think its often a misconception, that if your skinny, you eat like a magpie and live an unhealthy lifestyle.

My opinion as far as abs go is that they're the icing on the cake.
I'm much more interested is getting a huge back and massive shoulders, than I am about abs.
I've started to care less and less about abs as I've gone on to be honest.

Abs have been popularized by the media, particularly in film. I guess guys see all the girls drooling over ripped actors, and want to replicate that.
Its understandable really if your only lifting to look good. You see women craving abs, so you do your best to appeal to them by getting a ripped six pack yourself.
Guys have a misconception about what females want, just as females have a misconception about what men really want in a woman. Some females (girls included) find the ripped male physique repulsive.

In the end, it a person's character that is decisive in what a woman or man will be drawn to, even if the initial looks, whatever they happen to be, play a minor role.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This is the kid from the quotes. We went from 115 to 190 and didn't get fat.

Nate Thibeault Went From Depressed To Diced | Muscle & Strength

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Guys have a misconception about what females want, just as females have a misconception about what men really want in a woman. Some females (girls included) find the ripped male physique repulsive.

In the end, it a person's character that is decisive in what a woman or man will be drawn to, even if the initial looks, whatever they happen to be, play a minor role.
Very true.

I have a friend who hates the fact that I'm weightlifting.
She hates big muscles and ripped bodies. She'd prefer me to stay as I am now.
I have another friend who couldn't care less how someone's body looks.

Its really the media thats to blame.
When he hears all the girls are after Ryan Reynolds, he'll do his best to look like him. Forgetting that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that there's a massive mix of what people are attracted to.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

There's only one person I'm worried about being attractive to, and that's my wife. I know that's not the perspective of people who are still in the dating pool, but being happy with yourself is WAY more important than being what you think other people will want. My wife loves that I'm big and strong, even if I'm not ripped. Start by being the person YOU want to be, then worry about finding someone who likes who you've become.

And if your signifigant other doesn't like where you're going but you do, you need to rethink things because maybe that person isn't who you need playing that role in your life.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
all the girls are after Ryan Reynolds
My wife loves that Ryan Reynolds guy. However, I am the polar opposite of Ryan Reynolds. Go figure. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote